• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

Bass Pro
2dired1.jpg

The Abandoned Island in the Middle of New York

Located in between Queens and the Bronx, in 1885 the island was used to build a hospital complex to quarantine and treat people suffering from smallpox and typhoid fever. In the 1950's it was turned into a rehab center. The entire island has been abandoned since 1963.

ne2n3qe.jpg

DQBkjl0.jpg

After the city closed down the hospitals they tried to sell the island to private investors in the 70's but the cost of construction, transportation to the island, installing a sewage system, and the noise from Laguardia airport discouraged anyone from buying it. In the 80's they tried to build a prison on the island but scrapped the plan because it was cheaper to build in upstate New York.

l6wbLU3.jpg

6oVEpU7.jpg

R6r6jhw.jpg

Gv3xD5u.jpg

zQPWd82.jpg

pOMjEUb.jpg

7fnokl9.jpg

dNFb9MT.jpg

Last edited:
Located in between Queens and the Bronx, in 1885 the island was used to build a hospital complex to quarantine and treat people suffering from smallpox and typhoid fever. In the 1950's it was turned into a rehab center. The entire island has been abandoned since 1963.

ne2n3qe.jpg

DQBkjl0.jpg

After the city closed down the hospitals they tried to sell the island to private investors in the 70's but the cost of construction, transportation to the island, installing a sewage system, and the noise from Laguardia airport discouraged anyone from buying it. In the 80's they tried to build a prison on the island but scrapped the plan because it was cheaper to build in upstate New York.

l6wbLU3.jpg

6oVEpU7.jpg

R6r6jhw.jpg

Gv3xD5u.jpg

zQPWd82.jpg

pOMjEUb.jpg

7fnokl9.jpg

dNFb9MT.jpg

The Infamous Typhoid Mary was Quarantined there. That is one scary creepy place .

It's like Detroit with Typhus!

On a more serious note, anyone else ever hear of Bannerman's Arsenal? Or remember Bannermans ads in The American Rifleman and other Gun Mags?

Island History - Bannerman Castle Trust, Inc.

I always wanted to go down there, but I understand at this point that it's pretty picked over. And it now a "preservation" site. But back in the day, you could buy anything from a civil war revolver for a couple of bucks... to cases of brand-new Sharps... to surplus Gatling Guns or breech-loading cannons for a few hundred $$. They had so many Gatlings and cannons (and orders were by mail) that they recommend buyers "include a second choice" in case the gatling gun you want is sold.

If I had a time machine, I would set it for Bannerman's Island in the 1930's... Oh to have been able to buy antique arms there, back in the day.

Maybe we should organize a Snipers Hide trip to Bannerman's island, now that it is open again, at least on a limited basis!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Saw this hanging in the National WWII museum. There was no sign or explanation. Best I can tell, its Harry Truman's original note to the secretary of war to drop the Atom Bomb, but no sooner than August 2nd. It was in the atomic bomb section of the museum, right next to some glass from the test site. I don't know why the photo is sideways. Sorry, you'll have to tilt your head. Its also blurry because some nimrod bumped into me as i took the photo.
sm5y5h.jpg

125q1xv.jpg

Saw this hanging in the National WWII museum. There was no sign or explanation. Best I can tell, its Harry Truman's original note to the secretary of war to drop the Atom Bomb, but no sooner than August 2nd. It was in the atomic bomb section of the museum, right next to some glass from the test site. I don't know why the photo is sideways. Sorry, you'll have to tilt your head. Its also blurry because some nimrod bumped into me as i took the photo.

japan-surrenders-world-war-2-ends-7.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9cWdHXDEryk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> .

I don't understand the language, but I'm pretty sure she said, "He fucked up!"