• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MOTIVATION

teknikallysekure

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • So, I'm glad to see a fitness section. If anything we can all use some inspiration at times.

Considering that this is a forum of Sniper/Sniper enthusiasts/ Marksman/aspiring marksmen I think the topic of Fitness couldn't be more relevant.

Your fitness is in direct correlation to your level of self discipline, and self discipline is the mantra of all of these aspirations. If you get your body in order your mind will be at peace and the mind and body will help you acheive all of your goals no matter what they are.

I'd like to start a motivational thread here to get people in the spirit, or give them something to get them moving.

I'll post some things that motivate me you do the same.

If you think they are cheesy that's fine, but please try to keep it on topic while it may not help you it may really help someone else, and for that reason it's best not to pic nits here.

Motivation dump to commence:

Re: MOTIVATION

I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.
    Completely.

When I was young I had no sense of myself. All I was, was a product of all the fear and humiliation I suffered. Fear of my parents. The humiliation of teachers calling me "garbage can" and telling me I'd be mowing lawns for a living. And the very real terror of my fellow students. I was threatened and beaten up for the color of my skin and my size. I was skinny and clumsy, and when others would tease me I didn't run home crying, wondering why. I knew all too well. I was there to be antagonized. In sports I was laughed at. A spaz. I was pretty good at boxing but only because the rage that filled my every waking moment made me wild and unpredictable. I fought with some strange fury. The other boys thought I was crazy.

I hated myself all the time. As stupid at it seems now, I wanted to talk like them, dress like them, carry myself with the ease of knowing that I wasn't going to get pounded in the hallway between classes. Years passed and I learned to keep it all inside. I only talked to a few boys in my grade. Other losers. Some of them are to this day the greatest people I have ever known. Hang out with a guy who has had his head flushed down a toilet a few times, treat him with respect, and you'll find a faithful friend forever. But even with friends, school sucked. Teachers gave me hard time. I didn't think much of them either.

Then came Mr. Pepperman, my advisor. He was a powerfully built Vietnam veteran, and he was scary. No one ever talked out of turn in his class. Once one kid did and Mr. P. lifted him off the ground and pinned him to the blackboard. Mr. P. could see that I was in bad shape, and one Friday in October he asked me if I had ever worked out with weights. I told him no. He told me that I was going to take some of the money that I had saved and buy a hundred-pound set of weights at Sears. As I left his office, I started to think of things I would say to him on Monday when he asked about the weights that I was not going to buy. Still, it made me feel special. My father never really got that close to caring. On Saturday I bought the weights, but I couldn't even drag them to my mom's car. An attendant laughed at me as he put them on a dolly.

Monday came and I was called into Mr. P.'s office after school. He said that he was going to show me how to work out. He was going to put me on a program and start hitting me in the solar plexus in the hallway when I wasn't looking. When I could take the punch we would
    know that we were getting somewhere. At no time was I to look at myself in the mirror or tell anyone at school what I was doing.
    In the gym he showed me ten basic exercises. I paid more attention than I ever did in any of my classes. I didn't want to blow it. I went home that night and started right in.

Weeks passed, and every once in a while Mr. P. would give me a shot and drop me in the hallway, sending my books flying. The other students didn't know what to think. More weeks passed, and I was steadily adding new weights to the bar. I could sense the power inside my body growing. I could feel it.

Right before Christmas break I was walking to class, and from out of nowhere Mr. Pepperman appeared and gave me a shot in the chest. I laughed and kept going. He said I could look at myself now. I got home and ran to the bathroom and pulled off my shirt. I saw a body, not just the shell that housed my stomach and my heart. My biceps bulged. My chest had definition. I felt strong. It was the first time I can remember having a sense of myself. I had done something and no one could ever take it away. You couldn't say mess to me.

It took me years to fully appreciate the value of the lessons I have
    learned from the Iron. I used to think that it was my adversary, that I was trying to lift that which does not want to be lifted. I was
    wrong.
    When the Iron doesn't want to come off the mat, it's the kindest thing it can do for you. If it flew up and went through the ceiling, it wouldn't teach you anything. That's the way the Iron talks to you. It tells you that the material you work with is that which you will come to resemble. That which you work against will always work against you.

