• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

1593602956716.png

My official N-SSA days were roughly 10 months as an unassigned, when I was working and living in the deep south region, then a group of local living history reenactors and gun guys that I fell in with decided to form our own unit, the Frontier Organization of the Texas State Guard. I was with them for over a year until my father's first cancer diagnosis made me head back to New York. The other members are with different units now. From then, I mainly shot in more local events hosted by various shooting clubs up and down the coast while also working on gunsmithing projects. Been thinking about getting fully back into the skirmishing world and from what I have heard from those who I kept in contact with, COVID has dealt the Civil War reenacting/skirmishing scene a blow to the jaw this year, and while the sport is going to survive, it is seeing decreased membership. And on top of all this, now we are dealing with Confederate monuments and landmarks being destroyed.
smiley_freak.gif

Was just "joking" with one of my buddies from that time that the NEXT skirmish we take part in is going to be real... And it is not going to be "brother versus brother", as the War Between the States had been... I don't consider ANTIFA/DSA even human...
I loved skirmishing I was lucky enough to shoot with a great bunch of people. It seems membership is down in the organization and its been dropping for a while. That’s a shame. I guess it just doesn’t hold younger shooters interest like others shooting venues.

For page 1859...

Hi-Lux_Long_Malcolm_-_Percussion_Berdan_Sharps_-_reduced_600x.jpg

16490564_1.jpg

sharps-carbine-3.jpg

DSC00261_zpspsxur6j3.jpg

Uh8P-DnPnjIXojkOuol3I9Iy6VRw3ZbA1C1nzMwUtTvA8JvOECprob612dWElqK2xkEjUFeF2nvrIS7M-9ipTS6Jw6PlS7dTEZsI8mfi

999e2a_ce38add31b4d321f1b7eae616a06ec57.webp

1565071357.jpg

005.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

H2373-L149481419.jpg

img_9433%20(large).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

abMjhK_rAdq87Z3RBt3_fWb6HtDjLi9JIkDzTFCyCj516mSPrCA9G-taj3pVebRPiRYf_Yn4xglJElV--t8H6ygP_W7YJcN1mn_S5alBN-uR-Fo

pedersoli-sharps-little-betsy-2_1_696_399_84_int_c1.jpg

sharps-carbine-drop-block-loaded.jpg

20180803-160320_orig.jpg

The Model 1859 Sharps breechloading rifle, built in the standard 3-band full stocked infantry musket, a musket variant modified with a Malcolm scope mount for precision long range shooting, and a single band carbine. Standard loading is 50-60 grains of FFg or "Rifle" powder under a 300-350 grain Minie type conical with one or two grease grooves.

The 1859 breechloader is often nicknamed the "cigar cutter" due to it's unique breech mechanism. The system operates using thick layered nitrated paper cartridges that are waxed to offer a waterproof and weatherproof coating. The ends of these cartridges are often twisted into a "nub" and the overall length of the cartridge is usually slightly longer than the length of the rifle's chamber. When the triggerguard is flipped closed over the loaded chamber, the breechblock slides upward and the metal blade severs the nub from the rear of the cartridge face, thus opening the cartridge and exposing the powder charge inside. The rest of the procedure for operating the 1859 breechloader is the same as the regular muzzleloading long arms of the period. The hammer is set to half cock, a winged musket cap firmly seated onto the ignition cone, and then full cock to fire.

Despite it's revolutionary design and engineering, the 1859 Sharps suffered a number of setbacks due to it's 'cigar cutter' mechanism. The first, and most dangerous, is that the process of loading often occurs with considerable force to work with the massive springs inside the action and the severing of the rear of the loaded cartridge causes grains of powder to be scattered into the rifle's mechanism itself. Upon firing, these powder grains ignite and sometimes, enough powder accumulates inside the action without igniting and may ignite all together on the next shot, causing the breech to be enveloped by flames during the shot. Some shooters have suffered burns to their faces and hands due to this defect. The second setback suffered by this breechloading rifle that the traditional muzzleloading arms of the period were not subjected to was the atrocious gas seal capability of the breech due to the intricacy of the action mechanism. The Sharps cartridge using 60 grains of rifle powder and a 350 grain Minie ball was designed to be a VERY potent round delivering at least 2,000 foot pounds of muzzle energy and able to carry it's range up to 1,200 yards. However, the same cutting action and moving parts of the breech mechanism which made the Sharps much easier and faster to reload than other contemporary long arms does not offer an adequate seal for the chamber and upon firing, much of the gas from the burning powder is lost, blown out through the gaps in the action and triggerguard, or upwards between the sliding breechblock and chamber. Thus, the actual velocities and muzzle energies of the rounds are only about half of what they were supposed to have been. Other carbines of the time period that used a rotating or sliding breech also suffered the same setbacks when using paper or foil cartridges. Both issues documented in this post would be resolved roughly a decade later once metallic cartridges composed of powder, projectile, primer, and chamber seal all in one compact unit became universally adopted. Nonetheless, the breechloaders of the Civil War era proved to be a very important step in the continued development of practical and faster loading long arms, which until then had experienced evolutionary stasis since the wheel lock and flint lock had been developed two hundred years prior. In the same time, pistols had evolved far beyond their shoulder fired counterparts, with practical and dependable single action, double action, and cartridge revolvers already available by 1859. The Sharps 1859 carbines and rifles, despite numerous setbacks due to their design, were manufactured and distributed in tremendous numbers between 1859 and 1873. They played an important role in the War Between the States and the bloody border conflicts leading up to it, serving sharpshooters, raiders, and mounted rangers on both sides. They were also one of the key long arms which had played an instrumental role in taming the western frontier.

Last edited:
You can have one if you really really want one.

And starting at only $200,000!

Spent 20+ years in Scouting, resigned with National the day the announced the acceptance of gay boys.

View attachment 7363713

The sad truth is that the Scouts did not have to allow gay boys as they did not receive ANY money from the federal gubmint. The feds could not lean on the Scouts in any way, shape or form.
I am certainly no wizard but after seeing the gay boys being allowed in, I figured that gay leaders would be allowed and then the trouble would start. Once the pedophilia started (yes it was happening long before) there would be charges and lawsuits against ANY troop leader for not stopping and reporting problems. Claiming to not have knowledge of the event(s) would not stop possible charges and claims, thus requiring legal representation at high $$$ expense. I sure as hell WAS NOT WILLING to possibly put myself in that position!

Last edited:
Dunno if this had been posted here in the past, but I only seen screenshots...

Taken during the first week of CHAZ's lifespan. Tweaking homeless man freaking out thinking he is King Leonidas with gardening tools, destroys the "People's Community Garden" in the process.

His parents must be so proud of him.

Dunno if this had been posted here in the past, but I only seen screenshots...

Taken during the first week of CHAZ's lifespan. Tweaking homeless man freaking out thinking he is King Leonidas with gardening tools, destroys the "People's Community Garden" in the process.

Why is the hippie pounding on a sheet of cardboard with a hammer before tearing the cardboard in half? Is he compacting the soil or strain-hardening the cardboard?

Reactions: nikonNUT
Why is the hippie pounding on a sheet of cardboard with a hammer before tearing the cardboard in half? Is he compacting the soil or strain-hardening the cardboard?

Was thinking the same exact thing...
smiley_freak.gif

I assume he is trying to compact the soil again because prior to this video clip, the Spartan warrior on the left had rolled through the entire garden like a kid playing in the plastic ball pen at McD's, kicking and flinging all the soil everywhere. The garden had seedlings in there at the beginning. Notice how they are all gone? The warrior twirling the "spear" had either trampled them under or chucked them outside...