• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Mosin nagant loose bolt

jgerrington

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
ms
My 91/30 bolt is loose to the point when I turn the rifle upside down and bearly shake it the bolt opens. Even does this with a round chambered. After I pull the trigger, it has some tension to it. Every other person complains of heavy bolt lift, but mine is sloppy. Any suggestions on a remedy?

Re: Mosin nagant loose bolt

Did you buy this rifle from a dealer or used? Is it easy to cock the bolt by pulling the cocking piece straight back? When the bolt is fired and not cocked is the trigger very loose?

I am thinking that the bolt spring is weak, broken, or has been modified. As the bolt should have resistance as you open/cock it. The other thing to consider is if the sear spring is loose, when you take the barreled action out, there is one screw that holds the spring in place.

I bought the gun from a dealer. As far as pulling the safety back its very stiff. I will check to see if the trigger is loose after its fired. After its fired is the only time there is any resistance to opening the bolt, but not much. The sear spring is tight. I'm not sure what the problem is. I ordered another firing pin spring wolf brand. Hopefully it will work. Will post results.

Have you checked the headspace? I don't think another spring is going to make a difference. If it's loose in the cocked position, it's still going to be loose with a different spring, as the spring tension is not on the bolt head when it's cocked.

I've read multiple posts where guns with stiff bolts people cut off a couple rings on firing pin spring and it helped loosen it up.
I don't want to spend money on headspace gauges. The bolt shouldn't be that loose whether there is a round chambered or not.

You don't have to buy the gauges just take it to a reputable gunsmith and it shouldn't cost more than $10~$12. Cheap insurance compared to the cost of a bolt sticking out of your forehead. The bolt head is a separate part and easily changed.

7b042a04.jpg

Just an update.
I bought a wolf extra power spring and it helped just a little. That spring is WAY more powerful than stock. I swapped bolts from another nagant and that fixed the problem. Bolt now has sufficient resistance that it will not open up if I don't open it myself. My bolt fit the other nagant like a glove as well. I did keep my bolt face so proper headspace will be retained.