• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

OIP.ftY17G0c0YIHoaev0UZWmAHaLG

I found it quite smooth behind the 135. Problem with the A10 is the tankers have to fly slow to refuel then there is a lot of induced turbulence. KC-10 was rough as hell though.
No time on the -135 (except as a fill in pro super in theater) but 16 years as a flying Crew Chief on the -10. A KC-10 that was configured with wing pods (for drouge refueling Navy acft) couldn't refuel an A-10 so configured. The -10 simply couldn't fly slow enough above stall speed to do it.

Reactions: Keepmvng and lash
No time on the -135 (except as a fill in pro super in theater) but 16 years as a flying Crew Chief on the -10. A KC-10 that was configured with wing pods (for drouge refueling Navy acft) couldn't refuel an A-10 so configured. The -10 simply couldn't fly slow enough above stall speed to do it.

The A10 is only slightly faster then a balloon.

I was a Comm guy, been on a refueler as a moral trip while in the NCO academy, you're saying a KC-10 with wing pods for Navy aircraft can't refuel A-10 because of stall speed? A-10s cruise above 300 knots...that doesn't add up.

The A10 is only slightly faster then a balloon.
My boss was an A-10 driver when I was at Wing HQ IG, he got me the simulator at Osan as a going away present. I got to do that for a little over an hour, pretty cool with the 360º screens. I kept my hand on the throttle for the first 15 or so minutes, until he told me "we don't do that, full throttle, always, from take off until you're lining up to land". I did manage to "kill" some stuff, helicopters, tanks, other ground vehicles and some Nk aircraft...managed to "land" it too, although I was a little off center line of the runway.

Reactions: lash and Bandit320
I’d be amazed if there was any KC-10 that was ever above stall speed at 120. That’s one big aircraft.

The closest I came to working on one was at tech school at Chanute.
I didn't really consider that actual work.
I did get to witness the last F105 landing while I was there.
That makes sense, but 190-220 seems low for a stall speed of a refueler? I figured they would have to be in the 120 range?

The drag from the pods and the drogues causes the stall speed to increase to overcome the drag.

The drag from the pods and the drogues causes the stall speed to increase to overcome the drag.
Don’t forget the load of fuel and density altitude. No one refuels at stall speed either.

Reactions: Soulezoo
My boss was an A-10 driver when I was at Wing HQ IG, he got me the simulator at Osan as a going away present. I got to do that for a little over an hour, pretty cool with the 360º screens. I kept my hand on the throttle for the first 15 or so minutes, until he told me "we don't do that, full throttle, always, from take off until you're lining up to land". I did manage to "kill" some stuff, helicopters, tanks, other ground vehicles and some Nk aircraft...managed to "land" it too, although I was a little off center line of the runway.

A10s were the bane of my existence for a few weeks.Once the ODAs and leg commanders learned they could use them and moved to the phase where they could use them, we got hammered. We had 30 seconds to break contact and scatter when we first saw or heard one. Or we died. Phenomenal plane and amazing pilots.

Anybody paying attention to Elons Space X program ? Here is a mind blowing video. It is a little long, but WOW.
Methane powered reusable booster rocket that can be recharged in a little more than an hour. It can carry a capsule that can hold 100 astronauts, or a capsule that can launch multiple satellites like a Pez candy dispenser into orbit.

Last edited:
I had a similar thing happen to me. The wife and I went to the feed store to pick up a few 50# bags of grain for her horses. She wanted to park close to the store entrance, so I parked in a spot marked Military Veteran Parking. Some old guy, with another gray hair in tow, walked up to us as we left the feed store, and I was tossing 50# bags of horse feed into the back of my 4Runner. He saw the US Navy Veteran plates on my SUV, challenged me and asked if I was really a military veteran. I responded, "You two a$$holes can go fu(k yourselves in triplicate." The challengers' friend said "Yup! He is definitely Navy."

I respected all the maintainers, lots of hard nasty work to keep those things flying. I was told one time it averaged 100 MX hours per flight hour.

Last edited:
I was a Comm guy, been on a refueler as a moral trip while in the NCO academy, you're saying a KC-10 with wing pods for Navy aircraft can't refuel A-10 because of stall speed? A-10s cruise above 300 knots...that doesn't add up.
That's a true statement. Right in the tech orders. The pods create enough drag and spoil lift (amongst other issues) to just outside the A10's envelope.

For those that don't know, max fuel load on a KC-10 is about 353,000 lbs of fuel. That will differ depending upon the specific density of the fuel. So fueling at Ramstein in February when JP-8 is 7.8 lbs per gallon, no problem. Refueling in Saudi when it's 120* out and the fuel is 6.6 lbs per gallon, something less.
Anyway, the -10 is one big heavy aircraft meant to fly fast at altitude (usually cruising over .8 mach). So a little less lift at lower speeds. If you've ever flown in one, you'd understand why at touchdown the crew yells out "go Navy!!". It has a sink rate on final second only to a carrier landing 😳

Last edited: