• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Maggie’s Most Ridiculous Accuracy Claim You have Seen

Re: Most Ridiculous Accuracy Claim You have Seen

I had to listen to the same story...guy was hunting down in Mexico over corn on a scendaro, shooting a gun he never used before "The Ranch .270 w/ factory ammo" They put the corn out and drove exactly one mile. 2nd round hit on a doe using a hold over

I know a guy who regularly shoots deer at 500yds with a 300wm and he holds "inch and a half high" even done it off hand.... Gives us all something to aspire to..

Had a guy tell me he could shoot 1/4 inch groups at 800yds ALL DAY LONG.... The rifle was an accuracy international rifle that was not the AI we all know, but some company in Oklahoma or some BS like that... the guy had an IQ somewhere equal to that of my golden retriever...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 hole group at 600 yards, it was a cop at that </div></div>

Not that hard to do if the hole you're shooting into is the grand canyon.

MOB Accuracy

"Minute of Bucket" guys talking about supreme accuracy of hitting a 5 gallon bucket at 300 yards.

MOM Accuracy

"Minute of Mountain" guys talking about shooting the new super wildcat fan dangle firearm at the mountain at 1 mile and alllll the bullets go into same crater (is that a 3" or 3 meter crater?)

BH

Had some idiot at Big 5 tell me that when he qualified in the national guard with his M4, he was shooting high expert at the 700, yes not 500, but 700 yard qual line and that all his shots went into the size of a fist.

This was a big ol' boy that I could much easier see sitting behind a counter at wally world than outshooting everyone with a rack grade m4 and ammo.

Just smiled, nodded, shook my head, and walked out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Basher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some dude has an ad over on ARFCOM stating that he's getting 1/2" groups at 300 yards with his Burris FastFire MRDS.

So for a second I thought I was misreading that, and he was using his scope which is still nearly impossible, though. But then I read that the scope on there was a CounterSniper, and I just laughed a hearty belly laugh and closed the window before I read anymore. LOL!
smile.gif
</div></div>

I find it unbelievable that a CounterSniper scope would even let someone shoot groups that large. I heard from a guy who was a Delta SEAL Ranger that when they used the CounterSniper scopes back in Vietnam they would actually get edge to edge groups of -.3" at 5000 yards from their .416 Barret full auto rifles. The Bertrillium Zantithium actually makes the groups smaller than can be measured.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 hole group at 600 yards, it was a cop at that </div></div>

Not that hard to do if the hole you're shooting into is the grand canyon. </div></div>

touché
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 hole group at 600 yards, it was a cop at that </div></div>

Not that hard to do if the hole you're shooting into is the grand canyon. </div></div>

touché
laugh.gif
</div></div>

or you know....only firing one shot. I hear one shot groups are amazingly small!!!

Not so much in the ridiculous claims of accuracy, but funny:

I decided to plink some .45 today at the public range, its pretty well organized group of Range Masters. I am at my stall, did ten rounds at 25 yards, and three (3) folks, two women and a man take up the stall next to me. The sexual intellectual teaching the other two, coincidently was a woman, begins telling the other two about sight picture. I am admittedly curious as she was a LEO, a very large and in charge LEO at that, she pulls out a .25 revovler and begins to shoot. Didn't hit a damn thing. She then begins to explain to her two students why she missed on purpose to show them what not to do. Meanwhile in the other stall next to me arrive two "Lil Daddy's," straight out the hood with a S&W 40. The Range master calls cold, but had not called for check and change targets. The Ghetto Smurf proceeds to go downrange, holy hell, after being scolded by myself and the Range Master he gets back behind the line. I was begining to feel a bit nervous at this point, but continue my next string. The large and in charge sexual intellectual then decides to demonstartate to her friends how to shoot with her service pistol (G17). After the first two shots I saw the Glock fly onto the firing line. I honest to god thought she threw it because of how far it went. That was it, I packed up my shit and left. As I was leaving the Range Master called me over and asked, "So what took you so long?" Fuck me running, public ranges are like bowling, you gotta do it every once and awhile to remember why you don't do it.

1. A guy told me he shot a deer at 300 yards using a 45-70 Marlin with standard factory loads (400 grain flat nose at 1350 fps). I asked how much holdover he used. "None."

2. At the range in September, there was a cop there trying to sight in a Rem 700 with fluted barrel and some big-ass scope. Caliber: 300 RUM. After about 20 rounds, he still could not get it on paper so he paid the range master 8 bucks to put it in a gun vise and sight it in. Then the cop proceeded to shot 4 to 6 inch groups at 100 yds from sandbags. He may be an excellent cop, but I am pretty sure that the deer are safe.

