• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Movies that should never be remade...

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
The new "Red Dawn" to me ranks as one of those movies that shouldn't be re-made...

Not that movies should be re-made, anyway. Seems like a way out of, say, original thinking? But since those who make movies seem to insist on re-making them these days... what movies do you think were so perfect the first time that it would be/is/was a tragedy to re-make them?

A few I can think of:

Casablanca
Blazing Saddles (not that you *Could* ever re-make it)
Star Wars
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Dirty Harry
The Outlaw Josey Wales

I have more I could list...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Re: Movies that should never be remade...

The movies that should be remade are ones that were great ideas, but poor executions. Unfortunately, that reasonable creative reason to remake a film is counter-intuitive to the business of filmmaking, where remaking a failed film in the hopes of making it better will likely not draw people to theaters because they are reminded of how poor the first one was.

And a big part of the reason you see remakes in the first place is Hollywood studios trying to hedge their bets. Films are damned expensive gambles these days and anything they can do to help get people into seats, the better for the bottom line. So they become creatively risk averse and decide it's safe to make remakes and sequels that they think everyone will go see (and it works, to a degree).

Read a few days ago that Tony Scott (RIP) and Jerry Bruckheimer along with Mr Cruise were entertaining "Top Gun II" God help us. Hollywood has erroded into a pile of useless clowns with no sense of imagination or creativity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMelton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hollywood has erroded into a pile of useless clowns with no sense of imagination or creativity.</div></div>

This is completely inaccurate, though entirely expected from the outside looking in. For the reasons I wrote about in the post above yours, it's the business side of Hollywood that turned very risk averse over the years - not the creative side. So if you're looking for bold, creative ideas you generally have to look at studios outside of the system (ie independents and premium networks like HBO). They don't have the kind of pressures to fill sits in theaters for a window of time and tend to work with smaller budgets that are less of a gamble if things go sour.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMelton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hollywood has erroded into a pile of useless clowns with no sense of imagination or creativity.</div></div>

This is completely inaccurate, though entirely expected from the outside looking in. For the reasons I wrote about in the post above yours, it's the business side of Hollywood that turned very risk averse over the years - not the creative side. So if you're looking for bold, creative ideas you generally have to look at studios outside of the system (ie independents and premium networks like HBO). They don't have the kind of pressures to fill sits in theaters for a window of time and tend to work with smaller budgets that are less of a gamble if things go sour. </div></div>

That ^^^ I totally agree with!

Unfortunately, good creative film-making is an art. And the side business is run by accountants, actuaries and risk managers.

Re-making a classic title makes them happy because you can tip the scales towards success enough to make the numbers work. Then constrain the artist to the old script or formula (thus the sequals that go on for decades.)

Only a few directors/writers/etc. have the track record to pursue the novel or the creative.

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new "Red Dawn" to me ranks as one of those movies that shouldn't be re-made...

Not that movies should be re-made, anyway. Seems like a way out of, say, original thinking? But since those who make movies seem to insist on re-making them these days... what movies do you think were so perfect the first time that it would be/is/was a tragedy to re-make them?

A few I can think of:

Casablanca
Blazing Saddles (not that you *Could* ever re-make it)
Star Wars
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Dirty Harry
The Outlaw Josey Wales

I have more I could list...

Cheers,

Sirhr
</div></div>
lonesome dove
forrest gump
raging bull
terminator

Pulp Fiction
Dumb and Dumber

I find that Hugh Jackman has many physical attributes similar to Clint Eastwood. I would like to see the "Dirty Harry" franchise restarted with Jackman. Maybe a story of Inspector Callahan shooting Nancy Pelosi or something along those lines. Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"Manhunter"
</div></div>
With William Peterson? It has been remade to Red Dragon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helen Keller 02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fern gully. Am i rightm or am i right? </div></div>

x2...lol

Anything made by Stanley Kubrick. Anything made by Akira Kurosawa.

Good, Bad, Ugly for sure. Hell, anything Sergio Leone. I think it would be best to steer clear of trying to redo anything Tarantino also.

I guess it all comes down to the director for me. And note each one of those directors above are all artists that refrain from "doing what it's told".

Where the Red Fern Grows.

