• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

1585999872011.png

Most of the ruins at Chaco are in the canyon. If you can scramble up an easy chimney, you can take the Pueblo Alto trail to get to two ruins on the upper plateau. Below is the newer Alto ruin.

032520 Pan 3 Sz.jpg

It's not built with the quality of the better ruins down in the canyon, but it's a really cool hike. The walls are multi-layer like the canyon ruins, but the vaneer layer up at Alto is coarser and less aesthetic. Still better than I could do...

CV3B1247 Ed.jpg

Looking at Neuvo Alto from the east, it stands out that there's no windows. I'm guessing the outer wall had at least some spotter ports.

032520 Pan 4 Ed Sz.jpg

When you look at the big picture view, you can see part of the canyon wall to the right of the ruin, but mostly you see plateau level. We were wondering if Alto was a hunting camp or possibly a scout camp to watch for intruders.

032520 Pan 6 Sz.jpg

The older Alto ruin is a couple hundred yards to the east and it's got funkier rock work and pretty clean lines.

CV3B1315 Ed Sz.jpg

CV3B1317 Ed Sz.jpg

Here's another of the things I call "WTF, Gringo?". They call this the Jackson Staircase because William Henry Jackson was the first white man to have seen the staircase. They could have named it after the side canyon it's in or whatever. Regardless, I bet it was a treat to be chipping these steps in with the tools on hand a thousand years ago.

CV3B1329 Ed Sz.jpg

Looking down on the Chetro Ketl ruin from the Alto trail:

CV3B1337 Ed Sz.jpg

032520 Pan 9 Ed Sz.jpg

And finally, looking down on Pueblo Bonito from the Alto trail:

032520 Pan 17 Sz2.jpg

Last edited:
My dad has one of these and it was stupid fast in stock form. At least for the time.

I worked for Mercedes as a line mechanic when these were new. Last of the great Mercedes. 300k no problem. The diesel while underpowered was an anvil. Not as great as the 300D but still good. 560SEL was a beast, The 420SEL wasnt bad either. They made a 3 litre 6 cylinder gas that was a dissapointment but was still built well.

Last edited:
Reactions: hermosabeach