It wasn't until my late twenties that I learned that by working out I had given myself a great gift. I learned that nothing good comes without work and a certain amount of pain. When I finish a set that leaves me shaking, I know more about myself. When something gets bad, I know it can't be as bad as that workout.

I used to fight the pain, but recently this became clear to me: pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. But when dealing with the Iron, one must be careful to interpret the pain correctly. Most injuries involving the Iron come from ego. I once spent a few weeks lifting weight that my body wasn't ready for and spent a few months not picking up anything heavier than a fork. Try to lift what you're not prepared to and the Iron will teach you a little lesson in restraint and self-control.

I have never met a truly strong person who didn't have self-respect. I think a lot of inwardly and outwardly directed contempt passes itself off as self-respect: the idea of raising yourself by stepping on someone's shoulders instead of doing it yourself. When I see guys working out for cosmetic reasons, I see vanity exposing them in the worst way, as cartoon characters, billboards for imbalance and insecurity. Strength reveals itself through character. It is the difference between bouncers who get off strong-arming people and Mr.Pepperman.

Muscle mass does not always equal strength. Strength is kindness and sensitivity. Strength is understanding that your power is both physical and emotional. That it comes from the body and the mind. And the heart.

Yukio Mishima said that he could not entertain the idea of romance if he was not strong. Romance is such a strong and overwhelming passion, a weakened body cannot sustain it for long. I have some of my most romantic thoughts when I am with the Iron. Once I was in love with a woman. I thought about her the most when the pain from a workout was racing through my body.

Everything in me wanted her. So much so that sex was only a fraction of my total desire. It was the single most intense love I have ever felt, but she lived far away and I didn't see her very often. Working out was a healthy way of dealing with the loneliness. To this day, when I work out I usually listen to ballads.

I prefer to work out alone. It enables me to concentrate on the lessons that the Iron has for me. Learning about what you're made of is always time well spent, and I have found no better teacher. The Iron had taught me how to live. Life is capable of driving you out of your mind. The way it all comes down these days, it's some kind of miracle if you're not insane. People have become separated from their bodies. They are no longer whole.

I see them move from their offices to their cars and on to their suburban homes. They stress out constantly, they lose sleep, they eat badly. And they behave badly. Their egos run wild; they become motivated by that which will eventually give them a massive stroke. They need the Iron Mind.

Through the years, I have combined meditation, action, and the Iron into a single strength. I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back.

The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

-Henry Rollins

1267962964001.jpg

You beat me to the punch. I have the Henry Rollins story in my garage where my weights are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    stfuandtrainzs1.jpg
    </div></div>

Torf where did you get my picture at???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dagsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

Torf where did you get my picture at??? </div></div>

Hahaha
    laugh.gif
    I emailed Stephen Segal and he had an extra one on his computer!

Ironman:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dDnrLv6z-mM&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dDnrLv6z-mM&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

hoyty.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iX-k9KOxuPQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iX-k9KOxuPQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

>promised his wife to win the gold medal for her
    >his wife died in a car accident before the olympic games
    >he failed his 256 clean and jerk
    >last lift in the entire competition
    >needed 258 for the gold medal

see how it turns out.

I'm glad to see that there is a Nutrition/ excercise forum here. Cardio is key when it comes to making those longer range shots. Just think, the harder you work your heart in the gym, on the treadmill, whatever you do, the stronger your heart is. The stronger your heart is, the more efficient it is at getting blood to your organs. And when your laying there in the prone, sighting in on a target, you feel your heart beat...you take that last breath and try to squeeze that trigger before you start to shake....now excercise is gonna let you hold that breath maybe just enough longer to allow you to get that one shot off, because your lungs and your heart are more efficient.

I know, I know, i'm ranting on... but I take excercise very seriously. Don't get me into running a small sprint then trying to calm down for a shot....!!

