• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

back to boobs

Mila Azul
1628393784163.png

Even A&W thinks most of the American people are stupid.

PS: Can anyone explain to me how the Romans were able to be great engineers when their math was in Roman numerals. Have you ever tried to multiply or divide in Roman numerals? Let's not even talk about trigonometry!

Last edited:
I grew up when you had two choices, go look it up, requiring a trip to the library or figure it out on your own.

Many people today grew up with so much information at their fingertips they never developed the second skill.

Sadly it is the second skill that is the foundation for determining if the information you see is reasonable.

People fall victim to marketing and misinformation, yet believe they have superior critical thinking skills.

Far too many people today attack others with different views. We have fallen from the great debaters to the loudest screamers.

Well since I now know she is a medic, that's said she better not think her being booksmart will alone make her a good medic. Reading something in a book is 150% different than real life.

She needs to continually learn and not be afraid to learn from others that may have less time than her.

I was a 68W30Q5 and was just medically retired back in early July.

If she has any questions feel free to ask.

Doc

No offense, Doc. If I had a sucking chest wound, I'd want you there but I'm not sure I want anyone on the Hide associating with my daughter.

😜

I will say that the group in this forum are far more math-nimble than the general population. We think in Minutes of angle/Milliradians, do ballistic curve drop calculations, which include the affects of gravity on a speeding object which is losing velocity (in a non-linear fashion). We calculate the RPMs of the same object based upon muzzle velocity and barrel twist rates. Many do curve calculations of velocity versus grain of propellent (by type of propellent and mass/type of projectile).

In other words, we don't even consider that the math we mastered to shoot, would have been considered "engineer level calculations" only a couple hundred years ago.

So yes, the general public, which has trouble balancing checkbooks, or calculating change at the register... would seem dim to people who casually function at that level of shooting-math skill. I would bet that most people here could calculate a 15 percent tip at a restaurant, without reaching for a calculator.

You may not know it, but most here are More Math Nimble, than many college students. The humorous thing is, I bet most people who are non-shooters are unaware they are dealing with such capable people. They just see some country-fied hayseed shooting a bang-bang. Most likely, they are in forums, and have threads about how Dumb shooters are.

I worked for a man that owned a company worth millions and could not read a tape measure. He literally said it is 30’ and 3 little marks 🤔

One day a young vicar discovered that the janitor was illiterate and fired him. Jobless, the man invested his meager savings in a tiny tobacco shop, where he prospered, bought another, expanded, and ended up with a chain of tobacco stores worth several hundred thousand dollars. One day the man’s banker said, “You’ve done well for an illiterate, but where would you be if you could read and write?” “Well,” replied the man, “I’d be janitor of St. Peter’s Church in Neville Square.”

The Verger
By W. Somerset Maugham

Want to screw with the clerk at Burger King? If your total is $9.78, give him/her $10.78 and watch the reaction.
Been there, done that. McDonald’s Drive-Thru came to $4.97 I gave the girl a five dollar bill and 2 penny’s. She handed me the two penny’s back and said ”It’s only four dollars and ninety-seven cents”. I said “Yes I know but I wanted a nickel back in change”. She replied “Sir, I can’t give you back a nickel when your change is only 3 cents”. She had me there I guess.

I worked for a man that owned a company worth millions and could not read a tape measure. He literally said it is 30’ and 3 little marks 🤔
Worth millions huh?
He knew, something. He probably was illiterate.
My father was a very successful plumbing contractor....also illiterate. Good friend of mine very successful welding contractor....illiterate.

Comparing these men to a 20 something who can't read a fucking tape measure, is like comparing a corvette and a chevette.

I will say that the group in this forum are far more math-nimble than the general population. We think in Minutes of angle/Milliradians, do ballistic curve drop calculations, which include the affects of gravity on a speeding object which is losing velocity (in a non-linear fashion). We calculate the RPMs of the same object based upon muzzle velocity and barrel twist rates. Many do curve calculations of velocity versus grain of propellent (by type of propellent and mass/type of projectile).

In other words, we don't even consider that the math we mastered to shoot, would have been considered "engineer level calculations" only a couple hundred years ago.

So yes, the general public, which has trouble balancing checkbooks, or calculating change at the register... would seem dim to people who casually function at that level of shooting-math skill. I would bet that most people here could calculate a 15 percent tip at a restaurant, without reaching for a calculator.

You may not know it, but most here are More Math Nimble, than many college students. The humorous thing is, I bet most people who are non-shooters are unaware they are dealing with such capable people. They just see some country-fied hayseed shooting a bang-bang. Most likely, they are in forums, and have threads about how Dumb shooters are.
I strongly agree, but how do think most people would do today in an old school PRS match.
No laser rangefinder, no Kestrel, no calculator and nothing with batteries? Might be the longest match ever!