I am less concerned with previoous movies than I am about the one I'm watching. I try to judge each production according to its own merits, and not by comparison to (an)other(s).

Greg

Platoon
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Debbie Does Dallas

I'll play:

Casablanca
Maltese Falcon
Forbidden Planet
Sahara
Man Hunt
Bullet
Ronin
African Queen

Commander Cody

Way too many to list but these are my top favs, any boggy or duke movies and any 50s sci fi,

Ones that shouldn't have:

The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Searchers
War of the Worlds
Stagecoach several times

Run Silent, Run Deep. Seriously, how can you beat Clark Gable?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Platoon
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Debbie Does Dallas </div></div>

I thought they already re-did Debbie Does Dallas?

^^ correction, i re-read the OP and see that this a "was/is/be" question...

Three Days of the Condor
E.T.
Indiana Jones
The Fifth Element
Collateral
Alien(s)

Sure would be nice if Hollywood would get some original ideas for once.

I'd like to start a grass-roots effort to boycott any and all re-makes, re-boots, etc.

Maybe then Hollywood would come up with something original.

I just watched part of "The Highlander". I would like to see a movie that followed the life of one of the other guys (who obviously gets his head looped off at some point). He could be from any old country with any type of life experiences.

With modern technology, the film could be pretty amazing. Perhaps, his mentor could be Liam Neisen or Russel Crowe and the star could be Chris Hemsworth or Sam Worthington with the maybe the Rock as the "bad" guy who loops off everyone's head. Just a thought.

Cannibal Holocaust no way can todays Hollywood ever pull off a classic like this
McQ
Southern Comfort
the Wind And The Lion
Ulzanas Raid
Mad Max
Animal House
Police Academy
The Wild Bunch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yentl and anything with Jane fonda in it.</div></div>

^^^ Those are movies that should never have been made in the first place!

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yentl and anything with Jane fonda in it.</div></div>

^^^ Those are movies that should never have been made in the first place!

Cheers,

Sirhr </div></div>

Thats for sure.

Lawrance of Arabia
Last of the Mohicans
The Longest Day
All quiet on the Western Front
Dr. Zhivago
Saving Private Ryan
Mary Poppins "Plug for my kid"
The Sound of Music "Plug for my wife"
Fox and the Hound

Leave "Jeremiah Johnson" alone. Great flick, I'd hate to see it redone.

Oh Warriors come out to playayeeee!

the-warriors.jpg

One of the best holiday comedies that I can think of is "national lampoons Christmas Vacation" with Chevy Chase. This movie was freaking hilarious and there is no way a remake could be done any better. Maybe not a top 100 movie but still a classic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swampbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lawrance of Arabia
</div></div>

"Lawrence of Arabia" is celebrating its 50th anniversary this month. If you live near a big city you may find a screening as they've remastered it for the 3rd time now, this time with a 4K digital intermediate.

Blade Runner.

Ridley Scott has remade it so many different times it would be superfluous, redundant, ridiculous to make yet another version.

I still like the original.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">From Dusk Till Dawn </span> </span></span>.
Cant make it any better than it was done the 1st time around .
-
<span style="font-weight: bold">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9FCOAEPHHM</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Thing.</div></div>

The 1982 John Carpenter version was a remake of a 1951 version, though obviously more "re-imagined" than a straight remake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Thing.</div></div>

The 1982 John Carpenter version was a remake of a 1951 version, though obviously more "re-imagined" than a straight remake. </div></div>

Sad thing is knew that before i posted just failed to remember it lol. But yeah John Carpenters was definitely more re-imagined.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hobo With a Shotgun

Nothing can surpass the original..... </div></div>

I think I only kept wasting my time to see if it could actually get any worse. It did.

Indiana Jones
Field of Dreams
Meet Joe Black
American History X
Bloodsport
Youngblood
Rocky
American Beauty
several that have been mentioned
several more that will pop up throughout the next week
Some movies have a place in time where they work, and some are so much a part the people producing them that you cannot separate them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MINITS iWitness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I think I only kept wasting my time to see if it could actually get any worse. It did.</div></div>

If you enjoyed Hobo With a Shotgun, Paintball is a must see!