• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Most Ridiculous Accuracy Claim You have Seen

Re: Most Ridiculous Accuracy Claim You have Seen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone please enlighten me on the "minute of duck" thing? Where is that coming from??? </div></div>

dude.....................
grin.gif

minute of cougar.........
cool.gif

LOL i have just herd mine a few hours ago.. I ask some of the new boot's in my unit if any of them have had any prior experience with a rifle before they joined the Marines... One replies "Yes Lcpl" so i ask "well like what?" he tells me "i can hit a pop can at just over 900 meters with my Bushmaster AR 15 with iron sights... consistently".... i promptly told him to sit down.

Friend of mine told me his uncle regularly killed deer at 800 yards with M1 Garand with iron sights...

guy i used to work with claimed to routinely kill deer with neck shots and eye/ear shots at 800-1000 yards offhand with a remington model 710 in 300 win mag. he would also claim that gun would shoot 1 hole groups at 450 yards with only a front rest.

8 years old, backyard, red ryder bb gun, 15 feet, split the very top of a lit candle wick right down the middle and left it burning on both sides....It only took me 1,267 shots.

I used to work at a big box sports store that had a substancial gun department.

One evening a older gent walked in in the classic suspenders & tattered flannel shirt. He seemed like he was several kinds of really mad.

I said "May I help you sir?" He said "the last damn coyote has gotten the last damn calf off my place! I want the furthest shootin most accurate rifle you got on the shelf." So I handed him a top end Weatherby bolt in 300 Weatherby Mag.

He asked me how accurate it was. I showed him the proof target from the factory. He did not hesitate. He exclaimed "I'll take it."

I said "okay great. Sir this rifle is drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Can I interest you in a scope for this rifle today?"

It was obvious I had upset him all the more, and he seemed offended. He said "SON, if that feller at the factory that shot that target can shoot that good without a scope I CAN TOO!" I said "yes sir, Lemme walk you through the paperwork we need to do and we'll get you out of here sir."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

One evening a older gent walked in in the classic suspenders & tattered flannel shirt. He seemed like he was several kinds of really mad.

I said "May I help you sir?" He said "the last damn coyote has gotten the last damn calf off my place! I want the furthest shootin most accurate rifle you got on the shelf." So I handed him a top end Weatherby bolt in 300 Weatherby Mag.

He asked me how accurate it was. I showed him the proof target from the factory. He did not hesitate. He exclaimed "I'll take it."

I said "okay great. Sir this rifle is drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Can I interest you in a scope for this rifle today?"

It was obvious I had upset him all the more, and he seemed offended. He said "SON, if that feller at the factory that shot that target can shoot that good without a scope I CAN TOO!" I said "yes sir, Lemme walk you through the paperwork we need to do and we'll get you out of here sir." </div></div>

So you left out - did it have iron sights or not?

guy i used to work with claimed to shoot "1/2 inch moa" at 1000 yards. i just kept saying uhhuh. he could never prove it, so i just let him talk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It was obvious I had upset him all the more, and he seemed offended. He said "SON, if that feller at the factory that shot that target can shoot that good without a scope I CAN TOO!" I said "yes sir, Lemme walk you through the paperwork we need to do and we'll get you out of here sir." </div></div>

So you left out - did it have iron sights or not? </div></div>

Oh no, she was slick as a whistle. No irons....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dangedan87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Im the best sniper in my SWAT, I can shoot .5 MOA at 75 yards all day long with my custom .308 sniper rifle"

.... </div></div>

SCARY.... hopefully I dont live in this town cuz I really dont want that kinda accuracy protecting me and mine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spent a few hours on a public range near Cold Mtn, NC, which is only a 100yd max. I watched two guys shoot a scoped 300WM from no more than 30yds, and miss almost 12" to the left.

I listened in amazement as they spent the next 10 minutes convincing themselves it was "the wind". </div></div>
laugh.gif
LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">eye of a rabbit at a mile..</div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...647#Post1567647

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"1/2 inch moa" at 1000 yards</div></div>

That's 5.23 inch group at 1000, he might be full of shit, but this is not unheard of.

