• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

1661166308_s4xalhuql8.jpg

What's the switch on the dash for?
It a jake brake, you can use them to speed shift a tranmission on a diesel truck. He was shifting it so fast you could not hear it engage, intil he was letting it ride down hill. It makes it to where you can drop the rpm’s down so fast to catch the gear quicker.But he most likely was using it for shifting going down a grade it makes it easier to shift. Notice he’s not using the clutch, no good driver will. I learned how to drive a 2 stick browning, 4 & 3 back in the 80’s. You don’t see a lot of those anymore, as a matter of fact most newer truck drivers would not know how to shift a browning box. Old diamond T too with a loud as Detroit with a browning box, lol. It does not get anymore old school than that.

Last edited:
Notice he’s not using the clutch, no good driver will.

I've always wondered where the line was with that, between drivers and owner operators.

35+ years ago with the family business, we had a Mack tractor with an 8 gallon tank trailer. A friend of my father's would drive it for him occasionally. His view was like many, like yours. But my father would tell him "a new clutch is $800. A new transmission is $8000. Use the goddamn clutch". :)

I've always wondered where the line was with that, between drivers and owner operators.

35+ years ago with the family business, we had a Mack tractor with an 8 gallon tank trailer. A friend of my father's would drive it for him occasionally. His view was like many, like yours. But my father would tell him "a new clutch is $800. A new transmission is $8000. Use the goddamn clutch". :)
Lol, ok. Yes you actually do use the clutch when you stop. What’s are knee replacements going for nowadays ? Because in 10 yrs using a clutch shifting a big rig your going to need one. If you were driving that thing for 10 to 12 hrs a day double clutching and going threw the gears like this guy I guarantee you will learn real fast how to shift without the clutch, it really is not that hard. And when your in the right rpm’s it pops in like butter. I don’t shift my motorcycle with a clutch, shift on decel pops right in smooth as molasses But for most knuckleheads out there I get why he would say to use the clutch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maxwell and 260284
We get a safety ride once a year. We are “required“ to use the clutch because the company has the same opinion as the post a couple above this. Usually within 5-10 minutes the supervisor will say, “just go back to driving without the clutch, you shift better without it.” It’s hard to go for a year with out it, and then they just walk up one day and tell you your safety ride is today. If it weren’t for red lights, I would never touch the clutch, and your transmission will be just fine.

The clutch doesn't help the transmission, since the transmissions are not synchronized. Hitting the clutch brake when shifting with the clutch going down the road is not good. I wonder who came up with the requirment to use the clutch for safety. Seems to me its actually the opposite. Never heard that one before.

The clutch doesn't help the transmission, since the transmissions are not synchronized. Hitting the clutch brake when shifting with the clutch going down the road is not good. I wonder who came up with the requirment to use the clutch for safety. Seems to me its actually the opposite. Never heard that one before.
The clutch brake does not engage until the pedal is to the floor, if you press clutch brake to the floor while moving you will not have a clutch brake anymore, lol. And without a clutch brake it’s going to be a long day trying to get it into gear from a stop. Have you ever been at a light and hear a big rig grinding the transmission trying to get it into gear. Yep he smoked his clutch brake and he’s not happy. If your a good driver you will likely never stop. You adjust your speed to catch the lights, take what traffic or lights gives you. Driving a truck made me a much better driver.

Last edited:
It a jake brake, you can use them to speed shift a tranmission on a diesel truck. He was shifting it so fast you could not hear it engage, intil he was letting it ride down hill. It makes it to where you can drop the rpm’s down so fast to catch the gear quicker.But he most likely was using it for shifting going down a grade it makes it easier to shift. Notice he’s not using the clutch, no good driver will. I learned how to drive a 2 stick browning, 4 & 3 back in the 80’s. You don’t see a lot of those anymore, as a matter of fact most newer truck drivers would not know how to shift a browning box. Old diamond T too with a loud as Detroit with a browning box, lol. It does not get anymore old school than that.
IDK.... A Mack with a quadruplex can be just as challenging as a Brown Lipe.
The old saying was "If you meet a guy pulling up hill with a quadruplex and he waves at you, he must have 3 arms"....

Yea, looks like a handful for sure. Back in the day old school drivers would speed shift there browning‘s with a hands on both sticks as well. One thing about browning boxes though if you do not square of your shifting the linkage would lock up and you will be under the truck with a screwdriver to un bind the linkage. I have drove brownings, 10 speeds, 13 speeds and 18 speeds, my favorite was the 13 speed, it’s a sweet transmission.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton