Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

Rhino52

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2010
TN, USA
Great pic...i thought I knew former Soviet aircraft, but didn’t recognize the larger aircraft at the bottom. The forward fuselage reminds me of a U2 cockpit. For anyone who cares...Did some research and turns out, it’s a “Myasishchev M17 Stratosphera”. A twin boom, high altitude interceptor developed to intercept American reconnaissance balloons and U2s in the late 1950s. There’s a version (M55) that’s still being flown by the Russians today for high altitude research (and reconnaissance). Thanks for teaching me something new!

azsteve

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2006
Chandler, Az
Great pic...i thought I knew former Soviet aircraft, but didn’t recognize the larger aircraft at the bottom. The forward fuselage reminds me of a U2 cockpit. For anyone who cares...Did some research and turns out, it’s a “Myasishchev M17 Stratosphera”. A twin boom, high altitude interceptor developed to intercept American reconnaissance balloons and U2s in the late 1950s. There’s a version (M55) that’s still being flown by the Russians today for high altitude research (and reconnaissance). Thanks for teaching me something new!
looks like a M-55