• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

OOF! Missed that, thought it was the stretcher mount.
Have a close friend that was in the First Cavalry Division ( AIRMOBILE) in Nam .
One of the first to go into Cambodia. He has pictures of his outfit riding on the skids that look exactly like the picture shown. He was a badass before he went to Vietnam, came back even more Dinky Dau. He is in my tight little cluster of friends , want him on my side. 🇺🇸

1697975287777.png

INNOVATION: Guy builds a totally steampunk Fallout/Bioshock style gas operated auto ejection system for 1873 SAA revolver.
biggrin.gif

Back in 2007 or so on THR, somebody did something similar with a Ruger Old Army black powder revolver but the gas system actually blew the hammer back to full cock as well. Also a very steampunk-y looking apparatus and there was a reason why he ONLY used it on the Ruger Old Army and warned others not to do it with any cartridge revolvers: That thing was full auto if you held the trigger firmly down. As soon as the first shot was fired, the gas system actuated cocking sustained firing and cycling at a rate of fire that sounded a lot like the World War II Japanese Type-92 heavy machine gun until the cylinder emptied. Doing the same feat with a modern revolver would be a legal nope...

INNOVATION: Guy builds a totally steampunk Fallout/Bioshock style gas operated auto ejection system for 1873 SAA revolver.
biggrin.gif

Back in 2007 or so on THR, somebody did something similar with a Ruger Old Army black powder revolver but the gas system actually blew the hammer back to full cock as well. Also a very steampunk-y looking apparatus and there was a reason why he ONLY used it on the Ruger Old Army and warned others not to do it with any cartridge revolvers: That thing was full auto if you held the trigger firmly down. As soon as the first shot was fired, the gas system actuated cocking sustained firing and cycling at a rate of fire that sounded a lot like the World War II Japanese Type-92 heavy machine gun until the cylinder emptied. Doing the same feat with a modern revolver would be a legal nope...

Kinda neat, but just to auto eject the cases? Seems like a lot of nerd work for not much cheddar.

BT,DT. Bastogne, Veghel, A Shau Valley, 1968.
But the guy who impressed me, on day, was a S-4 guy standing on top of a Conex, trying to lift a 4 point harness over his head, to the belly hook of a Chinook hovering overhead.
And Medivac Pilots. They’d chew their way into a way-to-small LZ, hold station anywhere from a foot or two to several yards above us and lower a host (jungle penetrator) or basket, and never move while we loaded them and signal to lift. Taking fire, and holding it together until our wounded were aboard. Amazing.
Standing on the ground, watching holes appear in the chin bubble was, well, I can’t describe the feeling.

Kinda neat, but just to auto eject the cases? Seems like a lot of nerd work for not much cheddar.

This. Pretty cool as an experiment to show how gas operation systems work. The rig he has set up there can do a lot more than just eject cases and I bet every ATF field office computer operator within a 50 mile region perked up with temporary elation when they saw that video before sinking back into their Cheetos stained seats with groans, just like they probably did with the full auto Ruger Old Army guy's thread as well. The Ruger guy built his rig as an educational tool for his local gun ranges to showcase to kids how modern firearms system worked and it was only demonstrated around 3 times as he said that the blowback put a lot of wear and tear on the lockwork...

Reactions: lash
This. Pretty cool as an experiment to show how gas operation systems work. The rig he has set up there can do a lot more than just eject cases and I bet every ATF field office computer operator within a 50 mile region perked up with temporary elation when they saw that video before sinking back into their Cheetos stained seats with groans, just like they probably did with the full auto Ruger Old Army guy's thread as well. The Ruger guy built his rig as an educational tool for his local gun ranges to showcase to kids how modern firearms system worked and it was only demonstrated around 3 times as he said that the blowback put a lot of wear and tear on the lockwork...
Needed a heavier buffer…😁

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
biggrin.gif
Judging by the tube sight, it's the same guy who was on some of the forums years ago trying to convince us it was a good idea. lol Same type of guy who comes up with products you see online all the time and think "Why though?" You see it for sale and think "interesting idea, but did you really think that would sell? You admire their ingenuity. Admire their thinking outside the box, and how they stuck to it for years to see their dream realized and finally get produced.
You also feel bad for them, knowing their dream is dying on the vine, that all their time, effort and possibly life savings are gone. You also think.. are you an idiot? :D

That's also the reason you don't want to shoot single action revolvers with a partially loaded cylinder, higher pressure big boomers in particular. Even without the contraption, with the right (wrong) combination of things you can get enough pressure back through that chamber to bend the loading gate.

