• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mount Rings for Tikka T3X Tac A1 with Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56 ? Newcomer Lost

GGambit

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am literally brand new to LR shooting and recently purchased a Tikka T3X Tac A1 along with a Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56. My version of a buy once cry once. I am now looking for the appropriate rings to run with this rifle. However, due to the 0MAO rail, it seems like there are less options and more difficult factors to consider. Being completely new, I am lost with all of this information and uncertain which rings I need.

Shooting goals - I want to shoot everything from 100 yards to, eventually, a mile.
Desires for rings - I want to be able to use the sun shade that comes with the scope if need and also caps for protecting the glass in transport and storage.

1. Form my understanding, due to the type of rail the Tikka has (0MAO) I need to get fixed rings that have at least 20 MOA. Possibly more if I want to shoot up to a mile? Not sure about this piece so someone correct me if I am wrong at 20 MOA is enough.
2. Is there a specific material I should be looking at for the rings so they do not damage the scope? There are a bunch of materials but I am sure any rings worth their salt wont damage the optic.
3. What brands would you recommend? On my list are American Defense (price conscious) or Spuhr (all out). From what I can tell, AD are high quality and will serve me well while saving me a little for other equipment I need to get into the sport.

Can someone point me in the right direction, or link specific rings that are GTG?

Thank you for whatever advice you can offer!

Spuhr 4601.

IMG_0088.jpeg

Reactions: Threadcutter308
I run an ARC M10-QDL Mount w/20MOA on my Tac A1 with an Athlon Ares ETR. 1.57” height.

Reactions: Changed
Hello everyone,

I am literally brand new to LR shooting and recently purchased a Tikka T3X Tac A1 along with a Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56. My version of a buy once cry once. I am now looking for the appropriate rings to run with this rifle. However, due to the 0MAO rail, it seems like there are less options and more difficult factors to consider. Being completely new, I am lost with all of this information and uncertain which rings I need.

Shooting goals - I want to shoot everything from 100 yards to, eventually, a mile.
Desires for rings - I want to be able to use the sun shade that comes with the scope if need and also caps for protecting the glass in transport and storage.

1. Form my understanding, due to the type of rail the Tikka has (0MAO) I need to get fixed rings that have at least 20 MOA. Possibly more if I want to shoot up to a mile? Not sure about this piece so someone correct me if I am wrong at 20 MOA is enough.
2. Is there a specific material I should be looking at for the rings so they do not damage the scope? There are a bunch of materials but I am sure any rings worth their salt wont damage the optic.
3. What brands would you recommend? On my list are American Defense (price conscious) or Spuhr (all out). From what I can tell, AD are high quality and will serve me well while saving me a little for other equipment I need to get into the sport.

Can someone point me in the right direction, or link specific rings that are GTG?

Thank you for whatever advice you can offer!
I use a Spuhr sp 4002 with the same Vortex you mentioned. Same rifle in 6.5 Creed.

I run an ARC M10-QDL Mount w/20MOA on my Tac A1 with an Athlon Ares ETR. 1.57” height.
I have the exact same setup but with ARC 30MOA Mount on my TAC A1 and Razor Gen 2.

It would be my recommendation. Made in America and a better ring design IMO. Also $100 cheaper.

What’s the minimum height needed for 34mm scope/rings to clear a 56mm obj on the rig by the OP?

Does this allow you to reach out for mile shots? I read on some other threads that 20 MOA will reach to 1,000 yards and not much farther. Most of my shooting will be 1,000 yards and less but I want to hit that mile mark as well.

Spuhr 4601.

View attachment 7373843
Thank you for the picture. Super helpful. Is there a specific reason these are so expensive compared to others? I wasn't able to tell if this had a bubble as well.

Also, do you have any issues reaching out to a mile with this setup?

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I have the exact same setup but with ARC 30MOA Mount on my TAC A1 and Razor Gen 2.

It would be my recommendation. Made in America and a better ring design IMO. Also $100 cheaper.

