• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

gifs_08.gif

I completely agree with the seniority part, I have seen a lot of people promoted beyond the capabilities just because they lasted in their job for a long time.

Unfortunately the most popular corporate model for promotions isn't based on merit or seniority, it's based on what someone is, ie. race, gender, or religion, rather than what someone can do. I went through a reorganization with a huge corporation in CA where a bunch of "protected class" individuals got promoted beyond their capabilities. Within a year most of them either no longer worked for the company or they were demoted back to their previous position.

I completely agree with the seniority part, I have seen a lot of people promoted beyond the capabilities just because they lasted in their job for a long time.

Unfortunately the most popular corporate model for promotions isn't based on merit or seniority, it's based on what someone is, ie. race, gender, or religion, rather than what someone can do. I went through a reorganization with a huge corporation in CA where a bunch of "protected class" individuals got promoted beyond their capabilities. Within a year most of them either no longer worked for the company or they were demoted back to their previous position.
You should work in an oil refinery, they will promote people just to get them off the unit before they kill themselves or somebody or destroy a million dollars worth of equipment……

My father refered to promotion based on seniority as the peter principle. Promote someone to one position above their ability.
My company tried to promote me, I declined citing I am more valuable in my current position. I also know I am not management material.

Yup.... The "Peter Principle" is in full effect. People rise to the level of their incompetence.

As for "promotions," I found (especially on Wall St.) that promotions are much more based on "politics" than anything else. How well do you "kiss a$$" to your superiors and play politics with them. Those are the people who get promoted. The people who are sycophants to their bosses. The people who can best be trusted not to stab the boss in the back. The people who make their boss "look good."

You should work in an oil refinery, they will promote people just to get them off the unit before they kill themselves or somebody or destroy a million dollars worth of equipment……
I briefly worked on a massive production platform. The OIM (Offshore Installation Manager, the biggest boss onsite) TOLD us he'd never worked offshore before landing that job. He'd worked his entire career in refineries, which I'm sure he was plenty knowledgable about production processes, but we were more worried about marine emergencies than a production shut-in. I didn't work there long.

Reactions: TACC

I want one. I'd like to be first kid on my block to have one. Where can I purchase this device? Will I have enough allowance to pay for such an implement of pain and destruction?

There's nothing like hitting a bully in the buttocks from long range. With such a weapon, I will be invincible!

Do you really mean that there's a chance someone could get fired?

iu