• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

20153297_30_600_892.jpg

20153497_35_600_800.jpg

Well said, and I agree. Great movie. I also loved the Irish drill sergeant. He really seemed to care.
The character that Morgan Freeman plays sums up the situation with these few lines in the movie. Blacks in this country would not have been released from the chains of slavery had it not been for a bunch of white boys dying for them.

My Father never used the N-word except to describe a black man that was an idiot. There wasn't a prejudiced bone in his body. That's just the way he'd describe a black person who's stupid.

There are plenty of white people that are idiots. No race has a monopoly on idiots. In that vein, when Morgan Freeman drops the term "Nigger" he's calling Denzel's character an idiot.

The jerks in the NFAC are what my Father would describe as Niggers - black people that happen to be idiots. BTW, I spent over two decades in the military and served with outstanding people of all colors and assholes of all colors.

Mr. Freeman's speech was the most moving scene in the movie.

1596001844067.png
1596001859051.png

He landed at Omaha Beach with Big Red One, fought his way to Nuremberg, Germany, and received three Silver Stars, two Purple Hearts, and the Medal of Honor for single-handedly killing 15 German soldiers and destroying three machine gun nests . . .

Born on September 15, 1924, Michael J. Daly, the son of a World War I veteran who had been recommended twice for the Medal of Honor, grew up hearing his father's stories about the Great War and the importance of honor, commitment and duty.
But he didn't seem to listen. As a rebellious teenager, the Fairfield, Connecticut native was kicked out of boarding school for disciplinary issues (he was caught drinking at a bar) and left West Point because of poor grades and a less-than-stellar attitude.
“I went to West Point and was a failure at the academy, a mediocre student with severe disciplinary problems, on special confinement, and continuously walking off punishment tours,” he later recalled.
In 1942, determined to make his father proud and fight for his country, he enlisted in the Army and was soon on his way to Europe.
Over the next eleven months, the 18-year-old infantryman would receive a battlefield commission and three Silver Stars and earn the reputation as a combat leader with a "high degree of aggressiveness, cool courage, and calculated daring."
On April 18, 1945, Lt. Daly, serving with the Third Infantry Division, was leading his company through the bombed-out ruins of Nuremberg when his men came under a withering barrage of small arms and machine gun fire.
Telling his men to take cover, the 20-year-old lieutenant "dashed forward alone, and, as bullets whined about him, shot a 3-man guncrew with his carbine."
With men getting hit and falling all around him, he then located an enemy patrol carrying rocket launchers and despite the hail of German fire now directed at his position, systematically eliminated all six soldiers in the unit.
But the Germans refused to back down.
Inching his way from one bunker to the next, the 6'3", 190-pound lieutenant destroyed two more machine gun nests, taking out the final gun crew with an M1 he had picked up from a dead American soldier.
For his "heroism during the lone bitter struggle against fanatical enemy forces" and for his extraordinary courage that inspired his men to continue to the attack and take Nuremberg, Lt. Daly was awarded the Medal of Honor.
"Captain Mike Daly was the finest officer and bravest man I have ever known," one of his sergeants later said.
Postscript:
The day after his heroic actions at Nuremberg, Daly, exhausted but still fighting, was shot in the head, the bullet entering through his ear and exiting at his opposite cheek.
Miraculously, the seemingly indomitable Daly survived the wound. He returned to the States, spent a year recovering, and in 1946 was discharged from the Army. He later started a business, married, and had two children.
Always interested in helping others, he raised millions of dollars for Bridgeport's St. Vincent's Hospital and over time became an advocate for the indigent and terminally ill.
Talking years later with local high school students about his WWII experiences and Medal of Honor, Daly remarked. "We all lose our courage at times. It's something we pray for in the morning, that God will give us the strength and courage to do what is right.”
Mike Daly, the once-rebellious teenager who found the "strength and courage do what was right," died on July 25, 2008, at the age of 83.

Gotta admire the stones of those old guys who just stood there and traded volleys of lead until one side lost their nerve and the other side finished them off with bayonets.

No penicillin or medivac back then either.

Going to reply to this before reading down, so if already covered sorry.

Generals always.....I hate the term always, but lets use it anyway for this discussion.....fight the last war. They are slow to change, quick with the I did not have that in my army why do they want it now, and slow to new and changing tech that changed war. Napoleon fought his wars with smooth bore arms, a smaller then the hole round ball, so it was easy to load once things got fowled up, that generally went in the direction it was pointed.....stick a couple hundred guys together and you have a huge shotgun flinging half inch nasty lead balls at each other, that when hitting the human body huge chunks of person would be torn away, be it flesh or bone.....even in the medicine of today hard to recover from an inch of bone missing and still keep a limb. We all have read the stories of the magic thing called the RIFLE going back to the 1700's being used on the battle field, be they the lone man in a tree shooting a British general and changing the outcome of a battle, to the english rifles of Napoleon's era. But that was really not what armies got made of. It was the guy with a few teeth and that smooth bore......till the US Civil War, and one reason both sides had "observers" looking in on just what all these new rifles, canon and even balloons could do.....What did the press do in the war, telegraph was new, how did that change things.....people say Crimean war was the first "modern" war, but I think it was the US civil war.

Anyhoo, I have drifted again, but want to say yes they did stand there and shoot at each other, but some figured out pretty quick that everything from trenches (first wide use of this) to just hiding behind a cotton bail would stop those big ole bullets.....by the (I would argue) mid point, last third of the war, standing in line was pretty much out, and it would look closer to WWI then to Napoleon's battles.