• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

Picture1.jpg

I recently saw a post that showed that Scarlet Johannsen said Afrikaans was dead. She is South African and I know she did have some tough issues in life, but I too know something about South Africa and probably some of the only parts of SA that are truly safe or at least reasonably safe are the places where Afrikaans is spoken. My experience is that these people are endlessly reliable... right there with Australians even though they too are having issues. We Americans can learn from them how not to let things get so far out of control that getting control is out of the question

Reactions: aam
I recently saw a post that showed that Scarlet Johannsen said Afrikaans was dead. She is South African and I know she did have some tough issues in life, but I too know something about South Africa and probably some of the only parts of SA that are truly safe or at least reasonably safe are the places where Afrikaans is spoken. My experience is that these people are endlessly reliable... right there with Australians even though they too are having issues. We Americans can learn from them how not to let things get so far out of control that getting control is out of the question

If you are referring to the actress "Scarlet Johansson," then the post you read is way off base. Scarlet Johansson is American, born and raised in NYC (Manhattan) to a Danish Father and an American Mother of Jewish decent. She identifies as Jewish and would qualify as such as she is born of a Jewish mother. She is nowhere near "South African."

Perhaps that post referred to Charlize Theron, who *is* South African, having been born there (Benoni, Gauteng)... And yes, she speaks Afrikaans, her native language.

Otherwise, I don't know of any "Scarlet Johannsen...."

I grew up in the same town as Theron. She was a couple of years behind me in school though, so didn't know her personally.

We used to race our motorcycles after school on Friday on the street where she lived. Technically it was Petit, not Benoni.

.. and she is absolutely correct, Afrikaans is a dead language. I still have friends down there.

Reactions: Barneybdb
The short version is that the term historyhas evolved from an ancient Greek verb that means “to know,” says the Oxford English Dictionary’s Philip Durkin. The Greek word historia originally meant inquiry, the act of seeking knowledge, as well as the knowledge that results from inquiry.

If your going to post something like that chick did, make sure it’s not stupid.

I grew up in the same town as Theron. She was a couple of years behind me in school though, so didn't know her personally.

We used to race our motorcycles after school on Friday on the street where she lived. Technically it was Petit, not Benoni.

.. and she is absolutely correct, Afrikaans is a dead language. I still have friends down there.

Here is the Google Maps rendition of Benoni, as marked by the dotted red line. I gather you're referring to the section up north that includes Petit HS and Petit Airfield?

1669421049744.png

Please define dead language………..I know of a few dead languages but they were spoken a very long time ago, (thousands of years). if Afrikaans is Charlize Theron’s native language how can it be dead?

Here is the Google Maps rendition of Benoni, as marked by the dotted red line. I gather you're referring to the section up north that includes Petit HS and Petit Airfield?

I lived in Rynfield and Northmead. Petit may be included in the map but was not considered part of Benoni when I was there. Mid 70's to mid 80's. A close friend lives out there. It's like saying you're from NYC when you live on Long Island.

if Afrikaans is Charlize Theron’s native language how can it be dead?
Because very few of the younger generation speak it. They used to have separate schools for Afrikaans and English, those went away years ago - although Afrikaans as a second language was mandatory.

From a recommendation here I bought the book "A Handful of Hard Men" About the Rhodesian SAS during the bush wars. Damn what a bunch of hard core MF's. Great book.