• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

picture-of-hot-redhead-37.jpg

Love it but parts are tough to watch. I think he tells all the other stories to delay talking about Iwo. His face changes a lot when he gets to the real tough parts.
Thanks to the folks making these records of our greatest generation.
How do you get some one nominated for an honor when every one else is killed?

My uncle ran away at 17 to join ww2.

His stories are always the same 15 or so tales... as he has gotten old, new stories have come out about people being killed around him.
He ran a very successful company and retired when he was around 50.

No stories about his business... just the time in the service... Hearing these new stories I wonder if he too had a bit of survivor guilt

Used to work/volunteered with a 4th Marine Div vet that fought on Iwo at a local air museum. At the time I was only in my mid 20's but I wanted to hear his story. I didn't press the matter, I knew even after all those years the memories would still hurt. I just took my time and as each day we worked together passed I humbly showed my knowledge of the war and showed genuine interest. He finally but slowly began to tell of his experience but it really took taking him to the pre public release (I had a friend involved with a vet group and the pre release) of Flags of our Fathers when I really began to hear of what he went through. After the movie he was the man of the hour, he stayed for over 2 hours afterward talking and answering questions about his time on the island and his service. It was amazing and tough to hear and I could go on and on about his stories but in the end he was grateful for the invite. He never really said, and he's now since passed but sharing his stories and memories seemed to give him some closure, and I hope it did. I know I'm glad I got to know him.

Used to work/volunteered with a 4th Marine Div vet that fought on Iwo at a local air museum. At the time I was only in my mid 20's but I wanted to hear his story. I didn't press the matter, I knew even after all those years the memories would still hurt. I just took my time and as each day we worked together passed I humbly showed my knowledge of the war and showed genuine interest. He finally but slowly began to tell of his experience but it really took taking him to the pre public release (I had a friend involved with a vet group and the pre release) of Flags of our Fathers when I really began to hear of what he went through. After the movie he was the man of the hour, he stayed for over 2 hours afterward talking and answering questions about his time on the island and his service. It was amazing and tough to hear and I could go on and on about his stories but in the end he was grateful for the invite. He never really said, and he's now since passed but sharing his stories and memories seemed to give him some closure, and I hope it did. I know I'm glad I got to know him.
Best thing I ever did, was about 20 years ago. My son dug out some photos, and made my web site. It began to have guys who served on the team start checking in, and now we have over 100 on the mailing list (a high total of 175). We meet at least once a year, sometimes twice. Telling these stories to each other means so much more than ever sharing it with someone who wasn't there. A lot of healing has taken place.
Tomorrow I leave for a funeral in Kentucky, where one of our leaders has passed away.
Grieve not that these men have died.
Rather, rejoice that such men have lived.

^^^^ This. After watching the movie, The Hangover, my college age son was laughing and asked what I though. I told him it was funny, but would have been more funny if I hadn’t been involved in about half of the stuff that went down in it. He and his friends were looking at me like I was joking. I asked them if they had ever woke up and not known where they were, only to find out that they were in a completely different state than they thought they were. I also asked them if they had ever been called by a buddy to come get them out of jail in Mexico, NOT good! Bunch of young hoo ya Navy divers living in Coronado, nothing but trouble. Lots of fun, but lots of trouble......

Here is a pic of me from Manama Bahrain in 1988. Someone else has posted a pic of their marine mammal, and this system isn’t classified any more.

Attachments

• 4648E969-106F-4AA7-9C50-5D0A46EA8831.jpeg
    4648E969-106F-4AA7-9C50-5D0A46EA8831.jpeg
    626 KB · Views: 455