• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Most Rugged Close Range??

jakhamr81

Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
FT Smith, Ar
I'm sure this has been done before, but I couldn't come up with anything in the search; so if anyone else knows of a similar thread, kindly direct me to the link.

I am interested in some of your opinions and experience with what you think are the most rugged scopes on the market. I am interested in something in the range of 1-4x, with an illuminated 5.56 BDC reticle or mildots/MLR.

It's going on an N4 14.5; farthest range would be 500 yards, so I don't necessarily need exposed turrets.

I am considering the following scopes:
NF 1-4
ACOG
Vortex Viper 1-4
Anything I left out?

I am really looking for something that can sustain abuse and hold its zero.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Most Rugged Close Range??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iron sights...</div></div>

Ha ha.. My eyesight isn't what it used to be. Iron sights were great at the 500 when your target was on a 5'x5' white sheet; without that I can't see it at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iron sights... </div></div>

Big +1, Murphy's Law comes to mind, the more shit you have going on in a bad situation the more likely something will go wrong, that being said, I suggest Eotech for the close stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iron sights...</div></div>

Ha ha.. My eyesight isn't what it used to be. Iron sights were great at the 500 when your target was on a 5'x5' white sheet; without that I can't see it at all. </div></div>

Peep sights.

ACOG is pretty idiotproof.

Anyone have anything to say about the U.S.O SN-12 or SN-12r? What is U.S.O's lead time? do they offer any LEA discounts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have anything to say about the U.S.O SN-12 or SN-12r? What is U.S.O's lead time? do they offer any LEA discounts? </div></div>

If you want a fixed 4X get an ACOG. I think SWFA offers a small LEO discount.

If you want a 1-4 variable check out the super sniper line. The donut one looks good to me and comes with covered turrets. The Nightforce, Razor HD and USO 1-4's all look good to me but I don't think the super sniper gives up anything to them and it's less money.

FWIW I have a PST 1-4, it works fine (no problems holding zero or returning to zero after dialing) but I don't think that it qualifies as "super sturdy."

I've looked at a the Vortex Razors and Vipers. I don't mind spending the price on the Viper. However, if I was to spend the MSRP on the Razor, I would rather just spend that same amount on a Nightforce.

I just bought a Trijicon TR24G Daylight illuminated with fiber optics nigh time with Tritium like the ACOG. Runs a little less than the NF has BDC etc. Something to consider.

I don't know why everyone says "irons" when people talk about tough equipment. It's almost as though they think that irons never get broken; however, they are good to have as a back up just in case. Better yet, a back up scope on a QD mount would be better (but expensive).

I seem to have an inate ability to break things that aren't supposed to be able to be broken easily. Of those that you mentioned, the ACOG is probably the toughest. It is made of forged aluminum and there are no moving parts, save the adjustments for windage and elevation. I run a little ACOG on my beater rifle and it's taken some hard knocks. I zeroed it the weekend I got it and haven't touched it since. The ACOG, however, is not as flexible as a variable scope.

I would think that the second on the list in terms of toughness would have to be the Nightforce. It is one serious piece of gear. There are less expensive brands, such as the Super Sniper that many like, but I don't think I know anyone that would take a Super Sniper over a Nightforce if given the choice of choosing one over the other (without having to consider cost).

I don't recall whether there is a Viper 1-4X. Maybe you are talking about the PST. Either way, they aren't in the same league as the ACOG or Nightforce in terms of build quality.

If your plan is to shoot out to 500 yards, you may want to consider tracking down a Nightforce 2.5-10X24. Although I prefer the 2.5-10X32, the 24mm is about the same size as the 1-4X, but with that added magnification should you need it.

Now, if you were to include glass quality as a criteria, the ACOG becomes less appealing. It really isn't the best glass. Not by a long shot.

Since I'm a Nightforce fan, I'll say that Nightforce can never be a bad choice.

I had a lot of deployments under my belt (combat and otherwise) before I retired in '08. As an Infantryman, I was rough on my equipment. Not abusive but, you just can't help biting the dust occasionally when your the flanking element at night in an unknown palm grove. In my opinion the ACOG is by far the toughest optic the Army has ever fielded. Mine barely even looked like an ACOG and still performed flawlessly. Absolutely worth the money if you need something that is going to work no matter what.

Bob

I am leaning toward the ACOGs, I have a friend that has one now without a weapon to mount it on so he is going to lend it to me for a while.

I am also looking at a couple of the IOR Valdada's; the 1-4 and the 1.5-8. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the IORs? I have never handled one up close.

I just saw an ad for a the new Leuopold mark 8 CQB optic. I don't know the reviews on it, but it looked rugged for sure.

Also, not sure what you're planning to do with it, but I've seen some slick setups with an ACOG and an Aimpoint T-1 in an angled offset mount. Very quick transition from close range (T-1) to the limits of the ACOG.

So you have a ruggedness of the ACOG with one of the most rugged red dots available.

I don't know if you're considering a fixed 4x, but the Elcan OS4X is very nice bargain for the price. You get the quality and ruggedness of the SpecterDR at a lower price:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tySim-Vvt9E"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tySim-Vvt9E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Thanks,

Mason @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RockSteady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just saw an ad for a the new Leuopold mark 8 CQB optic. I don't know the reviews on it, but it looked rugged for sure.