Not accuracy, but I hate redneck generic terms, especially when their ridiculous on top of that. (And I'm a Redneck.)

The one that comes to mind is ""They" say that one of them 380's has more "KNOCK DOWN" than a 9mm." I have heard it several times reckin around these here parts.

you missed it...half inch, moa...well is it half inch or half moa???

Someone on snipershide once claimed they could hit a golf ball at 1000 yards on the first shot.

I've still yet to see that performed.

I will say this though, yesterday I threw away my golf ball as I was cleaning off my reloading bench - I shot it at 100 yards - bullet THROUGH the golf ball - you gotta hit it dead on to get through theg olf ball vs bouncing it around.

I think anyone here could do that though.

SKRanger was there for that one though LOL We did sniper golf...

Father in Law, just claimed he was with these people when they killed an elk at a mile with a 30-06!

The worst "deadeye" that I ever ran into claimed he could shoot a game animal in the eye everytime at 700 yds with his 7mm-08. This happened on an exotic game ranch where "you wound, you pay" is the rule, even if you don't find the animal. Instead of really hunting that weekend, I spent my time looking for all the spendy animals this clown wounded at about 75 yds. His bill at the end of the weekend, about 10 grand. His take home game -0-. My reward for having tried to help him find his animals was having him ("I didn't mean to") point his "unloaded" rifle at me. After my threatening to put the barrel of his unloaded rifle where the sun don't shine, I vacated the area, and quit going on shared hunts. If you are exotic hunting in South Texas and a supposedly wealthy guy by the first name of "Dean" shows up with a 7mm-08, think twice.

"Minute Of Duck"

As I recall this guy hunting out west would get bored waiting for game to cross the lane in front of his stand. For distraction he would shoot the occasional duck from the stock tank about 600 yds out. Never missed one so his gun shot Minute Of Duck.

This isnt so much an accuracy claim.

A guy I work with says he shot a buck @ 50 yards right in the hole of his ear and it went through the hole in his other ear and there was no blood.. OH yeah he shot it with 250gr .338 WINCHESTER MAG..Maybe its true??

Doubt it. I shot a deer with a 180gr Accubond out of a .338 WinMag at 29 yards, hit just about between the eyes and the top of the head was spraypainted on the trees behind her. Even if it did go in one ear hole, it would leave a mess on the way out.

Personally, I can shoot a one hole group any time. It's the second shot that messes it up!

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told by a guy once

Shot an Elk at 800 yards using a 340 Weatherby magnum and watched the bullet thru the scope impact the animal .

Shit I have a hard tome watching anying thru the scope much less a 340 weatherby </div></div>

Sorry but this is possible. I have spotted impacts with my 15lb .338 Edge at longer ranges through the scope. If he was talking about trace...well that's another story all together.

How far out there is "Just far enough"?

The deer was out there just far enough for the bullet to get sped up good . . . . .

I'm still working on this one but the best I can figure, it's about point-blank isn't it?

Not so much a ridiculous claim on accuracy; however, I have a buddy who stated that he would take his Leaper scope over my Schmidt & Bender any day of the week.... then he went out to sight it in & shot 3 boxes of shells at an 18" target. He hit it only the target once.

The scope was so bad that the only one time that I shot it, I watched the reticle move in the scope during the recoil.

I personally have no other experience w/ this brand of scope; however, the claim that he would take that Leaper over my S&B was a little ridiculous.

At a gun store I had a salesperson, who claimed he was a retired Master Sgt 8541, try to sell me a Savage Tactical.

He told me that it shoots 1/4"

At 700 yards.

I asked him if he meant 1/4 MOA (slightly more believable). He told me that he meant 1/4" at 700 yards.

He talked the talk up until then.

just heard it last night:

Him: it will put bullet thought the same hole over and over again at 1000yrds

me: what is the rifle?

