• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most accurate hunting bullet

Coltsp1

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2019
Factory rem 700. 1:10 twist 300win mag. bonded or partition is a must Opinions are appreciated. Would like to push range as fas as possible in a hunting bullet

Reactions: 338dude
Nosler accubond and Swift Scirocco bullets are both bonded and give good accuracy in my 270 win.

Reactions: moosemeat
Nosler makes three 30 cals up to 210 gr.

200gr Accubond has always given me good results in win mag hunting rifles. Never a time I couldn't get it to shoot under an inch across many rifles.

Bonded bullets don't work well at extended ranges. once they loose enough velocity they won't reliably open and often pencil through unless they impact heavier bones.

Bonded bullets don't work well at extended ranges. once they loose enough velocity they won't reliably open and often pencil through unless they impact heavier bones.
Check out the nosler accubond long range bullet…

I prefer the ELDX or Berger over the the long range accubonds
I like the ELDX as stated above. But the op did state he already tried Precision Hunter and wasn’t impressed. Which used ELDX bullets. So if he’s not happy then ELDX is off the table.

Personally I’ve had great luck in 30 cals with the 178/200 class. Didn’t care for the 6.5

#1 for me is Nosler ballistic tip hunting bullet in 6mm 95 gr, .257 115 gr, 6.5mm 120gr 7mm 140 gr, 308 125 gr

I will also hunt with #2 Nos Accubond or #3 Hornady SST. They are probably just as good, but I only have a few kills with them.

My only experience with SST bullets has been in the Hornady “custom” Lind of ammunition. Specifically 123 gr 6.5 Grendel. I have 2 that are easily sub moa with Hornady match (discontinued) and Hornady black eld-m and bthp. The SST shows “bleh” accuracy from both. Minute of deer most certainly, but uninspiring none the less.

I've had great luck so far with 165, 180, and 200 grain bullets out of the .30-06. Most of the 165 and 180 grain was factory stuff to build up supplies of brass and the 200 grain load was some Nosler Partitions that I loaded up to go bear hunting in Alaska. I found 52 grains of H4350 and CCI larger rifle primers gave me 1.5" or less 5 shot groups out of my M700 ADL with the Nosler Partitions. I don't shoot the 06 a whole lot because my .270 usually gets the nod for most of my hunting but I still wouldn't give up my .30-06.

Factory rem 700. 1:10 twist 300win mag. bonded or partition is a must Opinions are appreciated. Would like to push range as fas as possible in a hunting bullet
Do you reload? The answer depends on if you are limited to factory loads.

Another vote for accubond. Doesn’t always make the tightest groups for me but .7 is fine for hunting and I’ve never had a bad result on an animal. I have one that finished an oryx at 5 yards. Recovered it, 130 grains left and .7 in diameter. (180 grain 30 cal at 2880)

Neither bonded nor a partition design.

True. But a well-documented outstanding hunting bullet for any North American game, especially at long range as long as effective terminal velocity is maintained. For 300WM that velocity is maintained out to about 950 yards, much further than most would ever shoot. Hopefully "hunting bullet" is the core search criteria. I'm guessing bonded/partition is based more on tradition than current documented bullet performance.

Plus some really incredible BCs and accuracy in most rifles. As always, will depend very much on the actual platform and must be tested first.

I would recommend ELD-X or ELD-M. Both are excellent killing bullets at long range (and short).

Last edited:
View attachment 7940818
Berger 215 hybrid target. Check out the kill shots on elk with them at various distances over on long range hunting or rokslide forums. I spoke with Berger about this when I was building a buddy of mine’s 300PRC. He’s a long time accubond fan, but he wanted a rig with genuine reach, as he was planning a Marco Polo hunt. The berger tech said the target projos have a thicker front section which penetrates better, but still has good expansion. The berger hunting bullets are specifically designed to “grenade” on impact, per them. Proof is in the pics. Pic above is two impacts at 715yds when I was doing his load development. Shot placement comes first anyway.

Reactions: xsn10s
For those who say the ELDX explodes on impact, this has not been my experience.

Cow elk, 7mm Rem Mag, 162 Eldx, 375 yards. Centerpunched the big front leg bone a few inches below the shoulder knuckle. Busted that bone, hit a rib, through both lungs, hit a rib, stopped under the hide. Dead in less than 10 seconds. MV right at 3k.

D4CFC656-DB60-4A3C-A481-CE790D26B0F4.jpeg

0299CA22-19F1-4DB3-9664-E076EE269D0F.jpeg

Really close to 70% weight retention. Core did not separate.

This fella took a single 162 through the left shoulder at maybe 125 yards. Didn’t recover the bullet. He went about 20 feet, mostly sliding.

19D4E33D-2FE1-4EED-A401-4A663B4731D3.jpeg

I have a bunch of deer pics too.

