• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Most robust LPVO

MK19

Just another dork
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2013
SWVA
www.damonedwards.com
I'm in the market for a 1-6 LPVO and besides budget (~$1000), I am looking for an optic that can withstand my abuses (Marine-proof, as I like to say). I've run Trijicon almost exclusively since my days in the Marines, as they are incredibly rugged, in addition to clear and have a great warranty but I am unsure where other brands stack up in the LPVO arena. My needs will be a short-to-midrange optic for 100-500 yards on my patrol rifle (14.5" 5.56) and I have no idea about reticles anymore, as there are so many out there - I will be learning about whatever I get from the ground up. In addition to reticle choice, I would like to run an offset RMR in conjunction to the optic (unsure if this affects the need for a daylight bright optic), as I found that I don't care for the piggyback style that I've used over the years, now that I have tried the offset style. I've done some research, but no one has really touched too much on build quality that I have found. I am exceptionally rough on gear, so I need something that can handle it. Like all of us, I want my dollar to go as far as it can and I will spend more to get the best, even if it means saving up a little longer. Sorry for what feels like a rant, just trying to parse out the overwhelming field of choices...

It’s a few hundred above your budget, but the EOTech Vudu looks pretty interesting, although I’ve never handled one. I too am looking at LVPO’s and that is one on my list. Looks rugged with a good warranty.

Unfortunately, it just goes on at nausium with everyone's opinions about LPVO instead of addressing the OP's question. Just read the first page.

Reactions: NateSavannah

Unfortunately, it just goes on at nausium with everyone's opinions about LPVO instead of addressing the OP's question. Just read the first page.
The OP wanted to stay within a budget of $1,000 which is limited options. You offered a thread where the OP is looking at optics well North of $2,000.

I'm in the market for a 1-6 LPVO and besides budget (~$1000), I am looking for an optic that can withstand my abuses (Marine-proof, as I like to say). I've run Trijicon almost exclusively since my days in the Marines, as they are incredibly rugged, in addition to clear and have a great warranty but I am unsure where other brands stack up in the LPVO arena. My needs will be a short-to-midrange optic for 100-500 yards on my patrol rifle (14.5" 5.56) and I have no idea about reticles anymore, as there are so many out there - I will be learning about whatever I get from the ground up. In addition to reticle choice, I would like to run an offset RMR in conjunction to the optic (unsure if this affects the need for a daylight bright optic), as I found that I don't care for the piggyback style that I've used over the years, now that I have tried the offset style. I've done some research, but no one has really touched too much on build quality that I have found. I am exceptionally rough on gear, so I need something that can handle it. Like all of us, I want my dollar to go as far as it can and I will spend more to get the best, even if it means saving up a little longer. Sorry for what feels like a rant, just trying to parse out the overwhelming field of choices...

Given the 1k budget, Vortex Razor 1-6 in the reticle of your choice. These can usually be had for $900-$1000 shipped all day long in the PX when they’re available.

Glass is awesome, dot is aimpoint bright, the scope is tough as shit and has Vortex lifetime warranty. it’s second focal plane but that’s no big deal in a 1-6.

Reactions: MPrimo
I’ve had a bushnell SMRS 1-8.5 for a while now and kicked the absolute shit out of it. Constantly getting banged into stuff bouncing around the truck and the ADM mount has kept it true. Returned to zero everytime I took it to distance on my 12.5” gun. They were liquidating them for a while at $650. Only complaint was it was a heavy as shit for a compact HD/truck rifle

I just bought and mounted a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 for way under $1K.
Added a Throw Lever for $20.00 , and Vortex Defender flip caps For $36.00 a pair. Waiting until the heat index goes below 100*f to sight it in. Fingers crossed 👍
Good luck in your search !!

Toughest...

VCOG is the toughest...ATACR/NX8 are there too...Schmidt and Bender as well...Sig's Tango6T line is solid...I've had several Razors fail...so don't consider them the toughest...

In all honesty...so many options in the $1K range...pick one with the features you want...with a great warranty...after all...many of those optics in that price range are built in the same factories...on a$1K budget...I'd find a used ACOG with a RMR...

Last edited:

Being a Veteran on a budget, I'd say email us your credentials to [email protected] and I can price some great Vortex options for you :)

Check out the Atibal 1-8 and 1-10x

SF buddy of mine said hes had vortexs break on him, so he ran atibals and that they are built like tanks. Granted hes sponsored by them for competition shooting, he ran em and his buddies down range are also.

Toughest...

VCOG is the toughest...ATACR/NX8 are there too...Schmidt and Bender as well...Sig's Tango6T line is solid...I've had several Razors fail...so don't consider them the toughest...

Like actual 1-6x Razor HD II's or the bigger Razors (4.5-27x or the 3-18x) and/or older Gen 1's?

Define hard on your gear. Do you just shoot a lot and your optics hit doorways, barricades and etc or do you just recklessly handle your gear?

Like actual 1-6x Razor HD II's or the bigger Razors (4.5-27x or the 3-18x) and/or older Gen 1's?
First gen Razor 1-6 and gen 2-e 1-6 ... both on .308 semi AR10 platforms. First gen 1-6 the reticle canted and the gen2-e wouldn’t hold zero...

First gen Razor 1-6 and gen 2-e 1-6 ... both on .308 semi AR10 platforms. First gen 1-6 the reticle canted and the gen2-e wouldn’t hold zero...

I thought I had heard that the internals on the "e" models are aluminum instead of brass.

A few outfits have recommended against the Gen 2 Razors for "duty"/service use based on problems observed in classes...Ridgeline had a post on a few years ago. However, they didn't recommend against the 1-6x as it wasn't dialed/used in the same manner as the others and was GTG. Thanks for the feedback.

