• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

1594616642574.png

When I first got stationed in Eureka CA we saw logging trucks daily with several trees onboard. Every now and then we would see the low boy trailer that the logging companies used to move their D-9’s around with carrying a single log that hung 3-4’ off of either side of the trailer.
One log loads were the norm for many years. When I was a kid, if a truck had 3 or more logs on it, they were called pecker poles. My family has photos of my great-great grandpa pulling logs out with oxen. 6’ men look like toddlers standing next to them. When they first got chain saws, they had motors on each end.

Would have been even better if he had been hiding in a drain pipe or a similar place and they had to noodle him out like Saddam Hussein...

anim_lol.gif

There is nothing better than watching a murderous cult leader get thoroughly humiliated while being apprehended, so his followers can see what a BITCH he really is...

He's not the chaz leader. The news made that really confusing, they were calling him a leader because he helped negotiate with the mayor, but he's not that Raz guy.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
My brother in law was a logger in the Sierra Nevada and country around Susanville. LIved in the town built by Paul Bunyon Lumber company when it was Red River Logging. His neighbors were all old guys from this era, cutting gigantic firs, spruces and Redwoods, in just that manner. Would come to work each morning for 5 days to cut on the same tree. I have a photo of him, standing with a tree he felled, in the 1970's, He stood 6ft 3 inches, and held a axe at full length above his head, with about two feet of trunk butt stuck in the ground, and the axe head isn't above the tree. He told me that was the last of the big ones he ever cut, although a lot of trees were still pretty respectable. 5 log loads, were pretty common and they were still getting 3 log loads , before the Forest Service went all marxist on them.

Ya, its a real shame they stopped them from cutting down all the thousand year old trees, and old growth forrest in the country.

That is sarcasm in case it was missed. I think those fucking idiots should have figured out cutting down all the giants was a bad idea before the government had to step in to make sure they did not remove all of them. Kind of like how those old fucktards killed all the buffalo, wiped the Elk from 90% of their range, and almost wiped out the white tailed deer in the eastern half of the country.

Reactions: supercorndogs
Ya, its a real shame they stopped them from cutting down all the thousand year old trees, and old growth forrest in the country.

That is sarcasm in case it was missed. I think those fucking idiots should have figured out cutting down all the giants was a bad idea before the government had to step in to make sure they did not remove all of them. Kind of like how those old fucktards killed all the buffalo, wiped the Elk from 90% of their range, and almost wiped out the white tailed deer in the eastern half of the country.
So, by your thinking it is better that all the trees die of old age, and do NO ONE any good. Hamfisted, for sure.
White tailed Deer, by the way, are at pestiferous levels in the southeast, which is why some states have a 3 month season, and a 5 deer limit.
Sustained harvest of trees is a proven method, and private forests are producing at a prodigeous rate, all over the pacific northwest. Huge trees. The same could be done in the National Forests, but the FS is filled with leftist "conservationists" who know nothing about forest management.
"Old Growth" is a climax forest, a dying forest. What comes after "Old Growth" is death, and collapse of the ecosystem. The death and disease of older trees is a sad testament to the lack of thinking on the part of Federal management.
And don't get me started on the mismangement of Fires in NF's by the Feds. Let it burn has destroyed far more "Old Growth", than any logging activity in it's entirety. I lived most of my life in Eastern Oregon and CA, and witnessed Forest Fire after Forest Fire, and seen close up (working Fire Lines as a Medic), the outright criminality of the Forest Service, during these events.

Last edited:

I don’t disagree with you that everything you have mentioned were bad things that we have done but it’s easy to look back in 2020, as a beneficiary of those destructions, and say that it was wrong to do those things because we have technology now that prevents the need for deforestation and destruction of species. No doubt killing off buffalo herds was unspeakable but it provided the high quality flat leather belts that the country needed to literally drive the mechanical manufacturing revolution that started our path to becoming a super power. Sure, flat belts and overhead shafts were rapidly replaced with high quality vulcanized rubber v- belts and electric motors but that technology and quality didn’t exist in the 1870s. Decimation of old growth timber was again, a horrible atrocity to everyone of us who loves the woods and it is apparent now that it was very harmful to the environment but that timber was needed for the west coast to become the technological giant it is today and to literally support the rails that brought people west. Not to mention it provided jobs that housed, clothed, and fed people and their families.

it’s easy to look back at the atrocities Of the past and say something”woke” about how stupid people had been in a previous age, much more difficult to put yourself in that time and imagine if you would have been a vocal critic of the technologies that were making your life considerably better. It’s like the people who criticized Mark Kelly for quoting Winston Churchill, sure Churchill was probably a racist and he supported imperialism and a host of other bad things, but he was the only Western European leader of the time who was able to stem the tide and fight back against nazi expansion. You can’t evaluate history purely on the ideals of that time or based on modern ideals, neither can you revise and delete the parts you don’t like. You have to weigh the good with the bad, and determine if the ends justified the means. a better use of time than saying what a bunch of idiots our parents had been or how our ancestors wrecked the world or the economy would be to ask yourself what terrible evils are we creating for our children. Learn from the past, modify the present, and build a better future. Just my opinion, but the world today has a lot more critics than problem solvers and doers.

Let me inspire some of you to look further into the facts of the depletion of the bison in North America, it wasn't buffalo hunters.

If you do the math based on the estimated heard size in the mid 19th century it's just not possible that a bunch of hunters with single shot rifles on horseback with wagons were able to deplete a heard of 10s of millions that ran from the Canadian border to Kansas from the Rockies to the Mississippi river. It's just not possible.

Have you ever noticed the extreme lengths of false advertising that camouflage clothing makers go to?

Just look at a lot of their photos. It's mostly just trees, bushes and rocks.

Pretty interesting about the buffalo and disease, I’d also heard that they wouldn’t cross railroad tracks which cut their grazing area down and opened them up to easier attack from predators.

I'm buds with several on our PD. One swung by the fire station a few weeks ago, (he was Army Infantry before PD) and this nonsense got brought up. I said "Bill, there's probably more rifles in this fire station parking lot than yall have on patrol." He said "Hell, I know! That's why when the shit hits the fan, I'm coming here."

We are still anxiously waiting...