I just heard a good one today:

"My buddy shot a big buck running at over 1500 meters with his Ashbury .308 Lapua sniper rifle while on Christmas leave"

Nice considering Ashbury doenst have a chasis out yet and .308 Lapua???...Stupid "one uppers"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Deer at 1,200 yards with a .270 and a Simmons scope..."

</div></div>

And the statement, "I held at the top of his back" </div></div>

Whooooooa there big fellars, that's not so farfetched as it seems. He could have been shooting over a large body of water and skipped the bullet on the surface at approximately the 977-982 yard point thereby regaining enough elevation to make it to 1200 yds. And another factor would be if the bullet was at the transonic zone and instable, that little dip in the water would restabilize it therefore hitting the deer with the proper portion of the bullet. Especially if it was of the boattail design, as in turds and speedboats.
Maybe Lindy could explain this strange phenomenal phenomenon to us neanderthals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spent a few hours on a public range near Cold Mtn, NC, which is only a 100yd max. I watched two guys shoot a scoped 300WM from no more than 30yds, and miss almost 12" to the left.

I listened in amazement as they spent the next 10 minutes convincing themselves it was "the wind". </div></div> as they finished the 12 pak

Haha, I love this stuff.

The funny part is that one-time events happen, especially when you shoot a lot. As a teenager I used to hunt jackrabbits with my .45LC sometimes, one day I managed to pop one in the back of the head on the run at like 75yds. Could I do it again? No way in hell.

The real crap heard at the local gun counter is usually related to shooting "groups", and involves measuring using a "dime" if it is under 300yds, and a "quarter" if 500yds.

Anyone remember the "Sierra Expert Rifleman Award" in the 60's? A little before my time, but basically the rules came on a slip of paper in a box of Sierra bullets. Involved a 10rd 1" group at 100yds with a sub-10lb rifle and 6x or less scope, any position except "machine". Verification involved one NRA member witnessing and signing the target, a person's word in the shooting world must have meant more then.......I wonder how many they actually gave out.

Not a ridiculous accuracy claim, but I had a funny incident at the range a few years back. I sold a neighbor my 300 Weatherby Mag in a Ruger No. 1. It was pretty darn accurate, but I hated sighting it in because it left me with a sore shoulder for a week afterward. Anyway, this guy weighed about 130 pounds. He showed up at the door the following week complaining that he couldn't get it to print on paper. I had just bought a 25-06 I had to sight in so I told him that I'd take him to the range with me and help him out. We get there and set up. I was on paper at 25 after boresighting, but he wasn't. He's still fiddling with the scope after 3 shots at 24 yards. I move my target back to 100 and after a few more shots have a group that I adjust for. Another couple shots for confirmation and I'm good. He's still blasting away at 25 yards. I put my rifle up and watch him. He aims in, closes his eyes tight, turns his head, holds on for dear life and squeezes the trigger. Kid you not. It's obvious the rifle is hurting him and he's dreading to pull the trigger. Ain't no fix for that I've ever seen. I sight the rifle in for him, and tell him to get someone else to do it next time. Still had a sore shoulder for a week, but that was the last time.

i had a fellow try to convince me that he could hit a 12g shell at a quarter mile with a 10/22. no scope... boy the hearty belly laugh i had at this one.

I had a coworker several years back that says he dropped a whitetail on the move, with a Ruger Mini-14 .223. He claims he did this at about 600yards standing off-hand. I had been to the range with him before, and paper plates at one hundred yards were not in much danger.

Another time a group of us were sitting in the break room, and several guys were disputting the distance to a house out the window. They insisted it was 600yds or better. One guy said it was only a couple hundred yards, and asked what I thought. I looked and agreed that at the far end it might be 200. They gave us alot of shit. At the end of the day they wanted to prove the two of us wrong and marched the hundred foot tape end to end. About 175yards! Imagine that.

Was in the 'smith's shop a few years back when a mutual friend comes in and joins the BS. He mentions that, when he was younger, he could kill deer out to 450 yards with his iron-sighted .30-30. The 'smith and I eyeball him kinda hard and he says, "Of course, I had to sprint the first 300 yards."