Him Psg-1 German sniper rifle

me: o really

Him: yeah sold it to my buddy that is a swat sniper he bought it when he was able to shoot the dot on the I in Pepsi can, twice in the same can at 850 yrds. yeah next gun I am going to buy is a Barret they can kill you at 4 miles all day long.....(and he just didn't stop ranting on)

Some hill billy at work had the nerve to tell me that his factory 7mm mag shoot dead on at 300 yards 2 inches low at 800 with his (special loads) when I asked him what powder tips brass and primers he was using, he said they stopped making the powder years ago and the tips were 80 grain somthings with a purple tip. After choking down a laugh he then said he withnessed his grandfather shoot a antalope at a mile and a Half with his browning A bolt 7mm mag..... I just don't get how people can just spew shit out of there mouth thinking anybody will belive them.

Dude over on Lightfighter a few years back claimed (in the Precision Rifle sub-forum, no less) to shoot oxygen bottles at >1000yds "all day long" with his Mosin-Nagant and iron sights - and said the pro snipers there were poor shots because they couldn't replicate it with custom .308s and scopes.

The thread lives in the Hall of Fame for eternity ...

I just met a guy at my wife's reunion that was a piece of work.
I noticed him right off the bat because he was a big dude, shaved head and had a Blackwater paw print tattoo on his forearm.

This is a brief synopsis of his rant at me.

We started talking about guns and he was telling me about his 300 RUM( like the tasty beverage).
He had a place in Montana and the guys there all shoot 50 cals at soda cans.
He'll pull the RUM out of his truck and shoot it off the hood, just off the hood no rest, and you'd see that soda can fly up in the air through the scope on the first shot.

We were talking about Barnes bullets and he told me about his 600 yard shot on a Blacktail that bounced back out and killed a Muley right next to it.
This was in Washington state he thought he'd be up a creek because it wasn't Muley season.

His RUM has a McMillan barrel, which certainly piqued my interest.
The rifle was smithed by the guy in Florida who builds all the Navy SEAL sniper rifles.
He informed me that the SEALs are all required to be able to hit a penny consistently at 1000 meters, not yards, or they will be kicked out of the sniper slot.
In fact all the SEALs are using 300 RUMs now because they shoot like a laser.
Even in 40 mph crosswinds they drop just a little then roll off to one side.
Now bear in mind the SEALs are using a 267 grain, he thought wasn't sure, tungsten cored bullet with a ballistic tip.
The just explode on impact and make an entrance hole the size of a melon.

He went on to talk about his handguns and all the ammo he used was
SOCOM or SPECWAR or MagSafe.He was also talking about some 9mm he had that was all polymer with a Ti slide.

At first I was pretty excited to have someone to talk to about firearms. Too bad he had to ruin it with a half ton of BS.

I know of no such stories as I turn off my ears as soon as one of these maroons start talking bull. Argh.....

This i could believe, and would like to here the story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar-dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I once made a raft out of dead monkeys. </div></div>

one i heard last week at work...this guy i was working with (knows everythign about everything, and would fit in with Jerry springer) claims that he can hit crows every shot every day at 600-900 yards with a .30-30.
so i ask him how much elevation do you need to hit the thing...he then says i dont need elevation, i just hold it over a few inches and i let the gun do the rest.
so i say sure...

just ran the numbers through ballistic fte and he would need 11.75ish mils to get to 600 with a .30.30. Dropping 42 moa and 265 in....good luck I would have laughed my ass off and I still do when I go into the gun shop and hear the good ol' boys talking about dropping elk at 700 yards. I ask how much elevation, they say just aim a foot high above them and pull the trigger. Off hand of course, no wussy nancy boy bipods ever.

I have a boss at work that was Airborn (true), but claimed to be a sniper. He said he shot a huge Montana Mulie at 500 yards with his 300WM. I asked him what kind of laser rangefinder he uses? He just looked at me with a puzzling look. And peolpe look at me funny when I tell them that the last 3 deer I have harvested with my 5K+ rifle have never been one foot past 50 yards. They just don't stand still for me at 500, only 50! Funny huh! JPG

i went through the interview process at a local PD today....and while we were at the range for the firearms testing, the chief claimed that his barrett m82 does 1/2" groups regularly at 900yards......