Having spent half an hour trying to explain the use of a tape measure (in vain) to a 20-something, I agree with A&W.
This just triggered a related question. What's with the kids these days, I assume Gen Z, working the cash register and calling out the transaction amount, omitting the "cent" denomination? Usually with an "and" or "with" in the middle of it?

Say your bill is $5.34. The response has always been, "that's five thirty four." Or you might get "that'll be five dollars thirty four cents." Maybe, "five dollars and thirty four cents."

But what I've run into, in several establishments, is "your total is five dollars and thirty four." And my brain goes "thirty four, what." I got a "five with thirty four" just this morning. It's like they are trying reason it out as they speak. I don't have kids. Is this a common core thing? Sounds weird.

And yes, I'm starting to realize I'm getting old and crotchety.

Last edited:
Reactions: nikonNUT
Whole lot of people in the construction trades are very math savvy. Anyone that has framed a hip roof knows this.

My 12 year old daughter was having trouble with math at the beginning of last year. Any time that happens we sit at the kitchen table and I try to un-do the bullshit her teachers have planted in her brain. I must have fixed it. We worked on her math, my way for a few weeks, then she stopped asking for help with her homework. By the end of the year she was straight A's, and given the suggestion of honors math next year.

A tape measure was brought out when it was fractions time...

Been there, done that. McDonald’s Drive-Thru came to $4.97 I gave the girl a five dollar bill and 2 penny’s. She handed me the two penny’s back and said ”It’s only four dollars and ninety-seven cents”. I said “Yes I know but I wanted a nickel back in change”. She replied “Sir, I can’t give you back a nickel when your change is only 3 cents”. She had me there I guess.
Yep, when working in Seattle, went through a McD's asked for half dozen tenders reply was We only sell 6 or 12 tenders
Told him guess I'll have 6 then

HAHAHA!!!
I was a carpenter foreman for many years. I can't tell you how many dipshits can't read a tape.
"It's, uh, 121 and, uh, 1, 2, 3, 4 little marks."
Whats simple for one man, is a task for another, right?

Worth millions huh?
He knew, something. He probably was illiterate.
My father was a very successful plumbing contractor....also illiterate. Good friend of mine very successful welding contractor....illiterate.

Comparing these men to a 20 something who can't read a fucking tape measure, is like comparing a corvette and a chevette.

Well... The Chevette gets better gas mileage, carries more passengers, fits in smaller parking spaces and is a definite chick magnet.

I strongly agree, but how do think most people would do today in an old school PRS match.
No laser rangefinder, no Kestrel, no calculator and nothing with batteries? Might be the longest match ever!
Even though I can run the numbers manually. I will admit I cheat a bit with battery-less shooting (typically hunting). I have my side parallax Wheel/Snail calibrated to do ranging (set Magnification to max, and adjust parallax for sharpest image (where the headbob produces no movement), then read the distance numbers I have marked on the wheel). Next to that distance number on the wheel I have how much Drop my preferred round(s) have at that range in Mils for that distance. Before I ever fire the first round (when I am marking the wheel for the first time), I have done a "projected dope sheet", which can help me spot if I have made some booboo with the setup at the range. The wheel/snail replaces the dope sheet I once used.

I started using this method when I was shooting a lot of subsonic rounds, which had significantly more drop (13 inches at 100 yards).
The lead accelerator pictured below was for firing a 145 grain Nosler Extreme round at the very quiet 850 FPS. Toys of this type are exempt from the federal requirement to have a permit/license for Moderators. It was so quiet; follow on shots for a second target were darn near assured.

Attachments

• bulldog with snail.jpg
    bulldog with snail.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 130
I won't lie I was way better at math before the forced us to use calculators on everything at school. We'd get bitched at for doing problems in paper without it lol

Had a boss from South Africa, I bought him one of these.
1628437951099.png

The kids today having problems with fractions had more focus on the metric system.
I am in my mid 50s and have trouble with fractions, I was brought up in various foreign countries and had european teachers, fractions give me fits. When I need to devide the length something and dont have a metric tape handy I convert to a decimal and move on.
Every job I've had has been associated with a foreign industry (Mercedes Benz, Swiss instrumentation industry) and everything is metric. I suppose if I had a job as a framer I would be more proficient.

The bottom line with the metrics/inch argument circles back to the fact that simple arithmetic is not taught to our children any more. Without this basic skill, you are fucked with either system.
I have worked in construction using both systems, here and overseas. The metric system is by far easier to use (I was raised with feet/inches/miles and will always think that way, but I can do reasonably complex arithmetic equations in my head). I liken it to the machine work I graduated to, it's the same principle using thousandths, as is metric. BTW, I never saw anyone using centimeters where I worked, always millimeters and meters.