• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Mosins...

_Shay_

thing 2
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2009
USA
I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm wanting to get a Mosin now. With the prices they are, why not? I got to researching, and I found the PU sniper scope for them, and it seems like it would be a fun little project piecing together the mosin, scope, etc.

I'm wanting the end result to be like this,

http://www.gunpics.net/russian/m9130pu/pu1.JPG

Re: Mosins...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">durring the war production was rushed and quality went to shit.</div></div>

Mine was made in 1943, its a pretty good shooter. Capable of cleaning the GSM 100 yard Vintage Military Rifle targets.

I'm running a 1928 russian m91/30 and is in mint condition minus refinishing the stock. the war time models were not finished as nicely and had rough tool marks. if putting money into a mosin start with a good base rifle

Shay, as with any project, the end result will only be as good as the individual components and care taken when building up the rifle.

Make sure you get a rifle that is a proven shooter as the basis and a good quality mount professionally fitted and the finished job should be a good one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you get one get a pre WWII model durring the war production was rushed and quality went to shit. </div></div>

Really??? Good luck finding a pre-WWII with all matching numbers AND with a good bore! Mausers' QC went down the toilet by 1944 but not Mosins. They were produced up to the same specs as they were at the turn of the century. I guess you forget that the Russians were outproducing Germans 10 to 1 and there were NO shortages of steel. Can't say the same for the Nazis. Their Panther and Tiger tanks were experiencing the same QC issues by the end of the war.

I have a 1931 hex and a 1943 91/30 and I love them both. The '31 is a lot better shooter and the action is more smooth, but the '43 is great too! Can't beat the price at $70.00. I picked both up for $160.00
smile.gif

I have a 1925 & a 1938. Both with matching barrels and mint bores and crown.The PE has a hex receiver and the PU round. One has the PU scope and the other a PE. Using Czech silvertip ammo both will do an honest 2" all day long. Its getting harder to find nice Mosin 91's and I paid a premium for a matched numbers rifle in excellent condition but the end result is a nice shooter.

IMG_1809.jpg

Their a fun rifle to shoot. Mine is a 1936 all matching numbers I put a psop 6x42 scope on it, it sets a little higher than I wanted it to but it works.

2011-07-31_10-25-46_336.jpg

I built this as a cheap plinker. Did all the work myself. Started out as a 1938 91/30 from Big5 for $100. I have about $400 in the gun total. $150 of that is in the scope. I will upgrade the scope eventually, but it shoots 1 MOA with surplus ammo. Working on some handloads for it.
Waaay cheaper to shoot than my 30-06 with Lead-free ammo hahaha.

MosinSnow015.jpg

I have a 1928 and a 1944, the 1928 is built much better than the 44, but my wifes M44 (the short one with the side folding bayonet) is built way crappier than both. Definately look into an older one, and if you can find one with matching serial numbers, you won't be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 1925 & a 1938. Both with matching barrels and mint bores and crown.The PE has a hex receiver and the PU round. One has the PU scope and the other a PE. Using Czech silvertip ammo both will do an honest 2" all day long. Its getting harder to find nice Mosin 91's and I paid a premium for a matched numbers rifle in excellent condition but the end result is a nice shooter.

IMG_1809.jpg
</div></div>

Those are beauties! I love the PU scope, but I cant spend $300 + on one of the scopes right now!

tell me what went to shit again? any proof for your blank statement? unless 1928 Mosins were kept in a cosmoline for 80+ years and were not in extensive use during WWII, all of them have worn out crowns and throats...simple physics. if I ever find such Mosin, I will definitely buy it. it's going to be the third one I own...Even BETTER, I would like to find a pre-WWI Mosin with a Zeiss scope. Not too many were made, I am sure you know all about it...It will make a great competitor to my Finnish one...the only problem I see may happen with a pre-WWI model is...the bore...High usage/stress/pressure metals don't last forever I don't care who you are.

I've seen rifles made in the eighteenth century with bores in considerably excellent condition, how it was stored is the key.

I have a Winchester 1894 made in 1906 that has seen several thousand rounds over the last century, and the bore is still perfect. It just depends on storage/cleaning.

Crown / muzzle damage = idiot with steel cleaning rod.
Rotted bore= idiot did not clean properly.

There are some guns still floating around in nice original condition. An arsenal re-build that was never re-issued and stored can be the basis of a very nice rig.

Of all the surplus rifles I have handled the Swiss guns have some of the nicest barrels. The 6.5 or the Schmidt-Rubin are tops. I don't think they loaded corrosive ammo so that is a plus.

A lot of Mosin's were put to use and some used hard. Finding a nice one is getting harder but worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: devildog62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">God damn cal50 and lefty06! Where did you get those mosin scope bases from? My buddy would shit for a set of those </div></div>

They make a rail for the left hand side of the receiver. The mount slides on just like on a COMBLOC gas gun.

