• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mosin Scope Idea

Tarheelpwr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
SW PA
So,

I'm been trying to talk myself into a Mosin for a while, but I just can't talk myself into taking money from my other projects. Im getting close. My question is on the feasibility of mounting a LPS TIP 2 to a mosin? I love the idea, but did not know if it's possible. If it is, what all would be involved? I would assume at a min, change the bolt handle angle, etc.

Chris

Unless you really need the extra $150 or so, I vote that you go ahead and get a nice Mosin while you can and worry about the scope details at a later date. I do not believe that you will regret doing so. Just my opinion.

You could, but why?

There were some fake "snipers" made with LPS type scopes, ten years ago, or more by one of the importers who got a bright idea (and destroyed a bunch of nice Finn M39s in the process:().The problems you'll face are that the LPS sits even higher than the PE/PEM/PU, so the already poor cheek weld will be even worse and is offset to the left, where the original variant mounts keep the scope centered over the bore. I would just buy a real PU and be done with it. Another technical issue would be with the amount of available elevation, especially if the scope base isn't set up exactly right. The PEM/PU mounts could be adjusted for rough elevation. I don't think the base for the LPS would allow for that, so it would have to be mounted perfectly.

You could, but why?

There were some fake "snipers" made with LPS type scopes, ten years ago, or more by one of the importers who got a bright idea (and destroyed a bunch of nice Finn M39s in the process:().The problems you'll face are that the LPS sits even higher than the PE/PEM/PU, so the already poor cheek weld will be even worse and is offset to the left, where the original variant mounts keep the scope centered over the bore. I would just buy a real PU and be done with it. Another technical issue would be with the amount of available elevation, especially if the scope base isn't set up exactly right. The PEM/PU mounts could be adjusted for rough elevation. I don't think the base for the LPS would allow for that, so it would have to be mounted perfectly.

I agree with John. Get an original PU. The Soviets knew what they were doing. If you want cheaper, get a PU replica for less money. If you want modern optics, a guy on gunboards makes a solid mount that goes in the PU base and you can mount a 1 inch modern scope.

Or a PE mount, it sits a tad lower than the PU. They were on earlier model Mosins, but if you have a war era izzy round the PU would be period correct. I feel the correct mount(installed straight) will add value, as the rifle can be sold as a repro.

Rifles Of The Red Star

I'm not a huge exact copy type guy. I'm just getting one for fun. Was waiting on a Polish carbine, and I think I finally found one.

I just really liked the TIP 2 scopes, but since I ended up with a carbine, I may mount a scout scope or put mojo peeps on it.

This is going to be a fun refinish type project.