• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Most valuable piece of equipment you have purchased

Skimafia

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2013
Utah
Aside from you rifle, which piece of equipment have you purchased that has been most beneficial? What piece of equipment has made you a better, more accurate shooter?
Explain why

I would have to say a chronograph. Prior to that I was guessing at muzzle velocity, reading the back of ammo boxes, trying to compare to online results with certain factory ammo and similar rifles. It was an exercise in frustration to say the least. Yes, I could generate drop tables by going out and shooting different ranges, but lord did I burn thru ammo trying to do so. And god forbid I decide to try a different brand or switch it up when I found something that grouped a little bit better. Now, I get solid muzzle velocity data at a certain baro pressure, save it into a ballistic calculator and can generate tables for current altitudes, atmospherics. Just the fact of having a solid starting point on muzzle velocity made my data better and greatly improved first round hits and confidence in my data tables. I find I use that chrony on my AR's, all my bolts and across a wide spectrum of different rounds. If you get one, your friends will be thankful also.

A laser rangefinder is a close second, but can be mitigated if you know how to range using a reticle or are shooting on known distance ranges.

More ammo and trigger time seem to have made the biggest difference for me.
The chronograph helped dial things in a little better with less guess work.
And last I would say upgrading to a better trigger and stocks that fit my frame more accurately.

Reactions: Masta_Gunz
I would have to say a chronograph. Prior to that I was guessing at muzzle velocity, reading the back of ammo boxes, trying to compare to online results with certain factory ammo and similar rifles. It was an exercise in frustration to say the least. Yes, I could generate drop tables by going out and shooting different ranges, but lord did I burn thru ammo trying to do so. And god forbid I decide to try a different brand or switch it up when I found something that grouped a little bit better. Now, I get solid muzzle velocity data at a certain baro pressure, save it into a ballistic calculator and can generate tables for current altitudes, atmospherics. Just the fact of having a solid starting point on muzzle velocity made my data better and greatly improved first round hits and confidence in my data tables. I find I use that chrony on my AR's, all my bolts and across a wide spectrum of different rounds. If you get one, your friends will be thankful also.

A laser rangefinder is a close second, but can be mitigated if you know how to range using a reticle or are shooting on known distance ranges.
You wrote this so I didn't have to.(y)

Reactions: ChaseCO
Kestrel 5700 elite, it simplified things, it has not made me better or more accurate, just made things easier. No more unfolding a pc of paper with dopes for all seasons and reading through the scribbling. I may have said the same about my first phone app though also.

Kestrel 5700.

Once you have your muzzle velocity you just enter your range and shoot.

No more rolling around smashing your phone and trying to walk around figuring out drop charts. I use my kestrel everytime I shoot at ranges above 400 yards.

Reactions: gunrunner2019
I probably should have posted this in a different section. All this feedback is awesome. I've ordered 2 pieces of equipment recently that I felt was mandatory, a kestrel and a magspeed v3 chrono. I think these two things I'm sure will improve my game

'Most valuable' non-rifle equipment? Either my lathe or my pile of handloading gear.

Lathe for 'smithing my own barrels/rifles and reloading stuff for getting the accuracy/low SDs necessary for LR shooting.

My enlistment. Rather, SDM school (the old Ft. Lewis one). It was the first time I was introduced to a higher order of shooting. Keeping dope, applying it, seeing progress. Going back as instructor was even more enlightening, learned even more behind a spotting scope watching others.

Everybody else has mentioned great stuff on here too. Second on the chrono and Dillon.

Hornady 4dof properly set up and a decent kestrel and lrf. Spending time watching the wind then seeing what it does.

The best piece of tangible equipment you can buy as a rifle shooter is a spotting scope..... a good one.

Not having a spotting scope is a no go.....as it makes shot-to-shot diagnosis impossible......

Take what you are going to spend on your next rifle and put that into glass, and you’ll be significantly better off in the long run

I don’t agree with this. A high quality optic would be first for me.

I have t had a spotting scope yet and the ones I have looked through weren’t that impressive.

Plus you have to have a spotter to actually use the thing. Most people shoot by themselves more then with a buddy.

Reactions: 65x55guy
I don’t agree with this. A high quality optic would be first for me.

I have t had a spotting scope yet and the ones I have looked through weren’t that impressive.