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apache</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just ran the numbers through ballistic fte and he would need 11.75ish mils to get to 600 with a .30.30. Dropping 42 moa and 265 in....good luck I would have laughed my ass off and I still do when I go into the gun shop and hear the good ol' boys talking about dropping elk at 700 yards. I ask how much elevation, they say just aim a foot high above them and pull the trigger. Off hand of course, no wussy nancy boy bipods ever. </div></div>

you couldnt argue it with him if you tried...he is right nomatter how wrong he actually is.

im the best sniper in my swat unit... when the local pd calls me up for a black ops mission i always take my .22 elite jc higgins rifle with a clamp on supressor. my longest shot was a 425yard shot and that was the time my knock off night force didnt work so i just threw on a reflex sight and got a head shot out of it.

700m shot pig bordside 300rum 100m zero back line hold no windage?

old mate did not seem to undersand elervatin or windage for that mater

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guy I worked with told of shooting deer from horseback, downhill across a valley on the move in the wind at 400-500 yards.
Usually when I asked him how far he thought a piece of equipment 150 or so yards away was he'd say anything from 300-500 though.....

On this site-minute of duck. </div></div>

You must work at the Reno Cabelas the salesmen at the gun counter told me the same tall tell, but he added a 40 MPH cross wind.

nothing i have stands out to much. had a guy argue with me over how flat my 325wsm is. i told him on a 100 yard zero it would be just over a foot low at 300 yards. he proceeded to tell me how that high dollar fancy ass short mag was junk. his 270 is only 2" low at 700 yards and he had kill shots to prove it. thanks alot pal, now pour me another scotch

claim from the old father in law.
saw a deer about 250yds up a little hill. all i had was the old 22 lr. i held just a little high and aimed at it's head. the deer looked like it ran over the hill. Jimmie who was driving says "ahh you didn't hit that". Father in law proceeds to say they drove over the hill and there the deer laid. Hit it right in the eye.

I was speechless. i think i managed to get a uh hu out before i just went to the kitchen and poured my self some bourbon. Surprise Jimmie doesn't remember that happening but even if he did he's full of it on a normal basis.

Heard this from my uncle last week. Says he pulled up to his friends house, and there was a big commotion going on. Seems several guys were trying to catch a chicken that was loose in the yard. He said he pulled his .25 cal pistol out of his jeans quick-draw style and shot the crazed chicken in the head with the first shot while it was running. Yeah, I know, but we all have at least one in the family.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SemperFiDawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heard this from my uncle last week. Says he pulled up to his friends house, and there was a big commotion going on. Seems several guys were trying to catch a chicken that was loose in the yard. He said he pulled his .25 cal pistol out of his jeans quick-draw style and shot the crazed chicken in the head with the first shot while it was running. Yeah, I know, but we all have at least one in the family. </div></div>

take out the head shot with the 25 cal pistol and it sounds like mardi gras in mamou,la

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smboudreaux</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SemperFiDawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heard this from my uncle last week. Says he pulled up to his friends house, and there was a big commotion going on. Seems several guys were trying to catch a chicken that was loose in the yard. He said he pulled his .25 cal pistol out of his jeans quick-draw style and shot the crazed chicken in the head with the first shot while it was running. Yeah, I know, but we all have at least one in the family. </div></div>

take out the head shot with the 25 cal pistol and it sounds like mardi gras in mamou,la </div></div>

You talkin bout stuff they don't know about.
smile.gif

SO my boss and I get talking guns the other day, we are talking about what we have and what we like and he tells me this "I have a 77/17 I like the 17 hmr because it has the same drop rate as my 7mm mag, out to about 400yrds so it makes for a great trainer and it will buck the wind up to about 50mph because it has such a small cross section..."

1/4 MOA from an SKS on another forum. the debate is wither he understands what MOA means

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Minute of Ambulance </div></div>

LOVE IT.......