Semper Fi!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kJoPuGff8bM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kJoPuGff8bM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
    i dont want to be huge again...i am happy with my current size...but if i could get anywhere near as strong as ronnie...that would be tits
    grin.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lVVrNOQtlzY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lVVrNOQtlzY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
    cant leave him out...

bench

I'm glad to see this thread as well, great MOTIVATIONAL pics and quotes CW!!! I was lucky to play college sports, and this vid always makes me realize... just how lucky I am.
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k19OECv0TbQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k19OECv0TbQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H2WrkubuBRk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H2WrkubuBRk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    1286312353024.jpg

</div></div>

Don't know about working out, but she definitely motivates me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    1286312353024.jpg

</div></div>

Don't know about working out, but she definitely motivates me... </div></div>

+1 I would do alot more workin out if she could be a part of it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    1286312353024.jpg

</div></div>

Don't know about working out, but she definitely motivates me... </div></div>

+1 I would do alot more workin out if she could be a part of it! </div></div>

Plus, a girl like her will be fit for the rest of her life; she's not just coasting on good genes until she's 30, she's working it in the gym and probably eating clean too.

Oh, and coldboremiracle, I totally dig your custom rifle project. Way to go man!

ginacarano2.jpg
    </div></div>

That looks like Gina Corrano. Hot damn is she sexy! I'd fight her.....

What a great thread with some good stuff. Often times we forget what should be motivating us and need to refocus on what will make us the better person and stronger warrior. Besides working out because I need to I just got a picture of my new partner who from all acounts is a 14 month old fireball and 65# life support system for a mouth full of razor sharp teeth, I don't want to be holding him back by being out of shape. Here is his picture and my latest motivation to hit the road and iron hard:

6pcl1d.jpg

His name is "Arex" which I can see now will probably be getting shortened to "X" (one syllable is easier to get his attention)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrLowandSlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Oh, and coldboremiracle, I totally dig your custom rifle project. Way to go man! </div></div>

blush.gif
    Thanks buddy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platypus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a 14 month old fireball and 65# life support system for a mouth full of razor sharp teeth</div></div>

That sounds familiar, except mine is a bitch and about 10# less than yours. I have honestly never seen anything move so fast in my entire life as that dog when she puts the accelerator down. She's like a long-haired cruise missile.

I am in nowhere near good enough shape to keep up with mine, she's got so much juice to burn it's like she's a bottomless pit. I might wind her for a few minutes, but give her a drink and 3-4 minutes to breathe, and she's in it for round two. I'm too fat for that shit, haha.

1286312353024.jpg
    </div></div>

woah... dead ringer for a chick I went to school with. Any idea where that was taken?

btw- yum!

I have a four and two year old that motivate me to work out. If I don't win, I don't go home. I work for a small PD, but we still have our share of bad asses on the street. The more you sweat training the less you will bleed on the street. Sounds corny but it's true.

KJ

bcw,

The boss told me yesterday when he was out in AZ at the vendors that this is probably one of the fastest Malinios he has seen in his 20+ years working them. He has a great full mouth bite and clean out. This will be a pleasant change form my last partner that had a horrible out issue eventually cost me two surgeries to put my hand back together after he mauled the shit out of it. Damn police dogs, Harvard grads with no common sense. Back on topic working a patrol dog certainly helps keep the pounds off and he is a great motivator as he always wants to go. I have suggested to several people that are looking for a workout partner to get a good sized dog and walk a bunch. Get the right dog with the proper drive and they will certainly motivate you to get out and do something.

My motivation has tended to come from those who said I couldnt. In highschool I was labeled a dumb jock because my teachers could not reach me. I found my mode and graduated magna cum laude in 3 1/2 years from Fresno St.

While beating a throw to first base in a co-ed softball game I tore a hamstring bad enough I was told I would never run again or walk without a limp. After a year of daily tearing down the scar tissue and falling asleep with ice or an e-stem pack running on it I passed my team physical and am faster than ever.

Right now Im rebuilding my life (hence the phoenix in my call sign) and getting ready for nursing school. My kids need me and failure is not an option. All I have to do is look at my kids or have them give me a hug and that is all the fire I will ever need. I feel sorry for any threat that ever came between me and my kids.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

4605273588_9e8f0d344f.jpg

</div></div>

Good one! This should be placed in every LE locker room.

1286312353024.jpg

Ouch! Keep it up and the back and shoulders WILL suffer.

Training with the feet above the head (jack knife) proves what one can really lift and forces balance.

