• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most memorable hunting advice

topslop1

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2010
What's the one tip you have recieved over the years that has significantly improved your success rate?

Mine was practice shooting with an elevated heart rate. I've found myself making much better shots on animals and I'm a lot more confident taking those shots when it feels like my heart is trying to exit my chest.

"Ain't gonna catch no dear that way"

Brother Bob upon finding myself and my uncle both catching a few zzzzzw in the afternoon sun.

I miss those guys :cry:

Hopefully he meant "deer".

When we first went hunting with my Dad he said, " We've got one compass, if anyone gets lost I'm leaving it in the glovebox, just come back to the car and get it." Yeah, he was a smartass.

Last edited:
Dont shoot the first bull elk you see! I was 14 and first elk hunt solo in stand. So I did not. Never mind I was later informed it was a 7x6 Royal....:mad: never saw one that big again while in the stand...

Not sure if it's useful but I was told that momma deer let fawns go into fields first in case there are predators. I want to check with a biologist on that one.

Don't shoot your buddy OR the dogs.
Should see the *memories* photo book at our hunting lodge.
12ga #6 pellets make a mess of a mans face.....or dogs ass.

Not sure if it's useful but I was told that momma deer let fawns go into fields first in case there are predators. I want to check with a biologist on that one.
IME, fawns just tend to run ahead of momma towards feed.

I was told as a kid that bucks are smarter than does and send them ahead, so when you see a doe let her walk by and wait for the buck that's following her. There's some truth in this, but it's because if you see a doe by herself it's likely that she's in heat, and that's why a buck will be following. Does will run their fawns off when they come into heat, which is why they're alone. They're in heat for maybe 2 days, then they'll gather the fawns back up.

Had an uncle tell me that does are so stupid you can go out and kill them with a stick. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: diggler1833
Hopefully he meant "deer".

When we first went hunting with my Dad he said, " We've got one compass, if anyone gets lost I'm leaving it in the glovebox, just come back to the car and get it." Yeah, he was a smartass.
Everyone used to love hunting near where I was when I was younger. Their unspoken rule was get into your spot and settled before I got into the woods lol

Bears are where you find them, how you find them.

I quickly learned the value of quality binoculars. Then I leaned just because you can spot one, it does not mean they will sit still while you stalk them. Lol

Reactions: jrassy
Put as much effort getting into your spot/stand as you would if you were trying to sneak up and ambush yourself.

You can't beat the wind.

Stay away from anything that morning that will make you fart or crap.

Squirrels and finches are members of the PSYOP Detachment, deployed in protection of all the hunted wildlife in the woods. I can't tell you HOW many times I'm thinking some HUGE is coming through the woods.....F-N squirrel or finch bouncing around the leaves.

From a PH in South Africa: "You gotta take what the bush gives ya'." He told me this after I passed on a world class Eland that I have regretted ever since not shooting, because it wasn't on my bucket list of animals.

Take what the bush gives ya!

Words.
To.
Live.
By!

Dad:

“Never pee into the wind.”

“Don’t get upset if another hunter gets to your road/trail and walks up it first. Just wait 5 minutes and quietly follow him. I’ve seen elk step onto the trail and stand there watching the other hunter.” I’ve seen it now too.

“Hold still”

“Move slowly. Turning your head from one side to the other should take 30 seconds.”

“Don’t quit early. Most deer come out 3-5 minutes before dark.”

You can't kill them if you don't shoot.
Hunting ain't a dick measuring contest. Shoot what makes you happy not to impress your friends.

I shot a 100 lb doe after sitting for a week and not seeing a single deer. Five minutes before shooting light was done on the last day of the season. I enjoyed every bite of that jerky.

Hunt into the wind.

Sit down, be still.

My dad told me to always poach deer on Sunday mornings , most people sleep in ,and don't hear that shot at daylight., and for night hunting ,don't shine the light directly in the deers eyes , but above them a little so they don't spook so easily.

Dont shoot your hunting mate. If you do, dont make him apologize to you!

Pay attention to the blue jays, when they are scolding a deer is near.
Give a whistle to stop a deer for the shot (bowhunting).
Stay until quitting time, not 5 minutes before.
If you have to snap shoot, hold (what feels) low. (This worked on a wounded deer when jumped, in the boiler room!)
These have all worked, thanks dad.

If you’ve got permission to hunt land, then be dominant with it. Put out fresh “no trespassing” signs every year and stop to engage anyone hunting close. Be polite but establish that you hunt often and know property lines. Ask which property they are hunting and where they are setting up for safety.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
I learned my skills over lots of trial and errors. Lots and lots of errors.

My advice to a new hunter would be "learn to judge your distances ACCURATELY", practice, practice and then practice more. Especially with a bow. Never assume your equipment is zero-ed. Finally, after a shot, if theres any doubt about the hit, give it at least an hour or two, if not over night to track.

Also, don't forget to also change your alarm clock back to standard time. I got up to get ready to hunt this morning. After my morning routine I glanced at the clock and it was 3:55. I got up at 3:45 instead of 4:45 as I forgot to change the friggin clock back an hour...