• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most obnoxious muzzle brake

That's an easy test ... the Gen-3 Fat Bastard in .338 Lapua Magnum. In the same shot, it knocked over my Labradar, broke my eyeglasses sitting on the bench, and blew the hat off the guy on the next shooting position. His comment was ... "Do you need an explosives permit to use that brake?"

I was just reading this the other day.

Make sure to get the one rated 'loudest to the side'.

Funny story, my stepson and I were shooting side by side on a kind of crushed gravel surface. I touched off my 338 with a Area 419 Sidewinder and he was picking gravel out of his scalp for days. :)

I mean it was funny to me.

My 338 sidewinder is pretty nasty if you’re not the shooter.

Muzzle brakes can be obnoxious even to the shooter, even if it doesn't seem obvious to the shooter (largely because we've become used to it).

It's why I'm transitioning to 100% suppressed. I really didn't think muzzle brakes effected me that much, until I started shooting suppressed. It's just so much more pleasant, and I don't mind the very small inconvenience of a longer recoil dwell time.

Perhaps I'm just a bitch, but I've come to learn that I'm more sensitive to the concussion then I originally thought.

That's an easy test ... the Gen-3 Fat Bastard in .338 Lapua Magnum. In the same shot, it knocked over my Labradar, broke my eyeglasses sitting on the bench, and blew the hat off the guy on the next shooting position. His comment was ... "Do you need an explosives permit to use that brake?"

3zrebnw3chn61.png

Muzzle brakes can be obnoxious even to the shooter, even if it doesn't seem obvious to the shooter (largely because we've become used to it).

It's why I'm transitioning to 100% suppressed. I really didn't think muzzle brakes effected me that much, until I started shooting suppressed. It's just so much more pleasant, and I don't mind the very small inconvenience of a longer recoil dwell time.

Perhaps I'm just a bitch, but I've come to learn that I'm more sensitive to the concussion then I originally thought.
Yea, I know they bother some a lot more than they bother me.
The Heathen is kinda the anomaly and I’ll admit definitely nicer to be around than most.

Yea, I know they bother some a lot more than they bother me.
The Heathen is kinda the anomaly and I’ll admit definitely nicer to be around than most.

I do really like my Heathens. They are my favorite brake, and until some of my suppressors are approved, are sitting on all my rifles ( except one that has an A419 brake, which is certainly less pleasant).

I am also in the to hell with brakes program. The can definitely moves more, but I do not have the tension and anticipation of a brake. I am running a sico omega, and waiting on a KGM to see if they are better with recoil. What can do you see the best impulse with?

I think the concussion is more of an issue than most people credit. The Heathen is the best brake i have ran for less concussion on shooter.

Stand about 45 degrees off center to a Barrett 50 and see what you think

Reactions: Slowroll
I am also in the to hell with brakes program. The can definitely moves more, but I do not have the tension and anticipation of a brake. I am running a sico omega, and waiting on a KGM to see if they are better with recoil. What can do you see the best impulse with?

I think the concussion is more of an issue than most people credit. The Heathen is the best brake i have ran for less concussion on shooter.

Concur about the concussion, I think most don't realize how much it actually effects them.

I'm waiting for a TacOps suppressor to get out of jail for my X-Ray 51 (should be any time now), and I just purchased an Abel Co. Biscuit for my other rifles (6BRA, 6.5 Creedmoor, .300NM, ar15), mostly due to the positive reviews in regards to it's recoil impulse.

The wife's 6BRA rifle has an Omega, and I find that suppressor very pleasant to shoot with that cartridge. At this time, have nothing to compare it to. Looking forward to comparing the Omega to the Biscuit on our 6BRA's, but it will be a while before that comparison can occur.

Reactions: DJL2
I have the factory tikka T3X tactical A1 brake on a 308. Blows everything off the bench

I was spotting once for a mate firing an AW-50, every time he fired was like getting kicked in the face by a horse, but damn the brake was effective - made the rifle very comfortable to shoot and relatively easy to pick up your projectiles in flight and spot for yourself.

Another vote for the JP. Works wonders for the shooter.

True Dat !!! I've actually pulled all my brakes (including the Fat Bastards), replaced with single-port ASR mounts, and I shoot everything suppressed from one of my seven SilencerCo cans. It's just more civilized than annoying everyone with a muzzle brake.

I also shoot exclusively suppressed now and have for 4 years or so. Back before that the worst I'd personally used was an APA Little Bastard. The Insite Heathen brakes were much more pleasant to be around than any other brake I tried and I definitely liked them the best. A lot of people don't even know they're flinching from concussion too, not just recoil.

Reactions: kthomas
The Insite Heathen brakes were much more pleasant to be around than any other brake I tried and I definitely liked them the best.

I agree. I often shoot 100Y indoors and have walls on either side of me. The Heathen is the only brake that doesn't make my ears ring (plugs and muffs).

Most obnoxious?

Mine if you are on the bench next to me.

Yours if I’m on the bench next to you! Haha.