Good luck

MZB is right. Overweight guys (speaking from experience) are really prone to do this kind of thing too, because the spare tire around the lower back / rear acts as a fulcrum and raises the bottom of the spine from making full contact with the surface.

Bringing the legs up and resting your feet on something helps correct that position and your spine to be fully supported by the bench.

I would be careful about folks just trying to put thier legs above head level using core strength or whatever because then you (well at least I did when i tried it that way at first) have the tendency to tense up and/or hold breath keeping them there instead of focusing on breathing properly for the press.

i disagree wholeheartedly.
    benching without the weight on your traps without a hard arch seems to be the way to hurt yourself. i've never had any pains/problems since i learned to bench. feet tight, back, arch, weight on traps, pull the bar out/descend with lats, tuck elbows, etc. it should take you longer to get set up, than to do the actual set. if not, then you arent doing something right.
    this puts the weight of the bar more on the triceps and off the shoulders. it reduces your range of motion which doesnt put you in a vulnerable shoulder position when your elbows are on the floor because you dont have an arch in your back (strongest position you can have your back in)

you dont see guys benching 800 lying flat on their backs with their legs in the air. aint happening. bench pressing is a whole body exercise.

watch this multi part series:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byOk4OE_6uI

its like 5-7 parts.
    one can learn more just watching this, than years benching the wrong way.

+1 for Brutus1776. Unless you're lifting baby weights, benching with a flat back and legs up will fuck your shoulders. That girl has PERFECT form.

100% - legal lifts in PL allow the arch. Can't say I have met any PL lifters that lift with feet in the air - different training for different reasons. Power is just that. Strength training also generally incorporates longer time durations and tends to further isolate the muscle groups being worked.

I don't know what constitutes baby weight, but you're correct in the sense that it doesn't allow for the recruitment of other muscle groups and thus limits what can be done.

As for the shoulders, I dunno. The form is the same regardless. It is a slight angle change though. As for damage - let's be honest, while the body can be pushed to lift more than its own weight in several movements, the heavier and longer one goes the more susceptible one is to damage - it is inevitable. Besides, flat back bench does a whole lot less damage than any press work behind the head.

Good luck

It's not about recruiting different muscle groups, its about having a stable base to press from. If your back is flat, it is not tight and not stable. You should have your shoulder blades pulled together and arch in your back to place the weight more toward your traps. And show me research done that says ANY kind of bench press is better for your shoulders than behind the head presses. But since this is a motivation thread,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7jAIdoORxI

Recruiting muscles - you do realize that when feet are on the ground and the back is arched the yield far more than just balance - right?

Like I said - behind the neck press (think military) is far worse....

Good luck

go kroc!

agreed to an extent that body builders/'weight lifters' have different goals than a guy trying to press as much as possible, but i think the technique still holds true.

until you try it, its hard to explain. being super tight, descending with lats (pull the bar APART), with your shoulder blades pulled together, you feel like you can move the world as opposed to feeling like your shoulders are going to crack when pushing the same weight in a conventional commercial gym non tight style.

if you are generally using 8-15 rep sets, it might not matter as much to you. but when you drop to 5, 3, doubles or singles it means a lot. if you are just trying to build or maintain muscle, it might not matter as much. but if you want to press as much as humanly possible, it will mean a lot to use an arch.
    in fact when i first changed my benching form to a 'power' type form, my 3RM went up by 15 pounds after 1 session of using the new form. and never had any more shoulder pain.

also agreed on the fact that one way or another you are going to wear out your shoulders either way over time. one thing is for sure, the arched position is much safer, lets you push more weight and largely eliminates injury risk compared to a non tight flat style.

i think the bias against an arch is similar to the bias against squatting all the way down. 'your knees!' is the common cry, yet the only time i had any problems with my knees is when i did quarter squats.

Mozambeek,
    what muscles do you recruit when your feet are down that you don't use when feet are up? Your pecs, delts, triceps, and upper back/ lats are used to press the bar for both. Your legs don't press the bar but they DO keep you more stable and place the weight on your traps. And the more stable you are, the more weight you use,and the more weight, the more recruitment.
    And you don't really think bench presses are easy on your shoulders-right? I said show me research that bench pressing is better for your shoulders than behind the head presses, not your opinion.