Rick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not so much in the ridiculous claims of accuracy, but funny:

I decided to plink some .45 today at the public range, its pretty well organized group of Range Masters. I am at my stall, did ten rounds at 25 yards, and three (3) folks, two women and a man take up the stall next to me. The sexual intellectual teaching the other two, coincidently was a woman, begins telling the other two about sight picture. I am admittedly curious as she was a LEO, a very large and in charge LEO at that, she pulls out a .25 revovler and begins to shoot. Didn't hit a damn thing. She then begins to explain to her two students why she missed on purpose to show them what not to do. Meanwhile in the other stall next to me arrive two "Lil Daddy's," straight out the hood with a S&W 40. The Range master calls cold, but had not called for check and change targets. The Ghetto Smurf proceeds to go downrange, holy hell, after being scolded by myself and the Range Master he gets back behind the line. I was begining to feel a bit nervous at this point, but continue my next string. The large and in charge sexual intellectual then decides to demonstartate to her friends how to shoot with her service pistol (G17). After the first two shots I saw the Glock fly onto the firing line. I honest to god thought she threw it because of how far it went. That was it, I packed up my shit and left. As I was leaving the Range Master called me over and asked, "So what took you so long?" Fuck me running, public ranges are like bowling, you gotta do it every once and awhile to remember why you don't do it. </div></div>

a major reason i no longer shoot at public ranges. Thank god for my buddies land.

Got enlightened yesterday by a fellow classmate who is 20 and a former special forces sniper that his dad holds the state record at Ft. Benning for the mile and a half shot with open sights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R. Drane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got enlightened yesterday by a fellow classmate who is 20 and a former special forces sniper that his dad holds the state record at Ft. Benning for the mile and a half shot with open sights. </div></div>

I can do that ..... provided the target was a 747 or a building.

had a smith that I used to use tell me he always test fired his rifles before he sent them out..... I got one back from him that was missing the firing pin. He also said that same rifle shot 1/4 group. I asked him how he managed to do that with no firing pin. he told me I must be looking at it wrong.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">had a smith that I used to use tell me he always test fired his rifles before he sent them out..... I got one back from him that was missing the firing pin. He also said that same rifle shot 1/4 group. I asked him how he managed to do that with no firing pin. he told me I must be looking at it wrong.....

</div></div>

Think I would quit using that smith!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not so much in the ridiculous claims of accuracy, but funny:

I decided to plink some .45 today at the public range, its pretty well organized group of Range Masters. I am at my stall, did ten rounds at 25 yards, and three (3) folks, two women and a man take up the stall next to me. The sexual intellectual teaching the other two, coincidently was a woman, begins telling the other two about sight picture. I am admittedly curious as she was a LEO, a very large and in charge LEO at that, she pulls out a .25 revovler and begins to shoot. Didn't hit a damn thing. She then begins to explain to her two students why she missed on purpose to show them what not to do. Meanwhile in the other stall next to me arrive two "Lil Daddy's," straight out the hood with a S&W 40. The Range master calls cold, but had not called for check and change targets. The Ghetto Smurf proceeds to go downrange, holy hell, after being scolded by myself and the Range Master he gets back behind the line. I was begining to feel a bit nervous at this point, but continue my next string. The large and in charge sexual intellectual then decides to demonstartate to her friends how to shoot with her service pistol (G17). After the first two shots I saw the Glock fly onto the firing line. I honest to god thought she threw it because of how far it went. That was it, I packed up my shit and left. As I was leaving the Range Master called me over and asked, "So what took you so long?" Fuck me running, public ranges are like bowling, you gotta do it every once and awhile to remember why you don't do it. </div></div>

a major reason i no longer shoot at public ranges. Thank god for my buddies land. </div></div>

I had never been to a public range until about 8 months ago, and fuck me, it is scary. We go up to Sac Valley and its a good bunch of guys running the show, but the people that show up there, well, its beyone a cluster fuck. Wathced one guy brag about being able to hit a paper plate 6 of 10 times at 10 yds, after that, I concluded that the safest place to be if he was going to try to shoot me would be in front of him.

True life... I couldn't make this up--remember the Florida SWAT idiot, owner of LACI SZABO KNIVES? Google "Ladislas Szabo SWAT". He removed his YouTube posting that had so many of us folks deriding his "skills": SH hates posers

but he's pretty darn accurate on a public range--as his YouTube video used to attest to...He can shoot a leg from a standing stop ifn everyone swears not to film him doing it. He made the rags though, before he was forced to quit because of his stupidity.

Laci Szabo's accident

Laci Szabo forced out of Florida SWAT and LEO (about halfway down the page)

Shot in the leg... does that, coupled with his attitude, qualify as "Minute of Duck"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">had a smith that I used to use tell me he always test fired his rifles before he sent them out..... I got one back from him that was missing the firing pin. He also said that same rifle shot 1/4 group. I asked him how he managed to do that with no firing pin. he told me I must be looking at it wrong.....

</div></div>

That HAS to be the winner.

