• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mounting A Bin Under A Bench To Catch Brass

nwsnowbum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2008
Spokane, WA
I'm currently processing a lot of brass. I am trying to limit my movement as much as possible to speed up the process. One hand to knock out and place brass, the other to work the press. I currently using a co-ax press. I'm hoping to be able to just knock out the brass as I am putting the next piece in the jaws. Problem is I'd like to catch the brass in a bin that I can mount on the underside of my bench so I don't have to pick them up off the floor. I was going to make something this weekend, but was wondering if someone else already has made one or there is some simple and handy solution already out there.

And yes, I realize this is bordering on extreme laziness.

Re: Mounting A Bin Under A Bench To Catch Brass

Duct tape and a cardboard box works pretty well

Staple gun and 4" dryer vent hose. It may be better to use a big heavy plastic cable tie to actually staple to. The hose itself isn't that strong. Even if you catch it on a wire. But it would handle it pretty easy. Cut off the hose you don't need and duct tape it pointing down into the box.

It would be demeaning to your chi to use anything less than Mahogany planks, hand dove tailed and glued only with phenolic resin. Use bar clamps. Secure to underside of bench using teak dowels of 11/32" diameter.

I didn't think you were lazy
whistle.gif

I'm not lazy or cheap. But I am motion challenged and very frugal.

I have screws all along the front side of my bench for hanging paint buckets. Go to the hardware store and buy the 1 gallon paint buckets with the wire handles. I hang one under my press and just drop the cases straight down into the bucket when I pull it out of the press. I believe that I paid less than $2 a piece for them and they are one of the best investments that I have made for my bench.