The point above about just getting a suppressor is good except it overlooks the current 10-12 month wait on the ATF to approve your Form 4. Mine’s still sitting in jail.

My buddies 14.5" Armalite with what I think is a factory pinned and welded "Miculek" break.
Fucking obnoxious!
I had one on a 16” AR for a short period of time. So far the most obnoxious I’ve seen on an AR. Even with ear pro it sucked donkey nuts

As far as gun/brake combo being the worst. The title in my cabinet is held by the AR50A1. But it turns a 750 grain Amax into a 7mm 08 so it does its job

Your spotter will only sit along side you for the first shot with the AR50

Reactions: Halfnutz
I had a sako 338 Lapua that had a old shark brake that sucked for the shooter and everyone around. I miss getting all the dirty looks at the range

I'm with everyone else, suppressors only, and have been for years. I already have significant tinnitus, and even with plugs + muffs brakes can be damaging to the shooter's hearing, especially if you make the mistake of shooting indoors or in partially enclosed outdoor areas. The older you get and the worse your tinnitus becomes, the more you regret ever shooting without a suppressor/around people without suppressors.

Last edited:
I’ve started shooting bare muzzle rather than use a brake. It’s not simply flinch, though I’m sure it happens, it’s that I hate leaving the range (early) with a crushing headache. I don’t know if that’s just me, or what…

I loved suppressed, but my brass gets so dirty from the blowback :(. After 40 rounds, it's like I need to reoil the BCG.
Great news is, I don't have to walk nearly as far to find the brass. ;)
Just to remain on topic - comparing the muzzle blast of a 50 to a 223 really isn't fair. BUT, ask JP to make a tank brake for a 50; and I believe in my heart, your neighbors would appreciate the leaf cleaning ability.
That JP can really push that muzzle blast at your neighbors. (Damn it works so great though and DOES eliminate recoil)

Reactions: gatorbait308
Brake, you mean brakes cause noise? Never heard a thing. (Of course a 41 magnum pretty much cured my noticing loud sounds).

Want sound? stand a three quarters of a mile away or even further from an F-22 taking off with full afterburner. Covering your ears really does not help, the ground shakes so much it rattles your ears anyway. IMPRESSIVE. (F-15’s are pretty impressive as well). Of course to an old 11 Charlie, the only sound better than fast movers is the blades of a Huey or a Cobra.

That noted, recently my brake cleared the old brass off of the shooting table. Not rolling it off but launching it quite some distance. That says something about the pressure coming off of the side of the brake.

As I move through the bigger calibers--what is recoil like suppressed vs muzzle brake for things like 300 PRC, 338 L Mag, and then things like 475 CT? I was under the assumption that those really large calibers almost required muzzle brakes (like 50 BMG).

I know my APA makes people swear 3-4 lanes away, but makes shooting MUCH more comfortable with 300 WM

As I move through the bigger calibers--what is recoil like suppressed vs muzzle brake for things like 300 PRC, 338 L Mag, and then things like 475 CT? I was under the assumption that those really large calibers almost required muzzle brakes (like 50 BMG).

I once shot a 375 CT with a .45 pistol suppressor on it (the suppressor was rated for it). It was very very uncomfortable, to put it mildly.

Old story. In the years when i was shooting IHMSA, always I found myself shooting next to a fellow shooting a 7BR with a brake. Loud enough and close enough to shake my shooting stand and nerves. Using a two oz trigger made this quite a challeng. So, I developed plan B.

Wait till the competitor next to me shoots his 7BR then settle on my target and squeeze off the round. Always worked.

I'm running an Area 419 Hellfire on a 6.5 CM and judging by the Fudd response it is brutal in terms of sound pressure levels. I'd run a suppressor in a heart beat except I'm not allowed by State law to posses a suppressor.

VooDoo

Reactions: HogsLife
My 338 LM had noticeably more movement with a suppressor vs a brake. Although the suppressor was way more pleasant to shoot I thought the brake was a better suit for that rifle.

Guy I shoot with tested his 50 with a suppressor. Although effective he said the kick/push was way more with the can

My personal opinion is once you exceed the 300 platforms the brakes are better in terms of controlling the muzzle for target shooting etc. The brakes tend to control the muzzle better even on the smaller platforms compared to a can however the more manageable recoil allows either to be used with decent effects

Area 419 on my daughters 16.5” 6.5CM is pretty obnoxious

Brakes for comps, suppressors for hunting and everything else.

I like mine while it's only a 2'' long fat bastard I can clear 2 tables off from either side with a singe shot lol . While I do try not to be a prick about it when the range is busy shit happens and it is what it is .

My buddies 14.5" Armalite with what I think is a factory pinned and welded "Miculek" break.
Fucking obnoxious!

I can confirm.

My dad thought it would be great. After the first couple shots I walked back outside. Told him to shove it up his ass and put the can back on. He has 4 cans now, and still refuses to put one on that particular ar just because he's deaf enough to not think it's bad, while he torments me.

Reactions: Halfnutz