• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Mosquito or P22 for suppression

hk_mk_23

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
NC USA
Which 22lr pistol would you choose for suppression? I want to start with a pistol that comes from the mfg company with a threaded barrel like the Mosquito and P22, so pro's and con's on these 2 will most appreciated. Also add comments for any other pistols that can be bought form the mfg company with a threaded barrel, and comments of the best barrel lenght to use for the Mosquito, P22 or other pistols.

Re: Mosquito or P22 for suppression

here you go...a S&W model 622 got a supported barrel....just get a 40.00 adapter from a hide member here remove the barrel nut , screw on the adapter and use the existing factory sights...

MVC-013S-6.jpg

I understand both pistols are manufactured by the same company. When I was in the market for a suppressed pistol I narrowed my search to the sig and walther... and not having a bias towards either went with the P22 because it was smaller and I got a better deal. My P22 functions flawlessly with little maintenance. My friend who is looking for a pistol to suppress is getting a sig, cuz he likes sigs

I am sure the S&W model 622 is a fine pistol, but I did not find it at impact guns, guns america or the S&W website. If I found one and bought it and bought an adapter won't the barrel still need some threading or something done to it to receive the adapter? Thanks for you reply.

I might be wrong but I don't think both pistols are manufactured by the same company, I find the Walther P22 on the Smith and Wesson website, and the mosquito on the sig site. Which barrel lenght did you choose for your P22?

browning has a new .22 pistol with a threaded barrel.to me both the sig an walther felt cheap.owned both an sold`em.baught a ruger 45/22 had the barrel threaded.LOVE IT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk_mk_23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sure the S&W model 622 is a fine pistol, but I did not find it at impact guns, guns america or the S&W website. If I found one and bought it and bought an adapter won't the barrel still need some threading or something done to it to receive the adapter? Thanks for you reply. </div></div>

It's factory threaded - simply add the thread adapter and you're GTG. It's a cool S&W pistol that you don't see very much anymore - I think it may be discontinued, but I'm not sure on that. I bought one for about $100.00 a few years ago.

The P22 handles all types of ammo better than the Sig Sauer Mosquito. The Sig comes with two springs, one for regular - light charged ammo & one for the CCI mini- mag stuff that is a little more hot so that you can maintain reliable feeding. Regardless, my Sig is temperamental with what ammo it likes and my P22 shoots all of it.

I like the grip of the Sig much better, as well as the sights and general makeup of the pistol - just wished it shot everything flawlessly instead of CCI mini mag.

I have had a P22 blow up on me though - S$W took it back and sent out a new one though. Cracked the slide and blew it off the back of the pistol, but luckily the front of the slide stayed anchored. Luckily I had my shooting glasses on because all of the debris came back and peppered my face. The one that they sent back to me shot fine though.

2jetzpw.jpg

33df66w.jpg

I would avoid each of the 2 you mentioned but the P22 is more reliable and has abetter trigger.

CP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpermd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would avoid each of the 2 you mentioned but the P22 is more reliable and has abetter trigger.

CP </div></div>

CP

Which 22lr pistol would you use to suppress? I am not set in stone. I just think it would be nice, (but not a deal breaker) if the barrel was threaded when I bought the gun, so I don't have to send the gun & $100 off and wait. I know I will be waiting for the suppressor but I can be using the gun as soon as I buy it if I don't send it off to have the barrel threaded. If I have to send a pistol off for threading I would have to consider sending my mark 3 slab side target model, and that may be the best, I am asking.

I recently bought a Browning Buck Mark Camper Whisper. It comes with a factory threaded barrel and thread protector. The treading is 1/2x28 so you won't need an adapter for most 22 cans like you will if you get the Mosquito. So far I have been more than happy with the reliability and accuracy with my SWR Spectre suppressor. I ended up selling my Sig mosquito because I like the Browning better. The Whisper is only distributed by Lipsey's so you might have to do a little digging to find one. I'm sure any FFl that deals with Lipsey's can order one for you.

