• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

mosin nagant

Jc8612

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I'm fairly new to shooting and just got a nagant
Went to the range the other day and was wondering how accurate the mosin nagant should be at 100yds w/o optics.
I did not have much luck in the beginning and had to move up the target
When shooting my AR-15 and Ak-47 I would easily get all the rounds on a silhouette size target at 100yds
So is it just me or is it partially b/c the rifle was made in 1927
Also i was using surplus ammo from the '80s

Re: mosin nagant

my finnish m39 will do 1" groups at 100 yards, depending on the ammo. and most definitely will with handloads.

if you head over the the thunder valley thread in the tac competitions forum, you can ask some of the guys that were there on monday, i was hitting a 12"x12" steel plate at 600 yards, open sights with it.

Ok thanks that really helps I think I am going to need to try and sight it in better because I did not really do a great job of it the first time

do you know the country of origin? in my experience, the finnish and polish ones have been more accurate than the russian ones. how is the condition of the bore and crown?

it could be the ammo you are using as well. both my nagants really like the wolf 7.62x54r.

Depends on the model of Nagant you have.. As Chickeneye described, the M39 is about the most accurate Nagant model out there. The 91/30's and M44's, etc. are not as accurate and you should expect 2-4" grouping with surplus ammo and if the barrel is corroded/pitted or otherwise worn, expect alot worse than that.

Just my .02 cents

Since several countries produced MNs, the diameter of bores varied slightly which was enough to throw the accuracy down the toilet.

Some of them ARE accurate.
Some of them are NOT accurate.

Yes, the best ones out there made by Sako of Finland. The Finns addressed every single issue MNs had and came up with a truly sweet shooter. If you can find one, buy it.

The main thing is to check the bore and crown since lots of them are worn out.

yes I averaged 3" groups with brown bear with mine. Make sure you take care of the bore if you use corrosive ammo.

Good luck,
Merritt

Like it was said above, if the bore isn't pitted and there is no muzzle damage you could get 2-4" groups @ 100 yards supported. Those rifles were built so fast and in such numbers that extreme accuracy wasn't first priority. They wanted minute of man accuracy and essentially that is what they got. They were zeroed at 300 meters so you may have to compensate for that. Just try and find non-corrosive ammo and shoot the piss out of it. Learn the basics, get comfortable with it, it is a bolt action rifle after all. Learn to shoot it and if you want something better down the road, get it. If you like mil-surp rifles, you might look at a Swiss K-31. You can get them that have a flawless bore and are scary accurate. Good luck with the Mosin Nagant.

Kelly

You can also pull out much more accuracy out of MN if you customize one with real good bore to start with. I've done probably 20 MNs custom jobs or so, and was able to make some of them shoot real good with military surplus ammo. I agree that the best "made" ones are Polish M44s, and also, Finnish stuff is generally more accurate than Russian. However, if I get any decent condition MN with at least very good bore, I can probably make it a reasonably good shooter. I like short light scoped rifles, so here is the picture of some of my own modified MNs - one in the center and on the right have alum. stocks. All triggers are set for 2.0-2.5 lbs. pull. 1.5" at 100 years with Hungarian LPS is quite common, shooting from the rest.

The one on the left is the first one I've done, was a cheap way to cut the weight of MN with the scope to 8.5 lbs.
ModMNrifles.JPG

i shot 3" @ 100m with my M44 carbine with rusty bore and surplus ammo. Don't really see what people see in them.

I've shot my cousins a few times and we never hit sh*t with it haha

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t2M1hC4c0tc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t2M1hC4c0tc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

But it can be done.

i have one i bought for the hell of it that holds about 2 1/2-3 1/2 groups. just last week some kid brought one exactly like mine to the range and was having a hard time with it so i fired 5 rounds through it and had a hard time keeping in on a 10" sight in target.

I have a 91/30 'ex' sniper that I have not yet converted back to it's PU configuration.

With the exact ammo from Aim Surplus that you linked I can get a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards with it. Both the bore and the muzzle are flawless.

It's a project of mine but I wanted to eventually have it converted back and reload for it and see how far out I can get with the original 3.5 power optic.

My wild guess is that if you can do 1.5" at 100 right now, you got a real good chance to keep the first 4-5 shots in 1" group, using the scope and handloads. Or if you take your time between shots and keep the barrel from heating up too much, then naturally you're not limited to 4-5 shots to keep the group tight. Barrel heats up rather quickly, which is the reason I like shortening the barrels for better consistency.