Did you go with the 30 MOA so that you could reach out to shoot farther? From my research it seems like that is the reason to go with a higher MOA but I am not sure. If so, any trouble hitting distances between 100-1,000 yards?

Correct. The razor has more than enough elevation with a 30moa mount that it will not be too far from the optical center. 30MOA is about 9 mils.

If you are never shooting over 1K, you don't even need a canted base with the razor and 6.5cm. Its less than 10 mils to 1k and you have 14+ of usable mils if you end up with a zero in the middle of the turret. You then have the reticle for an additional 10 mils of hold.

You can also zero at a further distance such as 2 or 300 yards to gain some more elevation.

30 MOA will let you take the 6.5CM out past a mile in the right conditions, with the right load, but its anemic at that distance. I would rather have the capability to do it than one day want to do it and be unable too. Even if you are just lobbing mortars at that point. It also give you some more breathing room if your zero is not in the middle of the turrets.

Correct. The razor has more than enough elevation with a 30moa mount that it will not be too far from the optical center. 30MOA is about 9 mils.

If you are never shooting over 1K, you don't even need a canted base with the razor and 6.5cm. Its less than 10 mils to 1k and you have 14+ of usable mils if you end up with a zero in the middle of the turret. You then have the reticle for an additional 10 mils of hold.

You can also zero at a further distance such as 2 or 300 yards to gain some more elevation.

30 MOA will let you take the 6.5CM out past a mile in the right conditions, with the right load, but its anemic at that distance. I would rather have the capability to do it than one day want to do it and be unable too. Even if you are just lobbing mortars at that point. It also give you some more breathing room if your zero is not in the middle of the turrets.

Thank you for the detailed reply, it is really helpful. Based on your explanation, it sound like a mount with 30MOA will be exactly what I want. It will allow me to shoot from 100-1000 yards with no problems (most likely 90% of my shooting and possibility getting into competitions) but also give me the ability to easily shoot out to a mile which is the achievement goal I set for myself.

100% agree with you that I would rather have that capability and versatility from the start then move up in the future and not have the right base for the shots. This is a big investment for me so I won't be making any changes in the near future.

For clearance of the optic in relation to the rail, based on everyone's responses, it sounds like I will need to at least have a 1.57. Otherwise, I will not be able to have scope covers or utilize the sunshade. Do you have that height on your arc as well? Any issues with utilizing those accessories?

This is 1.57” with a 34mm tube/56mm objective.
View attachment 7374388

First, love the setup. Second, that looks SOOO close. I read on another thread that the gap with a cover at that height was something like 6 playing cards. Any issues with it being that close? I don't see a higher height option other than 1.57.

Another noob question, can the bipod simply be attached to our barrels? From the looks of it it seems like we need another attachment just to mount a bipod.

First, love the setup. Second, that looks SOOO close. I read on another thread that the gap with a cover at that height was something like 6 playing cards. Any issues with it being that close? I don't see a higher height option other than 1.57.

Another noob question, can the bipod simply be attached to our barrels? From the looks of it it seems like we need another attachment just to mount a bipod.
Thanks 👍🏼.
It is close, but I’ve never had any issues, flip cap never touches anything.
As for the bipod - I would not mount to barrel, you’re putting stress/pressure on the barrel, won’t help for accuracy. Either a pic rail mount, MLOK mount, Harris stud style mount, or Arca rail mount (all on the chassis/handguard) are the way to go.
I’ve never had the opportunity to shoot beyond 1,000 yards so I don’t know for sure. I can get to 1,000 with ~10 mils elevation dialed in, and I know there’s more to give - but I’d probably run out on the way to a mile and have to do a holdover I’d guess.

Thank you for the picture. Super helpful. Is there a specific reason these are so expensive compared to others? I wasn't able to tell if this had a bubble as well.

Also, do you have any issues reaching out to a mile with this setup?

There is a bubble level. I don't think I could dial to 1 mile. It would require four+ revolutions on the turret (44.5 mils). I have shot out to 1400 yards ( 1 mile = 1760) just dialing though (27.4 mils). Which is almost three revolutions of the turret.