P

Berger 215 hybrid target. Check out the kill shots on elk with them at various distances over on long range hunting or rokslide forums. I spoke with Berger about this when I was building a buddy of mine’s 300PRC. He’s a long time accubond fan, but he wanted a rig with genuine reach, as he was planning a Marco Polo hunt. The berger tech said the target projos have a thicker front section which penetrates better, but still has good expansion. The berger hunting bullets are specifically designed to “grenade” on impact, per them. Proof is in the pics. Pic above is two impacts at 715yds when I was doing his load development. Shot placement comes first anyway.
longrangeonly.com would be the site to research the Berger 215 Hybrid on elk. Search for Broz.

In my experience the Berger "Hunting" bullets are match bullets in an orange box. They completely explode in contact. That said, the wounds are catastrophic and grievous. I've now seen too many DRTs to be a doubter.

Reactions: 338dude
I've seen first hand the 6.5 143eldX come apart. Out of 9 deer I've been there for only 1 had the jacket not separate from the core. I've shot them from 11yds to around 400yds. While most at or under 100yds. The one around 400yds held together. The rest separated. They all did their job and resulted in a dead animal, and I'll continue to use them as they are very accurate in all my hunting rifles. However in my experience they don't hold together nearly as well as a Accubond, and I'd happily switch to

What and where are your shooting that you can retrieve a bullet from a deer shot at 11 yards?

What and where are your shooting that you can retrieve a bullet from a deer shot at 11 yards?

A small forked horn blacktail. We seen it walking up a trail so I set my kid up for about a 40yd shot and it took a different path and stepped out right in front of him.

20210901_071414.jpg

My kid and my FIL

Reactions: 338dude and xsn10s
"Best" is really subjective. And it all depends on how well your rifle shoots a bullet. Even a 200 gr Partition going 2950 fps at the muzzle is a decent 700 yard elk load at 2200 ft elev.

I didn't see where you said what game you are hunting. If I missed it I apologize! If you want old school I have had good success with the Sierra 165 grain hollow point boattail. If you want more modern I have shot both the Berger 168 and 190 VLD Hunting bullet. This was with Whitetail Deer.

I like bullets that allow me to reach the boiler room from any angle, so if a monster trophy shows up and does not present me with the classic broadside shot. I either shoot accubonds or solid copper preferably Hammers.

I find two holes, one coming and one going is better than one, choose the right bullet and cartridge and this is possible.

I shot this about 1/2” group on Monday in my R93 300 win mag with 200 Partition, 76 grains of R26, Fed 215M, win brass. Velocities were 2967, 2970, 2968. No complaints here. I’ll try to get a better picture when I get home.

FF0507B4-4DA4-4B62-A459-454907A28DEB.png

I personally had very different results with 30 cal 178 ELD-X. 308, 2650 FPS, 70 yard shot. Doe Whitetail. Bullet exploded on frontal shot. Had about 12" of penetration from entry to where core fragment found. Jacket turned into Swiss cheese. Core weighed 78 grains. Maybe the problem is in that bullet and not the others?
Swift scirocco would be my choice for the ops needs.
I shoot TTSX.

I’m testing the hammers. Accuracy and consistency is phenomenal. Haven’t put them to meat yet but confident they will perform.

Am I miss remembering that Hornady made a change to the ELDx's? I have some 143 ELDx's and have had no issues, we are not slinging them at the magnum velocities. They have performed well on broadside shots on winter caribou, they mushroomed like a typical cup and core. Don't know if its the negative temps or standard velocities (2750 fps muzzle). Also use the Barnes 127 LRX they are hammers as well.

To source reloading components in Alaska is difficult to say the least, I will shoot whats available and not worry. Way to easy to overthink things. Buy loaded ammo or roll your own and get to the woods and bring home some game.

I have shot several deer and elk with 143 ElDx's going 3150 fps. I shot a big mule deer buck quartering hard towards me at 90 yards I busted him through the front shoulder and found the bullet on the opposite side back behind the ribs. it weighed about 100 grains. I doubble lunged a cow elk at 987 yards with a compleat pass through and an egg sized exit. she went about 30 yards and tipped over. the 2 lots of 143 ELDx I have used have worked excellent for me at all ranges.

Why not try 130gr or 150gr Barnes TTSX at full throttle?
It's a complete different approach as seen in this video. It's like going from artillery to apds tank guns:

Reactions: BCX
Just harvested a New Mexico antelope. 280AI, factory Hornady 162ELDX at 2850, impact 194 yards, DRT. Antelope facing me and slightly elevated to me. Impact was center of chest with fragmentation destroying lungs and heart with the base driving through body and breaking spine with final resting place on hide past the spine. That 280AI/162ELDX has harvested multiple mule deer and antelope last few years with no issues.

Attachments

• IMG_2769.jpg
    IMG_2769.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2770.jpg
    IMG_2770.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: rope