• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mount Strength

9x23w

Private
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2006
Suffern, NY
I've been using Burris Signature Zee rings on most of my rifles, but recently went to the new XTR Signature rings for my Remington Police rifle. Compared to the Signtaure Zee's, the XTR's are much larger, heavier, much longer (ring length), and higher. Everything I didn't want. They are massive, but I'm wondering if all this strength is really necessary?

Has anyone ever done or is aware of any testing showing how much force or what kind if impact it would take to dislodge normal mounts? Are these massive tactical setups really doing anything or are they just for show? That is, at some level of impact your scope is not going to point where it did before (if it even works), so what is to be gained by having a mount that can take a much heavier impact?

Need more info:

What rifle and caliber?

What scope are you using?

What do you do with it? hunting, target only, compete in matches, etc,?

Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua, Vortex Viper PST 4-16X. Just for target, but who knows what the future may bring?

Look at what the Marine Corps uses to hold the scopes on their sniper rifles. That's a good clue about what is strong enough.