You can even find them on eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?_nkw=Sniper+Side+Rail+Mosin+Nagant+rifle+mount+POSP+scopes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: devildog62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">God damn cal50 and lefty06! Where did you get those mosin scope bases from? My buddy would shit for a set of those </div></div>

They make a rail for the left hand side of the receiver. The mount slides on just like on a COMBLOC gas gun.

You can even find them on eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?_nkw=Sniper+Side+Rail+Mosin+Nagant+rifle+mount+POSP+scopes </div></div>

Looks like those would be better because they set lower

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lefty06</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: devildog62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">God damn cal50 and lefty06! Where did you get those mosin scope bases from? My buddy would shit for a set of those </div></div>

You can even find them on eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?_nkw=Sniper+Side+Rail+Mosin+Nagant+rifle+mount+POSP+scopes </div></div>

Looks like those would be better because they set lower </div></div>

Downside is putting holes in it and relieving wood a hair or two.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/mosinsniperproject/index.asp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Crown / muzzle damage = idiot with steel cleaning rod.
Rotted bore= idiot did not clean properly.

There are some guns still floating around in nice original condition. An arsenal re-build that was never re-issued and stored can be the basis of a very nice rig.

Of all the surplus rifles I have handled the Swiss guns have some of the nicest barrels. The 6.5 or the Schmidt-Rubin are tops. I don't think they loaded corrosive ammo so that is a plus.

A lot of Mosin's were put to use and some used hard. Finding a nice one is getting harder but worth it. </div></div>

True, that I understand. Finding a nice one is definitely getting harder. I have also seen 19th Century rifles with great bores but let's face it, most of them are no good even if you use it as a blow gun...

Love 'em. Have a Polish M44 and Finnish M39 Sako. The Finnish M28/30 are amazingly accurate with iron sights, had two but sold them to help fund the business.

The Finns are riflemen. The action is "end of the world" reliable IMHO

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting find, the TKIV-85 is in current use as a sniper rifle by the Finnish Defense Forces.

All the Mosin haters out there that are always sayin' "don't waste your money on that POS action"...put this in yer pipe and smoke it...

http://www.elisanet.fi/gliderpilot/kuvat/maanpuolustus/tarkka-amp/t-amp%2034.jpg </div></div>

They changed bedding in -85 update. New bedding block in breech end of barrel. Mosin is still going strong, some of those I have tried are amazingly accurate, most very.
Std ammo is loaded with 200gr Lapua D166, supersonic up to 750meters or so. Not too streamlined bullet but hits hard. Its originally developed for MG:s from better long range suitable 185gr Lapua D46 bullet.
Edit: Army uses 2 different optics. Its either Zeiss 1.5-6x or Hensold fixed 4x. Both have matched BDC:s in turret.
Magnification is bit low, but Armys idea (so I have been told) was that low power is more familiar for reserve snipers who have used to shoot and hunt with low magnifications. Gets the job done, as long as spotter has good optics IMO.

Complete Finnish Army TKIV85 kit in pic, excluding hard storage case.
762_TKIV85_uses_Mosinparts_e.jpg

Army match trigger (adjustable single stage, no safety)
mosinadjustabletrigger.jpg

Barrel block.
Action and rest of the barrel rest freely, only block is bedded to stock.
Block is heat-shrink fitted.
muhviwx8.jpg

Bedding:
tukkiwf2.jpg

Action:
tkiv6du6.jpg

Trigger adjustment holes in trigger guard.
2zhhyqh.jpg

Zeiss 1.5-6x reticle:
71gw03.jpg

Old pimped warhorse and 20" bushy resting together. Funny thing is that I took this pic years ago, as well as accessory pic, and found them with google. No idea how they ended up there...
shocked.gif

fbztz6.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting find, the TKIV-85 is in current use as a sniper rifle by the Finnish Defense Forces.

All the Mosin haters out there that are always sayin' "don't waste your money on that POS action"...put this in yer pipe and smoke it...

http://www.elisanet.fi/gliderpilot/kuvat/maanpuolustus/tarkka-amp/t-amp%2034.jpg </div></div>

They changed bedding in -85 update. New bedding block in breech end of barrel. Mosin is still going strong, some of those I have tried are amazingly accurate. Std ammo is loaded with 200gr Lapua D166, supersonic up to 750meters or so. Not too streamlined bullet, originally developed for MG.

Complete Finnish Army TKIV85 kit in pic, excluding hard storage case.
762_TKIV85_uses_Mosinparts_e.jpg

Match trigger (adjustable single stage, no safety)
mosinadjustabletrigger.jpg

</div></div>

Damn nice!!!!

depends on what one wants in a mosin sniper. an un buggered original? good luck. an accurate repro? sure PM,PEM and PU are available and reasonable,sorta. hungarians? good luck! some finn guns around lately. match guns done,likely in 60s. not military snipers at all. for anyone wanting even an accurate repro,you MUST go to gunboards.com and study the huge amt of data there. there are 2 or 3 guys there that are THE experts on mosins/mosin snipers. i know a lot about mosins,but would not seek to buy even a repro without upgrading/refreshing my knowledge.