</div></div>
It does look tough, but WOW it's also EXPENSIVE! Leupold MK8 CQBSS

I have seberal ACOG's on my AR's. But at less tha 25 yards they are less than ideal. I put a NF 1-4X24 NXS on my newest AR (an LMT) and am very happy with it. If your going to shoot out to 500 yards I'd go with the NF 2.5-10X NXS. At least for me @500 yards 4X doesn't cut it.

I'd actually suggest an Aimpoint T1 with Magnifier. Good for CQB and longer ranges too.

I own an ACOG and love it too. It's more or less bomb proof.

I have never used the new Leupold 1-8, SxB's 1-8 or Premieres 1-8.

I have used and beat crap out of a NXS 1-4 and have to say it should have broken long ago. Great scope.

Another one I have used a bunch is a USO SN4. That you can pound nails with.

The Elcan OS4X looks interesting, I had a friend that had the 1-4 Elcan that I liked very much. I do love Aimpoints, and I am running an Comp M2/ 3x on my 12.5 inch.

As I staed in my OP, I want something with either a BDC or mildots. I had it narrowed down to two, until I saw the Elcan OS4X. Right now I am deciding between:

1.) 4x ACOG (I like this one the most, smallest amount of moving parts, USMC chosen=grunt resident, and it is getting excellent reviews from our troops returning from overseas.)

2.) 1-4 Nightforce

3.) Elcan 1x/4x or OS4X

I am not after a value priced scope here. I want a scope that I can drop (not on purpose of course), throw in the back of my truck, or in any other way abuse and be confident it will hold its zero. I don't just want a scope with a lifetime warranty; the warranty does me no good when I have to make a shot count after a nasty spill.

Mason, thanks for mentioning the Elcan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am not after a value priced scope here. I want a scope that I can drop (not on purpose of course), throw in the back of my truck, or in any other way abuse and be confident it will hold its zero.</div></div>

Every single scope that's been mentioned so far will do that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am not after a value priced scope here. I want a scope that I can drop (not on purpose of course), throw in the back of my truck, or in any other way abuse and be confident it will hold its zero.</div></div>

Every single scope that's been mentioned so far will do that.</div></div>

Not to get into an argument about the quality of all the scopes mentioned, but as I have been asking around I have come across a couple of people that have shared their personal experience with a some of the brands mentioned; having to send them back to the manufacturer for repairs to electronics or not holding zeros. I can understand one person telling me that one scope had a problem, but when I hear more than one credible person say that they have sent the same brand scope back, I tend to cross that manufacturer off of me list of rugged and dependable.

If you're leaning toward an ACOG, you should at least attempt to try out the ones that you are interested in before you buy. I've been through more than a few and the one that I like the most is the little 1.5X. My next choice would be the 3X. The TA33 I believe it is. I had the one with the horseshoe BDC reticle. It had a pretty forgiving eye relief and a relatively wide eye box. It had enough magnification to get pretty far out and it was still good at close range. I consider 25 yards to be close range. It's also pretty compact.

I don't think that I've ever had my hands on a 4X that I liked. They were all characterized by super short eye reliefs and rather narrow eye boxes. I found it hard to shoot from awkward positions with them.

Try to avoid choosing a model simply by going according to their published specs. I once called Trijicon and asked them why my eye relief differed so much from the published specs and was told that the published specs (or numbers) were derived from calculations based on the overall specs, not real world use. I wasn't quite sure of what that meant, but I can tell you that the specs aren't exactly right on, unless something has changed.

I had not compared eye relief, thanks for reminding me. Even the published eye relief for the 4xs I am looking at is only 1.5. The NXS 1-4x is published 3.5. I am fortunate enough to be able to try out both brands before I make a finally decision. The Elcan, however, I was only able to try out one time, and I remember I was initially very impressed with it.

The short eye relief is one of the reasons I went to the NF 1-4X24 NXS. As previously said it's rather difficult to get use too. The TA 33R (3X) with its long eye relief is much easier to shoot IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Every single scope that's been mentioned so far will do that.</div></div>

Not to get into an argument about the quality of all the scopes mentioned, but as I have been asking around I have come across a couple of people that have shared their personal experience with a some of the brands mentioned; having to send them back to the manufacturer for repairs to electronics or not holding zeros. I can understand one person telling me that one scope had a problem, but when I hear more than one credible person say that they have sent the same brand scope back, I tend to cross that manufacturer off of me list of rugged and dependable.

</div></div>

Brother no arguement but every scope will break. Irons are more durable but I have seen them break also.

I've never even noticed the short eye relief on the TA31 (4x)as I shoot it with my nose touching the charging handle for any shot other than CQB. And I'm sure I'm real close then too.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger Bob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never even noticed the short eye relief on the TA31 (4x)as I shoot it with my nose touching the charging handle for any shot other than CQB. And I'm sure I'm real close then too.

Bob</div></div>

That sounds about right, 1.5 inch eye relief. I don't shoot NTCH, so that may be a problem for me.