Plus you have to have a spotter to actually use the thing. Most people shoot by themselves more then with a buddy.

i consider optics part of the rifle.....but obviously that would be first.

also, you only need a spotter if you are shooting on steel and miss your target......if youre shooting on paper, it make it possible to confirm your hits....lets face it, most of us arent shooting at 600-1000+ every range trip......most of us are shooting at 300 and less the majority of the time.

simply prop it up in front of you at the shooting line and shoot then spot without breaking position.

and if you buy a cheap spotting scope....its gonna look like shit....spend money for a decent one.

1.) A quality optic
2.) Chronograph
3.) Weather meter with ballistic software

After that ammo/components and hand loading gear

Data book.....

I own everything else but my memory sucks so no matter what my spotter, Kestrel, etc. do to help me produce more accurate and consistent shots, it wouldn't mean shit if I couldn't refer to it later

Reactions: Masta_Gunz
Proper glass. That’s where it all starts. You don’t know proper glass until you see it, either.

Lots of FB groups talking about how their glass works great blah blah blah and they only spent $200. That’s great they did. But I’d guess that none of those people have ever been able to compare it to something that is really good.

Reactions: LG65CM
id have to say barrels...gear/equipment helps me shoot better but does not make me a better shooter trigger time and practice has made me a better shooter.

Reactions: JBELL74
watching other people shoot through quality glass has been most instructive for me with regard to the wind and mirage.

I’d also say that I’m shopping high end 15x56s after using them at a few matches. For simply spotting hits and trace inside 1000, I prefer them 2:1 over a spotter.

Reactions: MangoFett
Aside from you rifle, which piece of equipment have you purchased that has been most beneficial? A car

What piece of equipment has made you a better, more accurate shooter? More ammo.

Explain why. because actually shooting is the best way to get better.

I dont disagree with you, corndog. Practice will always make someone better. It doesn't answer the specific question of this thread.

Cleckner's book on LR shooting and a true Data book.

SWFA Milquad reticle.

Everybody else tries to do too much shit and none come even close.

Reactions: Wlfdg
The best thing that's ever happened for my shooting is having a wife who lets me play with my go-bang toys and doesn't begrudge me time spent at the range or the bench. Everything else is secondary.

Last edited:
Most valuable, I translate as most useful; Chargemaster Lite. It's a day and night difference from my old Lock-n-Load. The Lock's membrane switch failed the test of time, and it got so bad about overcharges that I just pitched it and got the RCBS dispenser with the glass touch screen. Life has been a lot more enjoyable since the upgrade; I load plenty of ammo, .223 through .30-06.

For me, 'buy more ammo' actually means 'build more ammo'.

Greg

A quality scope. I wasn’t sure why my impacts weren’t matching my drop table until I learned about low quality scopes and their terrible tracking. My US Optic B-25 has perfect tracking and makes shooting more enjoyable. I know that when I miss that it is my fault, and not the equipment.

Voduu 22 LR - NRL22 matches are a blast
F1C7F8B5-9FFE-4541-B394-09EEEEEEC26F.jpeg

Reloading gear. I didn't get serious until I started reloading, or maybe I started reloading because I was getting serious. Either way, taking up reloading coincides with the turning point in my shooting skills and results-oriented mindset.

The best piece of tangible equipment you can buy as a rifle shooter is a spotting scope..... a good one.

Not having a spotting scope is a no go.....as it makes shot-to-shot diagnosis impossible......

Take what you are going to spend on your next rifle and put that into glass, and you’ll be significantly better off in the long run

I keep thinking about buying one but most of my shooting is under 1k yards and I shoot a lot by myself. I haven't been able to talk myself into it yet because the one I was is almost 4k.

I keep thinking about buying one but most of my shooting is under 1k yards and I shoot a lot by myself. I haven't been able to talk myself into it yet because the one I was is almost 4k.
While you certainly won’t regret spending $4K on “Gucci” glass..... it’s by no means necessary..... especially for your first spotter.

You can spend $1-2000 on glass and get excellent glass

While you certainly won’t regret spending $4K on “Gucci” glass..... it’s by no means necessary..... especially for your first spotter.

You can spend $1-2000 on glass and get excellent glass

I want an moa reticle and the options are pretty slim. That's why I was looking at Swarovski glass. Leupolds reticle sucks in their gold ring and the Athlon is about the next in line. I don't want to spend money on a middle if the road to be unhappy with it then turn around and spend the money on the one I originally wanted. I've been down that road too many times with other shit