I have the P22...works well. I have owned both the Buckmark and the Ruger...dont know what posessed me to sell the buckmark. That would be a much better choice than the Walther/Sig

I would get the p22 over the sig. The p22 was a good pistol but small and hard to break down with that whole spring deal IMO. The sig was really picky with ammo. I ended up settling with a CZ Kadet and love it. Good size frame for my larger hands and breaks down in seconds. No problems cycling ammo with the AAC. Price is the only factor. Looks like this.

http://www.tornado-technologies.com/images/threading/CZ_kadet.jpg

I'm fond of my P22. No issues and it eats everything. I've probably put 3,500+ rounds through it without cleaning. For some reason no one talks about the Tac-65 suppressor around here, I don't know if they have a bad rep or what, I really like mine.

Here is an interesting read on the P22
P22 Bible

Mosquito is a pos a buddy of mine bought one and we broke it after 500 rounds jam not fire would not feed got taken back and he has a 22/45 ruger

I bought my son a Mosquito, big mistake and what a piece of shit. Will not cycle the low end ammo, really the only ammo that would function somewhat consistant was the CCI mini mag HV..That pistol shoulda been called the "Jam o Matic"...Stay away bud!!!

Really if you like a Sig buy the full size .22 version in either 226 or 229 with the ability to buy another barrel and turn it into a 9MM or another caliber. Thats what we did and it runs great, also very accurate and eats anything we put in it.

I had a P22 that was absolutely flawless as well. I think they are great little pistols.

Pay once, cry once.
Neither of your choices should be expected to be long lived.
The slides are zinc, for Pete's sake!
Ruger-have it threaded.
Buckmark-buy it threaded.
S&W 422/622/2206-HotRod9MM's $45 adapter replaces the barrel nut.
S&W M-41 with a threaded Bully Barrel.
Glock/AAkit/Kadet/practically anythng with a decent reputation for durability and reliability.

I can agree with what's been said a couple of times. Either get a Ruger or Buckmark threaded, buy a TacSol barrel for them, or get a threaded conversion kit for a center fire pistol. Have heard much more bad about the "cool .22's" than good.

I wouldn't own either of them, either. Both are known to be jammomatics unless fed steady diets of CCI mini-mags.

If a .22 won't shoot federal bulk pack, it's junk to me.

got a sig mosquito suppressed with a gemtech outbackII half the time and a silencerco sparrow the other half, my rig runs flawless and is very quiet, alot of fun.

I have both and have shot multiple silencers on both. P22 jams and the mosquito runs like a top. The ruger is flawless. Go with an AWC amphibian S and save yourself the head aches of sub-sonic ammo.

I had a mosquito and all it did was jammed. I haven't met anyone who actually likes them. Had a ruger Mark III which I miss, I'll be getting another one soon.

My mosquito runs muck better than my ruger mark 3 hhmmmm ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a mosquito and all it did was jammed. I haven't met anyone who actually likes them.</div></div>

Well you have now. I like my Mosquito. I run it mostly suppressed and it has been very reliable. I have a Ruger 22/45 with a Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite upper and it has been more picky about ammo than my SIG.

One of the big things with the Mosquito. A lot of people don't fully read the instructions. It says to use a least 500 rounds of Mini-Mags to break it in. Once you do that it usually runs great. I have also seen a lot of people who have not had the correct recoil spring in the gun for the ammo they are shooting.

Have both, the wife has the P22 and I have the Mosquito. Both run 100% on Remington Bulk Golden Bullets, Dont think I have ever cleaned the P22 and have only cleaned the Sig once. Running them supressed they both are equally quiet (I dont use subsonics) The P22 sights suck, I like the Sig much better. The Sig does have a poi shift with the outback2 but I think it is the cheap adapter I have. The walther seems fine.

I have a P22 I would gladly trade to anyone not satisfied with their mosquito. I guess the P22 shots OK, Ii just like the fit of the Sig better.

My buddy has a P22 with a Check Mate. It is quite and a lot of fun to shoot

I purchased a Mosguito to run with my Check Mate. It to0 is quiet and fun to shoot.

The difference in the 2 is that his trigger sucks and mine really sucks. Not that big of a deal because we are not shooting for precision.