With the exception of one "CC" setting issue on one optic, S&B has been a good mechanical performer and that issue didn't fully "deadline" the optic...it just wasn't fully usable past 3-4x stuck on 7y "CC" parallax. The aluminum tube's have dented/bent easily near the objective but mechanically they've been consistent.

Similar for NF; some personal/interface issues with them but have not had one "deadline".

Dealing with a company with great warranty for me means more than fancy features...

So far none of the major brands we all like have failed taking care of any issues I had so can’t really complain. Scopes are mechanical. Things happen.

I appreciate all of the insight and information. Im looking at a variety. I'm curious about the Primary Arms PLx 1-8x24mm FFP Rifle Scope ACSS Raptor-M2. I like the reticle and it's got great reviews as well. I'm really torn between the following:

Kahles k16i
NF NX8
Vortex Razor
EoTech Vudu

I think it a boils down to reticle choice, as I've seen negative reviews about all the optics I listed. This will be a major move from a traditional scope, so I think once I decide, I'll be able to train and work well with whatever I get.

NX8 is solid. I personally see zero reason to go ATACR 1-8 over the NX8.

I actually prefer the reticle in the NX8 over the ATACR.

Reactions: MJF
I do not own a NX8 and am just passing on a consistent comment from an earlier thread on the NX8. That scope has a tight eye box so keep that in mind if purchasing it.

Those are good too! Almost bought one.
I kind of asked this question in another thread, but is a Vortex 1-10x LVPO the highest magnification available? I’d like something for precision shooting out to 1,000 yards, but still easily capable of switching back to 1x. Basically an optic that would match the use of a SCAR and POF Revolution. Does something like that exist?

I kind of asked this question in another thread, but is a Vortex 1-10x LVPO the highest magnification available? I’d like something for precision shooting out to 1,000 yards, but still easily capable of switching back to 1x. Basically an optic that would match the use of a SCAR and POF Revolution. Does something like that exist?

Vortex 1-10 gets suuuuuper tight for me at 10x and don’t like the reticle.

I go to my Leupold DAGR for distance capability. Essentially a 1-18x setup.

You certainly can make the 1-10 work.

Vortex 1-10 gets suuuuuper tight for me at 10x and don’t like the reticle.

I go to my Leupold DAGR for distance capability. Essentially a 1-18x setup.

You certainly can make the 1-10 work.
I see the Leupold DAGR in a 3-18. Is that the one?

Yup. With a T1 as a piggy back red dot. Also known as the ECOS-O.

But you can build similar setups with other quality scopes. My prerequisite is the optic has to be under 12" in length...

I'll take a little hit in the weight department to gain some extra capabilities...

It is all about what you want and what you are willing to gain and give up...just because I like the DAGR/ECOS-O setup...doesn't mean it fits your capabilities...

But having 1-18X in a package that is less than 12" long...fits the bill for me quite well.

Last edited:
I appreciate all of the insight and information. Im looking at a variety. I'm curious about the Primary Arms PLx 1-8x24mm FFP Rifle Scope ACSS Raptor-M2. I like the reticle and it's got great reviews as well. I'm really torn between the following:

Kahles k16i
NF NX8
Vortex Razor
EoTech Vudu

I think it a boils down to reticle choice, as I've seen negative reviews about all the optics I listed. This will be a major move from a traditional scope, so I think once I decide, I'll be able to train and work well with whatever I get.
The Primary Arms PL, Burris XTR II 1-8 FFP, or the Vortex Razor 1-6 are the best choices in your original price range. The robustness side of the equation, maybe goes to Vortex as it does have some real world combat use and extensive 3-gun use.

Yup. With a T1 as a piggy back red dot. Also known as the ECOS-O.

But you can build similar setups with other quality scopes. My prerequisite is the optic has to be under 12" in length...

I'll take a little hit in the weight department to gain some extra capabilities...

It is all about what you want and what you are willing to gain and give up...just because I like the DAGR/ECOS-O setup...doesn't mean it fits your capabilities...

But having 1-18X in a package that is less than 12" long...fits the bill for me quite well.
I’ve been looking at the Burris XTR 3, and the Mark 5 3-18 as well. Some on the Hide recommended those two as a good value. I’d probably go that route with a red dot or iron sights for close range.

I’ve been looking at the Burris XTR 3, and the Mark 5 3-18 as well. Some on the Hide recommended those two as a good value. I’d probably go that route with a red dot or iron sights for close range.
Mark 5HD scopes are solid as well.

Steiner has some good offerings as well.
Honestly. Lots of good value in today’s world.

I tend to stick with Leupold, Nightforce, Steiner, Bushnell and AIMPOINT for my optic needs.

So I found a used Mark 6 within my budget and i think i just have yo go for it. There are so many options available, but i just have to pull the trigger on one. Thanks again for all of your great input and insight!

So I found a used Mark 6 within my budget and i think i just have yo go for it. There are so many options available, but i just have to pull the trigger on one. Thanks again for all of your great input and insight!
Which one did you got with?

I went with Trijicon. My dumbass is just rough on gear and I need something that has a track record, so I just stuck with them. I think that, in the end, all of the available options are great, but I decided on Trijicon because it's what I know and I am familiar with.

SF buddy of mine said hes had vortexs break on him, so he ran atibals and that they are built like tanks. Granted hes sponsored by them for competition shooting, he ran em and his buddies down range are also.
LOL 😂

Op, do not listen to anything this person says.

Somehow this smells like a shill

Better off with one of these secured with duct tape:

1598744990509.png

I just put a Vortex 1-10 on my Scar 17S. Once the range opens again I will be testing it out and report back.

Reactions: deersniper
Wouldn't be the first time someone has used an inferior product of their own over the generally excellent kit sof is issued.

Reactions: 308pirate