Judging by the tube sight, it's the same guy who was on some of the forums years ago trying to convince us it was a good idea. lol Same type of guy who comes up with products you see online all the time and think "Why though?" You see it for sale and think "interesting idea, but did you really think that would sell? You admire their ingenuity. Admire their thinking outside the box, and how they stuck to it for years to see their dream realized and finally get produced.
You also feel bad for them, knowing their dream is dying on the vine, that all their time, effort and possibly life savings are gone. You also think.. are you an idiot? :D

That's also the reason you don't want to shoot single action revolvers with a partially loaded cylinder, higher pressure big boomers in particular. Even without the contraption, with the right (wrong) combination of things you can get enough pressure back through that chamber to bend the loading gate.

----------
----------
That's also the reason you don't want to shoot single action revolvers with a partially loaded cylinder, higher pressure big boomers in particular.
----------
----------

That phenomenon actually happens A LOT with black powder revolvers, and in my years of fixing and tuning them, have seen it more than a few times. Very rare in the .36 calibers but in .45s with large powder capacities like the 1847 and 1848 Walkers and Dragoons and the Remington New Model Army's, which can deliver ballistic performance on par with moderate to hot .357 Magnum factory loads. If the ignition cone vents are new and not corroded/worn out, they are not a problem even with 35+ grain powder charges. But with cones that have been fired so much that the vent channels are much larger than they should be, blowback and considerable outgassing occurs at the rear of the chambers also and sometimes the force is enough to blast the hammer back to full cock. Had at least one case of a Uberti made 1848 Dragoon with worn out cones that did that and went full auto on the shooter. A four round burst happened before the alarmed shooter almost dropped the gun. Once the factory cones are replaced with chrome lined Track of the Wolf cones, the issue stopped. On all my currently in use percussion revolvers, including my 1851 Colt and 1863 Remington Navy models, I use SlixShot cones that angle the cap ignition jet outward into the chamber like a showerhead for consistent firing and these have always been reliable in both ignition of the charges and elimination of rear outgassing that causes velocity drops at the muzzle end. I tell all new shooters of black powder revolvers that they should immediately replace the stock cones on new handguns with Track of the Wolf or Slixshot cones. These are made from much harder steel alloys than the factory ones. The stock cones are often called "reenactor" model cones, and for the exact reason: They are meant to be fired with blank loads for historical reenactments. If you want the best performance when using the guns for hunting, defense, or target shooting, you have to upgrade the cones.

Revolvers are stupid.

Change my mind.
Cougar magnum?

Seriously though, prelock Smiths and colt snake guns are just cool. Really jonesing for a lightning and a thunderer to hang on the wall in a cowboy rig. Decorative but useful in a pinch. Also a couple SAAs, but kali sucks. Why the fuck are single action wheel guns not allowed?

Dude wearing green got EXCELLENT groundfighting game. That was textbook MMA applied to real world situations flawlessly. 👍

He could have embarrassed the aggressor even further by applying a submission hold and making him tap out, on camera for all to see, but he decided that this whole stupidity had not been worth his time to begin with.

Dude wearing green got EXCELLENT groundfighting game. That was textbook MMA applied to real world situations flawlessly. 👍

He could have embarrassed the aggressor even further by applying a submission hold and making him tap out, on camera for all to see, but he decided that this whole stupidity had not been worth his time to begin with.

Most street fights I've seen that go for more than 3 seconds go this path. Once the dude was pinned, it was just a matter of how severe the ass kicking was going to be. Green shirt went fairly easy on him IMO. I'd a been tempted to deliver more payback.

Go play Russian Roulette (just once) with your auto-loader and you won’t have a mind to change.

When the movie "The Deer Hunter" was released I was on a shared Aussie / Malaysian airbase. The first night it was shown at the base cinema we lost 3 Tentera (Malay military). Was not shown again.

There was another vid here yrs ago of someone getting cold cocked in a fight and breathing like that. An EMT type ID’d what was happening. I don’t remember exactly what it was, but it’s not good. I don’t want any of that.

I cringe more today because I’m nursing a cracked rib from a run a week ago Saturday. I still can’t roll over either way in bed.