So i got a Gemtech Oasis and mounted it on ruger 22/45. That is the ticket.
They are all fun, run well and have put the throw down on a bunch of field mice.

Either way remember that just because they dont make a bunch of noise doesnt mean they are not dangerous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here you go...a S&W model 622 got a supported barrel....just get a 40.00 adapter from a hide member here remove the barrel nut , screw on the adapter and use the existing factory sights...

MVC-013S-6.jpg
</div></div>

Can someone tell me where i can buy one of thoses adaptor !!

Thank's

Respectfully

Marc

I bought my daughter a Mosquito for her birthday...it does need broke in as reccomended in the instructions, hers ran pretty well out of the box with a few hicups,now after 500 plus it is pretty solid, there are a couple of easy mods to make it feed better and they can be googled. Am I completely happy with it? No, the trigger is atrocious! The double action stage is I believe 16 lbs...the single action is bearable. I have not dealt with a trigger job yet, but it needs one for sure. WOuld I buy another one...no. Probally will build up a Buckmark with with TacSol barrel next.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marc_Andre</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here you go...a S&W model 622 got a supported barrel....just get a 40.00 adapter from a hide member here remove the barrel nut , screw on the adapter and use the existing factory sights...

MVC-013S-6.jpg
</div></div>

Can someone tell me where i can buy one of thoses adaptor !!

Thank's

Respectfully

Marc</div></div>

http://www.diproductsinc.com/

.....here you go......

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3605

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WoofersInc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a mosquito and all it did was jammed. I haven't met anyone who actually likes them.</div></div>

Well you have now. I like my Mosquito. I run it mostly suppressed and it has been very reliable. I have a Ruger 22/45 with a Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite upper and it has been more picky about ammo than my SIG.

One of the big things with the Mosquito. A lot of people don't fully read the instructions. It says to use a least 500 rounds of Mini-Mags to break it in. Once you do that it usually runs great. I have also seen a lot of people who have not had the correct recoil spring in the gun for the ammo they are shooting. </div></div>

+1 here.
Add me to the list of Mosquito fans. Perhaps one of the lucky ones, but as stated here, I ran a ton of the Mini-mags through mine, made sure I had the correct spring in there, and have run all sorts of "junk ammo" through mine with no problems at all. I run an AAC Aviator and an SWR CHEYENNE XXL with no malfunctions at all. Lucky, perhaps, but I do like the size of the Mosquito compared to the P22, and have no complaints about function.

Just a suggestion, but if own a Glock you might look into Tactical Solutions. They sell a dedicated .22 upper with a threaded barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JustShootOK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought my daughter a Mosquito for her birthday...it does need broke in as reccomended in the instructions, hers ran pretty well out of the box with a few hicups,now after 500 plus it is pretty solid, there are a couple of easy mods to make it feed better and they can be googled. Am I completely happy with it? No, the trigger is atrocious! The double action stage is I believe 16 lbs...the single action is bearable. I have not dealt with a trigger job yet, but it needs one for sure. WOuld I buy another one...no. Probally will build up a Buckmark with with TacSol barrel next. </div></div>

I added a link I was refering too:http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/54410021

SIG Makes as fine a pistol as money can buy in my book. I got a mosquito with threaded barrel for a can to live on. Bought from a friend who is a SIG dealer. Big let down. It feels like a piece of shit, it operates like a piece of shit and I sold it. I have had Ruger MK II and now a 22/45. I put a pac-lite threaded upper on the 22/45 and its great. I would not recommend the Sig Mosquito. I hate to see the SIG name on it because of the others I have that are real guns. Good luck with your search.

It's interesting to me to read through the replies! It just goes to show that everything evens out in the end. You got people who love and hate both of the pistol's you've asked about. Heard reports of flawless function and lots of failures on both.

In the end your decision will come down to which one you like better of the two. You will end up having to pick one & give it a shot and see what happens. Or as some of the other advice given says go with a ruger or browning. Something you rarely ever see is reports of the marks or buckmarks being unreliable or owners who are unhappy with either. I'm sure though if you dig deep enough you could find those opinions also!