I think this is why I dont spend every waking minute on the internet. its full of internet comandos. every one is SF, or a delta sniper, or holds some crazy record. but all of these stories do make for some great reading.

A guy told my buddy and I that he went out to wyoming hunting antelope with his uncle on the last day the only shooter they saw was at 1100 yards with a 25-06 he said his uncle told him to hold at the top of his back and squeeze it off and boom down he went boy did we have to bite our tongues hard!! lol

A buddies grandfather on shooting deer.I have never missed and i always hunt alone. Smart man. lol ed k

Most ridiculous? That's a tough one...

Here's one of my favorites:
From an old farmer. "Used to shoot them deer running out to 5, 6 hundred yards with the old 30-30. Just hold on their nose and it'd kill 'em in the shoulder every time."

Yup; I'll bet you did, Pops. Probably don't know 500 yards from a Dodge 500, but whatever.

Regarding Parson's famous shot.
I've heard this story enough times I believe it is probably true. Also, Herb didn't try to do it again, didn't claim it was anything but dumb luck and never claimed he could do it again in a 100 tries.

A guy comes into the local gun shop. His eyes are literally crossed and he begins telling his latest hunting tale. He says he sees a coyote out in an open pasture at over 500 yrds. He claims the poor coyote spots him at about the same time and starts haulin ass for the treeline. He bails out of his old pickup and lays his SKS over the hood, draws a bead on the coyote, fires and rolls the dog on the first shot, iron sights, NO SCOPE (as if it would matter). One of our buddies looks straight at him and says, "That must have been the most unlucky coyote ever to shit between two legs." The entire place erupts into laughter including the storyteller. His tale earned him the nickname, Cross-eyed sniper.

Saw one the other day on a guys own forum, .25MOA group at 25m offhand with a S&W revolver....that's 1/16" for 5 shots, nope, no target posted...He was taken to task for a "World Tactical Match" he was claiming to be putting on...but that's another story. By the time we were done with him he not only stopped posting but also took down his forums and website!

A guy shot the cap right off a Coke bottle at 450yd with a 22-250, 100yd zero and held right on.
When I asked how he got the yardage on the bottle, I got. "A Bushnell range finder"
Now that is a steady hand!

I certainly have the utmost respect for our military snipers but I find this hard to believe.

taken from another forum............"got a buddy over in iraq pickin off towelheads at 900+ yards with headshots.<span style="font-weight: bold"> to qualify for his position as a sniper he had to hit a target the size of a dime at 1,000 yards 3 times with a 100% average.</span>"

If true it would be about .05 MOA at 1000 yds 100 percent of the time. I wonder what a 5 shot requirement would be, maybe a quarter?

I guy I worked with told of shooting deer from horseback, downhill across a valley on the move in the wind at 400-500 yards.
Usually when I asked him how far he thought a piece of equipment 150 or so yards away was he'd say anything from 300-500 though.....

On this site-minute of duck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtusmc_nc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this is why I dont spend every waking minute on the internet. </div></div>

I do it for the porn.

Can someone please enlighten me on the "minute of duck" thing? Where is that coming from???

I have a co-worker who claims he can put every shot inside a quarter at 400 yards with his A-Bolt in 3oo WM. GUARANTEED!!!!

I told him that would probably make him one of the best shooters in the country. I'm pretty sure he didn't get it.

Thing is, he told me he missed his elk at 300 yards this past hunting season.

I would Lindy, but he is a commuter and he leaves his rifles in Florida except for hunting season. I'm sure gonna try though. I belong to a 600 yard range, so should be easy money. I can already hear the excuses, you know, altitude difference and all.

A buddy of mine and I were talking about shooting one day(I am an average shot, he is novice). He was talking about a co-worker of his dad telling him about competitive shooting. This guy apparently was shooting 1K forget the rifle/round, anyhow 1K at some type target setup that rotated behind the initial POI. The rotating target was needed because every round was going in the same hole. To add to this he claimed it was timed and ten yes 10 rounds were fired in something like 20 seconds.

I couldn't make this up if I tried.
Immediately uppon hearing the gist of the story, I stopped listening.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a co-worker who claims he can put every shot inside a quarter at 400 yards with his A-Bolt in 3oo WM. GUARANTEED!!!!

I told him that would probably make him one of the best shooters in the country. I'm pretty sure he didn't get it.

Thing is, he told me he missed his elk at 300 yards this past hunting season. </div></div>

Shouldn't be too hard to do......he'll fire his shots & when you check the target, he'll simply hold up a quarter over each of the different bullets holes and say,

"See.....each one will fit inside this quarter...."
wink.gif