• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mossberg 46M(b) for rimfire comp

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    I have a Mossberg 46M(b) old 22 target rifle. There is a current produtction option for mounting picattiny rails to this rifle using the old scope mount holes in the reciever. A vudoo or something like that is not in my budget this year. Do you guys think that this thing could be used for rimfire comps? I know it won't win any accuracy prizes against vudoo rifles but would it work? These old mossberg target riles are supposed to be fairly accurate.

Capture.PNG

A detachable magazine is almost always required for safety between stages.

I have a Mossberg 46M(b) old 22 target rifle. There is a current produtction option for mounting picattiny rails to this rifle using the old scope mount holes in the reciever. A vudoo or something like that is not in my budget this year. Do you guys think that this thing could be used for rimfire comps? I know it won't win any accuracy prizes against vudoo rifles but would it work? These old mossberg target riles are supposed to be fairly accurate.

View attachment 7539878
    Mount your scope and go for it.

OFG

Reactions: acudaowner

View attachment 7539878
    I know nothing about your Mossberg. I will pose some questions for you to consider, help make a decision. W/the iron sights, can you hit 1/4" @ 25 yd, 1" @ 50 yd & 2" @ 100 yd?? If so, try NRL22 w/out a scope. Your first NRL22 should not cost any more then transportation there & ammo. Can a Pic or Weaver rail be mounted on the barrel ahead of & or over the action?? That needs to be answered before you can mount the scope. Gun smith?? I shot my first NRL22 w/savage MKII FV SR, $270.00 & W/top tier ammo (Lapua center X $18.00/50) I was able to shoot sub minuet w/a diamondback tactical FFP MOA $328.00 I have no idea what the rail installation will cost for comparison. If you'r going to buy a scope for this competition, ask around, don't be disappointed. I found it necessary to be able to hold over or under as well as dial the turrets because of time constraints. You will learn quickly by experience. The match director should be able to say if a chamber flag will be accepted for indication of safe unloaded weapon. Good Luck & enjoy

Last edited:
    Shooting is about having fun! If you enjoy shooting that rifle, go for it!
    I've shot comps with a 60 year old BSA international single shot martini action. Admittedly I have a scope mount, but shooting against modern mag fed rifles..... Well I couldn't keep up. But my accuracy paid off, even though I didn't finish in the top 10 I didn't care.
    Just enjoy shooting what you have, there's to much effort and money spent on trying to be the best! People forget why we are here. We are shooters enjoying our noisey meditation, we shoot against ourselves and it's the only person who we should try to beat!

Reactions: acudaowner

View attachment 7539878
    The Mossberg 46M is one of my all time favorite rifles, however not really suited for shooting in competitions. It is a classic sporter, especially with a factory Mossberg scope mounted. Your rifle is a really nice looking example. The current Weaver style scope mount sold by the Mossberg Collector Society interferes with the action dust cover so that would need to be removed. The triggers in the old Mossbergs are marginal at best. They can be tuned but will never be as good as a true target rifle.

I have several of the old mossberg’s, this one included. They are some of my favorite rifles. They are very accurate once you get used to them. I’ve hit a penny at 80 yards with the S-130 peep. If you remove the trigger guard there’s a screw to adjust the trigger pull. You can find parts and scope mounts at havlin sales. There’s also a really nice site for history on the diffrent models and sights