I have the P22 and its been a great little plinker pistol for me. I can't wait to get my can and play with it! I also have a buckmark that is probably my favorite pistol to shoot, it too will be getting a threaded bbl. Can never go wrong with multiple hosts right??

get a quality 22 if u are going to the expense of a can---the low
quality guns will not run for long and not many gunsmiths will work on them--no aftermarket triggers and such

ruger makes an integrally supressed MK3 thats pretty rockin. while the P22 is a decent little pistol, if you have large hands it feels kinda toyish. i did own a mosquito, it was a very good pistol as long as you shot mini-mags or some comprable 22lr out of it. . .it hated cheap bulk 22. passed it along to a friend who wanted to shoot idpa and needed something to practice with. and i bought a 22 conversion for my 226.
i knew people that didnt care for them, but those of us locally that i knew understood their pistol and treated it correctly, it served its purpose very well.

I'm not aware that RUGER makes suppressors, integral or not, though there are LOTS of folks who SELL integrally suppressed MKII/MMIII.

Then there's the whole can vs integral debate. I figure your first suppressor should be a .22 can, for the versatility.

As to which gun, the only reasons for the popularity of Mosquitos and P-22s are the low price, pre threaded condition, and tacticool looks. You'll note there's nothing said about durability, reliability, or serviceability. In the 6 or 7 years these things have been sold, they have acquired a reputation that's spotty, at best.

Ruger's been making their .22 pistol for 60 years. Buckmarks have been in production at least 20 years. The worst you ever hear about Rugers is from some guy with an abnormally high thumb/finger ratio about how hard they are to service. You rarely hear about unreliability of one that's broken in, or about broken parts, even the new (20 years or so) model with the plastic grip frame. Buckmarks enjoy a similar reputation for reliability. These are guns your grandchildren can fight over.
They cost little more than these AirSoft-meets-.22 tacticool range toys.

Buckmark is available threaded, and a bunch of folks will shorten/thread your Ruger.

There are 3 models of Sig Classics that have threaded barrels available; these are not bad pistols, but they cost a lot more than Ruger. or Buckmarks. Clark sells threaded match barrels for M-41s at the price of a whole Ruger, CZ's Kadet is VERY strong and reliable and can be threaded, for a big price. Long barrels are available for Advantage Arms Glock .22 kits.

Any of these will give longer, more satisfying service than a $300 import. Do you have any idea how low the production cost of these things has to be to sell, after our protective tariffs for $300?

If you've recently submitted your Form 4, you have time to buy a better gun and get it threaded, if it doesn't come that way.

Buy once, cry once.

I have a Buckmark with a TacSol threaded barrel to attach my TAC65. It is great and hasn't given me any problems. Accurate as all get out. I have, however, been looking for a smaller platform. I'm familiar with the P22 issues, but I do think it is a nice looking pistol. If I could find a good used one I might pick it up. In the end, I think I will get my Beretta 21A threaded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm fond of my P22. No issues and it eats everything. I've probably put 3,500+ rounds through it without cleaning. For some reason no one talks about the Tac-65 suppressor around here, I don't know if they have a bad rep or what, I really like mine.

Here is an interesting read on the P22
P22 Bible </div></div>

i have done this to my p22 and it is soooooooooooooooo much smoother now and way way more reliable i have never had any problems with the p22 jamming but after i did the p22 bible stuff you can just simply tell its a better gun

My sig runs like a top with a tac65. Have fired mini-mags, cci standard velocity and cci subsonic segmented hollow points with zero issues to date. Did break it in with mini-mags though. Will also admit that my buddies just split toward the front of the slide and is at sig right now.

I keep looking at the GSG 1911's. Not sure if they have been mentioned yet but they feel like the real thing!! Come threaded and just need the adapter to run your can.

Around $300-320 online from what I have seen. I will be looking into one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for you glock homo's lol this guy designed the p22 so .....

http://www.issc-austria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=2 </div></div>

Please notice that the only thing Glock about the ISSC M-22 is the shape.
Ambi slide mounted decocking safety and single action only lockwork. (SAO AND a decocker??!!)Whisky Tango Foxtrot?