Brownells new products catalog has a Timmey trigger for the Mosin-Nagant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kortik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also pull out much more accuracy out of MN if you customize one with real good bore to start with. I've done probably 20 MNs custom jobs or so, and was able to make some of them shoot real good with military surplus ammo. I agree that the best "made" ones are Polish M44s, and also, Finnish stuff is generally more accurate than Russian. However, if I get any decent condition MN with at least very good bore, I can probably make it a reasonably good shooter. I like short light scoped rifles, so here is the picture of some of my own modified MNs - one in the center and on the right have alum. stocks. All triggers are set for 2.0-2.5 lbs. pull. 1.5" at 100 years with Hungarian LPS is quite common, shooting from the rest.

The one on the left is the first one I've done, was a cheap way to cut the weight of MN with the scope to 8.5 lbs.
ModMNrifles.JPG

</div></div>

Kortik,

That is some <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> intersting work.
I just bought two M-39's, sporterizing one of them.
I'm assuming those are side-mount scope bases?
If you wouldn't mind sharing the info on them, I'd really appreciate it.
I have a nice Vortex I'm mounting and not really pleased with the aftermarket options I've looked at so far...

^^^what he said^^^

-Im particulary interested in the center one, wouldnt mind seeing some more pics of that.

Yes, it's a side mount. I was not happy with available options also, and made it myself from 1/8" thick ground flat steel stock. Left side of receiver was milled flat on the length of 4", two holes symmetrically spaced apart drilled and tapped to hold the mount. There is also a shim between the side mount and receiver to bring scope to the centerline. I also made steel rings, but existing low height 1" rings can be modified for this purpose. Each scope ring is held by one screw, to allow some pivotal motion, so they self allign when scope in mounted into the rings.

Another alternative is to use shotgun side mount with integral rings, with modifications. But you'll need much thicker shim to place the scope over the center of the barreled receiver, so shotgun mount will be sticking more to the left...

Another currently available alternative is the Rock Solid MN mount, it's good, but it was not available in 1990's, when I've been doing these mods. This mount works real well, but a bit too bulky for my taste.

I'll try to make more pictures of the left side and some close shots of the mount, and post them after the New Year.

Thanks. Appreciate the input.
Sounds like you put a lot of thought (and time) into the fabrication.
I agree about the Rock Solid. I wish they could come up with a different type of support, maybe a heavy thick rod, that could be extended to the side of the rear receiver for support instead of the entire bulky mount with the set screw. You have to drill and tap there anyway, something less obtrusive would be an improvement.

I'm hoping it's a good enough shooter to make the effort worthwhile. Are they capable at long range?

Also, since you know your Mosin "stuff"...
If the accuracy doesn't pan out to what I want (around 2 moa) I was considering one of the new UK-59 MG barrels that are being sold. I've seen a couple of them used for conversions and if you believe what you read online they're tack drivers with those barrels, albiet very heavy beasts. Have you ever done, or considered that conversion? My smith says it's not too big a deal to fit those barrels to the action.

I wanted a Mosin for CMP GSM Vintage Rifle Matches. It has to be "as issued". I hit Cabala's when they just got a batch in. I was able to go through them with a bore light and picked up a M91/30 that looked great.

It was a tad stiff, but with tons of dryfiring it loosened up pretty good. I don't shoot surplus ammo so got some Sierra 150 grn .311 bullets and loaded them with 44 grns of 4895, Winchester Brass. Shoot good but 8 inches high when set on the 100 Meter mark. OK no big deal. Did some figuring and decided that if I could lower the sight .0061, it would move the impact one inch per hundred yards (MOA). I was bottomed out so I took the rear sight off. I stuck the slider (sight itself) in the milling machine and milled .0488 off the bottom. Re-installed the sight and it now centers at 100 yards when the sight was set at 100 meters.

It now works when you set the sights at 200, 300, 400 by setting the sights on the respective mark. (400 is as far as my range goes)

With the loads I had, I can keep them within 2.5 MOA. If your gun can shoot 2.5 MOA, you should be able to clean the 200 yard NRA HP Target (used in the CMP GSM matches).

Now the problem with the Mosin in GSM matches is the rapid fire. You have to learn to load the stripper clips, and work the the bolt. This can be done by loading up some dummy rounds and hours of dry firing.

