• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mounting a Timer

Gaytigertango

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2019
I am looking to mount a timer or stopwatch on the side of my optic/rifle, So I can see where I am during PRS/NRL stages. Does anyone have any recommendations or Pics (that would be great) of how some of you guys are running your set up? Thanks in advance. I did a search could not find a thread on this topic if there is one someone drop the link.

Thanks Hoyt7mm I like how that is set up. I am also running a Sendit level so curious how that would impede the vision. I might just velco two sided tape with timer below the optic.

I wanted the smallest possible timer. That only had one function. This is what I wound up with.

It’s separate from the data board, and has one button that starts and stops/clears the timer. Velcro attachment to a wire tie.

I heard Jon Pynch discussing this timer on the podcast. I had been looking for the smallest possible unit. This is 1" x 1".

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
88cf58436d3a1c41f0168fbcc4abc8f2b2afbe45.jpg

you do realize not EVERYTHING needs to be mounted on your rifle.....right?

88cf58436d3a1c41f0168fbcc4abc8f2b2afbe45.jpg

you do realize not EVERYTHING needs to be mounted on your rifle.....right?
hard to start a time on 'GO!' when you are standing port arms with a rifle and bag in one hand and then trying to start the timer on the wrist of your other hand. The rifle mounted timer allows you to hold your rifle safely and still start very close to the time you start the stage.

hard to start a time on 'GO!' when you are standing port arms with a rifle and bag in one hand and then trying to start the timer on the wrist of your other hand. The rifle mounted timer allows you to hold your rifle safely and still start very close to the time you start the stage.
  1. look at watch when timer man beeps his beeper
  2. add stage time to watch time
  3. bobs your auntie

Reactions: tnc
Rifle mounted is a test for me. I've tried watches in the past, but find them distracting. The rifle mounted version is out of the way, yet in my face. Different strokes.

Not trying to be super pushy but we just came out with one that mounts to the side of the rifle that you can start with your thumb. It uses the same yellow timer as posted above. Mounts to the ambidextrous thumb rest provisions on our chassis' but can be used on others if you can get creative. https://xlrindustries.com/collections/new-for-2020/products/shot-timer-mount

Just placed an order for the timer mount for my manners ppr. Timer is already here and waiting. Hope to use the mini chassis screw as one of the mounting points

Reactions: XLR Industries
I have a buddy that has one of these silly things on his gun and he times out a ton still. not sure what the point is.
(in his defense, he's ranked higher than me currently. he's a great shooter - but will admit he times out a lot still)

shoot more, get that internal clock working. slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

if you are relatively new and timing out a lot. that will go away with more practice.

there's really only 3-4 positions in PRS style shooting. prone/modified prone, squatting, kneeling, standing. all the props are just that - props. you shoot the same way off all of them.

do a ton of dry fire or live fire practice on barricades and the time management will come naturally without strapping a bunch of crap to your gun.

XLR makes a cool little mount and I bought a little watch from Amazon that attaches to it. Works great. Heard about it from Jon Pynch on a podcast.

Reactions: deersniper
How about a velcro mount on your scope cap?
Flip it up to the 10:00-11:00 position so you can still see with the cap open.

Maybe someone can 3-D print a mount or a cap with a built in mount.

Ignore the time, timers are simply a distraction. Do what needs to be done as well as you can do it and time will take care of itself. If you find you are taking longer than everyone else and they still have a better hit percentage, then your practice sessions need to focus on speed.

Ranking the possible options

1 Hit everything in the fastest time
2 Hit everything you shoot at, but the allotted time expires
3 Fire all your shots in the allotted time, but miss with half

I am unimpressed by fast misses.

Reactions: NewsShooter
Local guy came up with these. Rare earth magnets I think. Holds a tiny stopwatch and/or dope cards

I am looking to mount a timer or stopwatch on the side of my optic/rifle, So I can see where I am during PRS/NRL stages. Does anyone have any recommendations or Pics (that would be great) of how some of you guys are running your set up? Thanks in advance. I did a search could not find a thread on this topic if there is one someone drop the link.