• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most accurate powder for .308 / 147 gr FMJ / 168 gr. Match

You should be more specific , "accurate powder" as in the powder that produces accurate groups , OR AAC /Accurate Arms powders , like 2520 ,4064, 2230 ect ?
Also , details on the rifle you have.

Reactions: simonp
You should be more specific , "accurate powder" as in the powder that produces accurate groups , OR AAC /Accurate Arms powders , like 2520 ,4064, 2230 ect ?
Also , details on the rifle you have.
What I meant was the most accurate load for this caliber in the DSA 58 AT ONE HUNDRED YARDS then later at further distance. Using FMJ and MATCH BULLETS. Lone Bear!

Going to need more information
What I meant was the most accurate load for this caliber in the DSA 58 AT ONE HUNDRED YARDS then later at further distance. Using FMJ and MATCH BULLETS. Lone Bear!

Only you and your gun will know that through doing load development.

Also Match Bullets? Bergers? SMK's? which bullets specifically

The .308 can be accurate beyond belief with many powders. Not so much with 147 grain FMJ bullets.
Look at Varget, IMR 4064 and powders with similar burn rates.

Just trying to do some target shooting at the range , after put on my DSA 58 a Night Force 5x20 scope all I could get with 47 gr. WW 748 is two to three inches at one hundred yards. Looking for at least a half inch to one inch same distance .

Try a different rifle. Honestly two to three inches at one hundred yards with an FN FAL is peak performance.

Just trying to do some target shooting at the range , after put on my DSA 58 a Night Force 5x20 scope all I could get with 47 gr. WW 748 is two to three inches at one hundred yards. Looking for at least a half inch to one inch same distance .
You’ll need to stop smoking crack so you have money for all the ammo spent in this endeavor!

Reactions: ZA206
An FAL isn't a 0.5-1.0 MOA rifle no matter what. I know, I had one, and I sold it. Shoot whatever the rifle runs with, and be happy you got 2-3 inch groups. Many only shoot in the 3-4 inch range.

Looking for at least a half inch to one inch same distance .

giphy.gif

Is your FAL brand new or considered broken in? Does it have any cycling or bolt holdback issues? Asking as it would affect my powder recommendation. The basic Hornady 155gr BTHP shoots best out of my FAL. I stay away from any bullets with plastic ballistic tips just to ensure consistent chambering.

Is your FAL brand new or considered broken in? Does it have any cycling or bolt holdback issues? Asking as it would affect my powder recommendation. The basic Hornady 155gr BTHP shoots best out of my FAL. I stay away from any bullets with plastic ballistic tips just to ensure consistent chambering.
My FAL is at least five years old. Barrel broke in to their specs. Just installed a Night Force 5 x20 illuminated . The only loads I've shot in it was both reloads 46.5 gr. WW 748 for the one forty seven gr. By Extreme FMJ and the one eighty six match HP Bullets that I had a bulk of bought on sale two years ago, loaded with WW 748 with about forty five grains CCI Primers Both shoot about the same , two to three inches at one hundred yards. No problems. With the long twenty six inch std. barrel. So far I use the Speer , Hornady reloading Manuel's. I believe the Extreme FMJ's are more accurate. 155 gr. BTHP I will try in the spring range time. Not any time soon , it's hunting season . Thank you for your reply. I will keep you posted on other powers as I check them out. Lone Bear!

An FAL isn't a 0.5-1.0 MOA rifle no matter what. I know, I had one, and I sold it. Shoot whatever the rifle runs with, and be happy you got 2-3 inch groups. Many only shoot in the 3-4 inch range.
Not the most accurate rifle? My AR 15 shoots more accurate. I'll experiment with different powders and bullets if the accuracy doesn't improve to at least two inches, I'll replace it with a heavy barrel bolt action like a Remington 700 or close to it. Thank you for your reply! Lone Bear !

Lake City or Federal brass, 42.5gr TAC powder, 2.700"

I wouldn't bother shooting match bullets through a DSA FAL
They were extra Hornady 168 gr. Match that were laying around and the 147 gr. EXTREME FMJ both loaded with WW748. I believe the FMJ were more accurate. I'll try your suggestion and let you know in the spring.

Interesting. I use 42.5 of Varget in my AR10 with the 155's. In my FAL I use 41.5 of H335 for the 147/155gr bullets. I'm nowhere near max loads, which in my guns produce the best accuracy!

Last edited:
Accuracy seems to be a problem in the DSA STG 58. 46.0 gr WW 748 will give you two at best to three inches at one hundred yards with the Night Force 5x20 . My Colt AR 15 with a 1x9 twist gives better. I'll experiment with different powders and bullets. A lot more experenced shooters have already been there and done that, they already know!

I'd just shoot 147gr ball ammo in a FAL and not have high expectations. I'd find a ball powder like TAC or BLC2 that meters well and play with it a little. If I found a loaf thar shot similar or even a little better than LC M80 then I'd just stick with it.

Kind of reminds me of the following saying, “Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a grease pencil, and split it with an axe”.

• Haha
Reactions: FredHammer
This is the type of low quality thread that I'd expect at INGO