For good cheap practice, I made some reduced targets for 25 yards, loaded some cast bullets with trailboss and blast away.

Sure you can gimmick up the thing and thats ok, but I like shooting GSM games with "as issued rifles" and they will do that.

In Short, the Mosin (with a half way dicent barrel) will shoot. It just takes some effort on our part to learn how to shoot it.

A side note, Hornady is now making Match 7.62X54R loads for the CMP Vintage Sniper Matches. Also GSM (Garand, Springfield, Military) vintage rifle matches are won on your feet, not your belly. Dry fire and practice off hand helps more then anything else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. Appreciate the input.
Sounds like you put a lot of thought (and time) into the fabrication.
I agree about the Rock Solid. I wish they could come up with a different type of support, maybe a heavy thick rod, that could be extended to the side of the rear receiver for support instead of the entire bulky mount with the set screw. You have to drill and tap there anyway, something less obtrusive would be an improvement.

I'm hoping it's a good enough shooter to make the effort worthwhile. Are they capable at long range?

Also, since you know your Mosin "stuff"...
If the accuracy doesn't pan out to what I want (around 2 moa) I was considering one of the new UK-59 MG barrels that are being sold. I've seen a couple of them used for conversions and if you believe what you read online they're tack drivers with those barrels, albiet very heavy beasts. Have you ever done, or considered that conversion? My smith says it's not too big a deal to fit those barrels to the action. </div></div>

MN is capable at long range, but to tell you the truth, I do not think common MN will do as good as full custom version. You would likely need to replace the barrel with something heavy, do all trigger stuff, which is not limited to just sticking Timney in it, and most likely, use barrel bedding block instead of action bedding if you REALLY want to shoot beyound 800 meters. Finns actually used barrel bedding blocks with free floating receivers to make long range MN based tackdrivers, they also think MN receiver is too weak to support free floating HEAVY barrel, which may answer your question about UK-59 barrel. I never did barrel upgrades, and always used original barreled actions in good condition. But I can tell you that removing MN barrel is a REAL pain in the butt, it's not Mauser. I also think it will be very expensive to do UK-59 based modification, so get ready to invest some serious bucks if you're using some hired help. I trust your gunsmith is a good guy, but if he never touched MN before, it will take him some time and effort to get it right. Ammo, of course, is a factor, handloads or russian "Extra" sporting ammo will do the trick, this is really no big deal.. Also, Barnaul made 203 gr. SP hunting ammo is quite accurate as is, and has very, very impressive "kill" performance on medium and large game.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Brand new </span>UK-59 barrel may work, with some extra machining, including profiling - but be ready to carry 17-19 lbs. rifle. Not my cup of tea. My objective was to create smooth, compact and lightweight scoped rifles with refined triggers, reduced recoil and flash for use in woods or mountains, as rugged and handy as possible, and packing a good punch, which 7.62x54R provides with ease. My stuff is certainly <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> long range, but just a practical solution to the specific objective. Aluminum stocks and short barrels work extremely well for consistency, and muzzle brakes (my own design, with some expansion chamber inside) cut recoil to comfortable level and take good care of the flash.

In general, I would not personally use MG barrel for MN, too much work and results are not guaranteed. Instead, I would get barreled action with the best bore possible, with good chamber free of erosion, then cut length of the barrel to below 24", re-crown, free float the barrel, desirably use muzzle brake, fix original trigger by changing sear engagement angle, possibly do receiver bedding and, of course, scope the rifle. That will get you a nice .30 cal compact rifle with some "short range precision" capabilities.

Last thing - old barreled actions are mostly free of any stresses left after original machining, as 50-70 years is a good time frame for natural stress removal. Helps a bit with accuracy/consistency just because of that...

Thanks again.
I'm hoping that the rifle will shoot as-is. Bore looks pretty decent.
I put it into a Boyds stock, fabricated pillars from 1" steel rod stock and bedded them in with the entire action and first inch of the barrel.
I purchased and installed an aftermarket mount which ended up being defective so I'm back to looking at other options. Guess I'll go with the Rock-Solid, but as you said- pretty ugly, even if functional. That's why I didn't select it as my first choice.

I know little about gunsmithing- but I showed the UK-59 barrels on Gunbroker to my smith (who admits to some, but not a lot, of Mosin experience) and he said it looks like a rather simple setback and re-chamber job. Perhaps he's incorrect.

