• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mounting a pre-fit barrel to a stock Rem. action?

Sid Post

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma, USA
Can a non-gunsmith properly headspace and mount a factory take-off barrel to a stock Remington action? What tools would I need and where should I buy them? Or, am I better off sending off to a qualified gunsmith?

Re: Mounting a pre-fit barrel to a stock Rem. action?

Honestly you should have a GS do it headspace is no place to learn smithing.It's not overly complicated but it needs to be right.

The real question is what you'll wind up with? Most here are pursuing consistencey a take off is less then an ideal place to start.

If your intent on doing get a set of go/no go gauges.A action wrench and barrel vise.Mark your recoil lug position with a few indicator marks.Screw on the barrel most factory barrels are on pretty tight my guess would be around 95 lbs but thats a guess.

Now dissasemble your bolt and remove the ejector.Install the go gauge and see if the bolt drops freely....if yes switch to the no go if it gets hung up at a point when closing yout gtg.If it closes your headspace is excessive then its off to the smith.If the go does'nt close freely its off to the smith.

Hope this helps.

I did a simple barrel swap yesterday.
The customer had bought a thin barrel SPS and ended up wanting a heavy barrel.
He brought over a take-off factory remington heavy barrel.
I checked headspace of each barrel and the heavy barrel was 0.0015" shorter than the original barrel.
After assembly to check headspace, I found the gun to be 0.005" over "go".
I surface ground 0.003" from the lug and the gun is snug on a 1.632" gauge now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a simple barrel swap yesterday.
I checked headspace of each barrel and the heavy barrel was 0.0015" shorter than the original barrel.
I surface ground 0.003" from the lug and the gun is snug on a 1.632" gauge now. </div></div>
Simple and to the point and you have a happy customer. We all wish every one wanted a new barrel with all the trimmings but sometimes making them happy (and safe) is the best answer. Well put

Thanks everyone!

I have a 1x12 rifle and need to go 1x9 or better for heavier rounds so I don't ding my suppressor if someone slips a heavy match round in without me knowing. I also need the barrel turned down so, I'm looking for a stainless one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a simple barrel swap yesterday.
I surface ground 0.003" from the lug and the gun is snug on a 1.632" gauge now.</div></div>

Interesting way of headspacing. Doing it this way definitely saves you the time of dialing in the barrel!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wtopace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting way of headspacing. Doing it this way definitely saves you the time of dialing in the barrel! </div></div>

You have to keep the context of the big picture.
Stock un-trued reciever.
Stock barrel.
Customer does not want to pay for a full rebuild.
We assume the barrel and receiver are "square enough" for the needs of the customer.

The lug is the easiest part to modify.
I have a surface grinder.

The barrel and receiver are just as square now as they were before disassembly.
The customer is happy...