• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most underrated equipment

I am going with a tripod. I do most of my dry fire practice off one with a game changer on top and can get an infinite combination of heights and positions. It holds my binoculars when spotting, and gets shot off a bunch also.

Me being able to practice at a 1k range regularly has made a huge difference. I use to go to matches having to rely on dope from my phone and having to figure out dope from my splashes while at the match. Now that I moved to Fort Gordon which stretches out, I'm able to true my software to hard data. My scores increased greatly not going into matches blind.

Funny story,

I walked into Mile High while I was in the area visiting family. I had never been in there, and figured I'd make the pilgrimage.... I like to skulk around unnoticed if I can, my standard response to "Can I help you?" is "No, just looking for something I can't do without".

Well, one of those employees was intent on helping me...the whole retail space is less than probably 100 ft x 50 ft, so it's not like I could get away from him anyway. He was trying to show me this and that, but fairly quickly asked, "What other guns do you have?".

I said," ...A Rem700 300Win,....a Rem700 308Win,....a Rem700 30-06....", (all have been trued and built by outstanding rifle builders)

I was just about to get to the custom BAT Machine I own, when the guy says to me," Oh.....you like Remingtons...", and with that declaration, he turned on his heel and didn't speak a word to me the whole rest of the time I was there! :ROFLMAO:

I was like a "ghost" lurking 20ft from him for the next hour or so.:ROFLMAO:
I get that same reactions at matches, like I have the plague after they see my 700, then it usually gets worse about half match.

Friends that are always willing to jump on the next new bandwagon and dump their "antique" stuff used for a good discount!

Reactions: Jscb1b
I just have a silly habit of forgetting my aimpoint and i always seem to need it.

Lots of ammo and trigger time.

I just shot a match and knew that times were going to be tight, so I wrote everything down the night before on my armboard. Saved so much time. I did not go by little increments, just enough to get good dope for a hit.

I do that, too, if the cof is available the day prior. If not, I do the entire cof the morning of. I'll add about 5-7 degrees to the morning temp and go with that for all day. It affords me the opportunity to relax a bit and help shag brass or spot or whatever, while everyone else is spinning their kestrels and writing data for that stage.

Reactions: Cascade Precision
All my field books sport some version of this......

220af42ae497400460b5fc4a573c.jpg

When I want to do more than chicken scratch I use this one the Fams got me for my birthday few years ago. I use it for cards and notes.....

Century II Translucent Blue Lacquer Fountain Pen

Cross aint made in CT anymore. Id like to get a vintage Parker with a fine nib.

Walking the halls of the Embassy in Moscow I found one of these.....

Meisterstück Gold-Coated LeGrand Ballpoint Pen

Posted an ad in the Embassy paper trying to return it with no takers. Always even till this day thought it was a Soviet bug dropped for some idiot to pick up and bring into a sensitive space. Despite the hype the pen kind of sucks as it suffers from the bad habit cross pens have - the pressure of writing causes the mechanism to reverse and the ink ball turtles back into the pen body. "Precious Resin" by the way is fucking plastic.

The Rite in the Rains are much more dependable.

I use my grandfathers parker from the 50's daily.
Use a sharpie in my range book.
I gotta try out a rite in pen.

Planning is an under-rated piece of the pie. Sometimes it's fun to just go plink around and have fun but I don't get to shoot as often as I want to so it helps me to have a plan to achieve something. Lately we've been getting DOPE for a few of our rifles at higher temps - since it's summer, duh. But the norm for us in summer is to be ready to shoot at sunrise and take a break in the hot part of the day. So it seemed natural while working up loads for new (to me) projectiles during the hot part of the day to know that the load will be safe if I have to shoot in the heat.