Understood about the $$ aspect and getting a professional involved. Gotta watch the $$...so it doesn't get ridiculous. But for me, it's not all about the $$$- it's the fun of doing- and having- something different as I can tell you understand. The MG barrels are brand new, and unfired. They were purchased for a project that did not work out, and are re-profiled. I realize they are heavy, but this would be a BR gun anyway...Just brought it up in case you were unaware of them and might want to "play" with the idea.

Of course I can buy a $600 Savage and have a more accurate rifle...that's not the point....

If you decide to use MG barrel, here is s specific thread that may be of interest to you:

Monster Mosin

Just an idea, not trying to steer you in "my direction", but kind of to "add" more fun factor - build two MNs in two steps:

1. First, build one with original barrel, say super lite MN, somthing along the lines of my approach, to carry with you on the hunt, in the field. You'll learn a few tricks in the process, find out if you like the mount, etc. It's not easy to make scoped MN under 8 lbs, a bit of a challenge here. Will not cost you big bucks, but you'll gain some hands-on expreience specific to MN, and then apply it to your next project. BTW, my "black carbine" in the center is 7.7 lbs. scoped...

2. Second, build the BR version with MG barrel. Your expense for this one will mostly be related to UK-59 integration, and the rest can be done mostly by you, with gained familiarity to MN specifics from the first project.

Good luck.

mine dont shoot for crap, but is is still fun to shoot. part of the issue with mine is the front sight post is bent(need to fix that) and the other part, i just cant figure out. it shoots 8-12" groups at 100 yards every time i take it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kortik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you decide to use MG barrel, here is s specific thread that may be of interest to you:

Monster Mosin

Just an idea, not trying to steer you in "my direction", but kind of to "add" more fun factor - build two MNs in two steps:

1. First, build one with original barrel, say super lite MN, somthing along the lines of my approach, to carry with you on the hunt, in the field. You'll learn a few tricks in the process, find out if you like the mount, etc. It's not easy to make scoped MN under 8 lbs, a bit of a challenge here. Will not cost you big bucks, but you'll gain some hands-on expreience specific to MN, and then apply it to your next project. BTW, my "black carbine" in the center is 7.7 lbs. scoped...

2. Second, build the BR version with MG barrel. Your expense for this one will mostly be related to UK-59 integration, and the rest can be done mostly by you, with gained familiarity to MN specifics from the first project.

Good luck.

</div></div>

That's a great idea...
The second Mosin I bought <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> have a headspace issue anyway. It failed a no-go, and I need to order a field gauge from PTG. Since it may have an issue anyway, this would be the perfect candidate for a barrel conversion.

I read that thread, I hadn't seen it over there- thanks!
Holy shit- 5 shots into a quarter at 200 yards??? With old ball ammo! There's $5K sticks around here that won't do that...

I had read elsewhere that those supposedly "in the know" say that working with a Mosin action is a waste of time... imprecise, split action, yada, yada....

The proof is in the target. I'm gonna go for it once I get this first rifle done. I'll probably need the second one anyway, as I'm sure my sons are gonna steal the first one!

<span style="font-weight: bold">I had read elsewhere that those supposedly "in the know" say that working with a Mosin action is a waste of time... imprecise, split action, yada, yada....</span>

As always, it depends on application. Mosin action is 120 year old design, and I sincerely doubt it is particularly suitable for some super accurate long range shooting. On the other hand, MN action is very cheap, EASY to machine, works real well in <span style="text-decoration: underline">contaminated conditions </span>and strong enough to handle full size .30 cal rifle cartridge. Also, magazine design with interruptor works extremely well for rimmed cartridges - it's no SMLE, which is the greatest rifle with magazine which could be much better.

These are the reason why I like MNs and used them for my custom rifles.

one of my friends has an M44 variant and i can shoot 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards with it. it will make a difference if you have the bayonet extended or folded back, same is true with the 91/30's they'll shoot different if you have the bayonet attached. once you put a bunch of rounds through it in both configurations you'll learn to compensate for the differences in how it shoots

Mine was a lemon, but my friends shot pretty good with handloads. Right around 1.5-2.00 MOA at 100. The trigger pull is terrible and is the bolt cycling once they have warmed up a little bit. They seem to get stickier and stickier. Also, if you decide to get one, try to find one with the least amount of visible barrel wear. Some of these can be found with very decent barrels on them still.