• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Movies that should never be remade...

Re: Movies that should never be remade...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaliShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please Hollywood for the love of all things decent, DO NOT EVER remake this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txUIq2O3wPE </div></div>

That one shold never have been made the first time.

Surprised nobody hasn't said:

-The God Father Part I and II
III sucked feel free to remak

-Enter the Dragon

-Coming to America. No way you can make it funnier

-oh yea and Bloodsport . Haha

Z82deadeye, Enter the Dragon was remade, it was called Mortal Kombat LOL.

Never remake:

Blade Runner
Any Bergman film
Chungking Express

I'm gonna catch some heat for this but I would like to see high Jackman in a Clint Eastwood remake. Maybe pale rider, dirty harry

I think they should have done Red Dawn but they should have waited and made the plot about the disarming of the United States.

Defiantly not:
Wizard of OZ
Total Recall
True Grit
Le Femme Nikita

Please don't because they can't be topped
Heat
Any John Hughes film

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"Manhunter"
</div></div>
With William Peterson? It has been remade to Red Dragon.

Obviously, I didn't know that. I did however, watch Red Dragon tonight for the first time. I still like the original, but they seem to have done it justice. Much better than ruining it.

The Professional
Schindler's List
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Good Night, and Good Luck
We Were Soldiers
Edward Scissorhands
The Godfather Part 1 & 2 (3 should have never been made to start with)
Cool Hand Luke
Smokey & the Bandit
Mars Attacks!
The Goonies
Gremlins

EDIT, couple more:

Revenge of the Nerds
Jaws
Das Boot
The Lost Boys

Last edited:
Surprised nobody hasn't said:

-The God Father Part I and II
III sucked feel free to remak

-Enter the Dragon

-Coming to America. No way you can make it funnier

-oh yea and Bloodsport . Haha

Swear I didn't read this post before putting up my contributions.

To the previous excellent submissions, I'll add:

Arsenic and Old Lace
Harvey
Silverado
Quigley Down Under
Water (starring Michael Caine -- what, you've never seen this comedy!?)
Charley Varrick (starring Walter Matthau -- "What I had in mind was boxing the compass.")

I know these were remade, but they shouldn't be remade again:

Miracle on 42nd Street
My Man Godfrey

Fried Green Tomatoes
Piano
The Note Book
etc, etc,etc

Shouldn't have been made in the first place - hope to God they don't remake them

I just watched part of "The Highlander". I would like to see a movie that followed the life of one of the other guys (who obviously gets his head looped off at some point). He could be from any old country with any type of life experiences.

With modern technology, the film could be pretty amazing. Perhaps, his mentor could be Liam Neisen or Russel Crowe and the star could be Chris Hemsworth or Sam Worthington with the maybe the Rock as the "bad" guy who loops off everyone's head. Just a thought.

I think following the life story of Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobo Ramirez (Sean Connery's character) would be a good story, and just end the movie when he meets Connor MacLeod for the first time.

The sad truth about remaking films is that it makes more sense for the movie studios to remake previously successful films, not to fix duds, which I often wish they would do. There are lots of films out there for one reason or another were great stories but poorly executed films. But the public doesn't really go for "re-do's" but would rather go see a classic modernized or a new take on a previously successful film, and the studios consider it less risky financially to do that. So we get remakes of "Evil Dead", "The Karate Kid" and "Total Recall" instead of remakes of real dogs like "Runaway", "Showgirls" and "Battlefield Earth."

A Clockwork Orange
The Big Labowski
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Citizen Kane
Snatch
Cat on A Hot Tin Roof
Cool Hand Luke
Forbidden Planet
Rocky Horror Picture Show

trying not to repeat others, probably failed:

it's a wonderful life
christine
grease
saving private ryan
planet of the apes
caddyshack
american grafitti
alice in wonderland
pink floyd's the wall

anything with eastwood, monty python, or mel brooks attached to it - hands off

They should redo brokeback mountain, make it a short film where jerimiah Johnson walks up on the two playin cornhole and smashes them with an axe, end of short film

The great escape

Glengarry Glenross

Akira. (so glad the live action version folded, would not have worked in NYC)

The sad truth about remaking films is that it makes more sense for the movie studios to remake previously successful films, not to fix duds, which I often wish they would do. There are lots of films out there for one reason or another were great stories but poorly executed films. But the public doesn't really go for "re-do's" but would rather go see a classic modernized or a new take on a previously successful film, and the studios consider it less risky financially to do that. So we get remakes of "Evil Dead", "The Karate Kid" and "Total Recall" instead of remakes of real dogs like "Runaway", "Showgirls" and "Battlefield Earth."

Me, I do not want to go see any movie that was made in the past, classic or dud. I want originality out of hollywoodland with good directing, good characters, quality acting, actors who fit the character they are portraying. I know you and I disagree but to me, today's movies rely on too much FX than the movie but today's audience get a thrill out of it, the more the better that over shadows a poor movie but they see it as golden classic VS good quality story and acting.

Battlefield Earth, wow, I read the book and waited 20+ years for it to come to the screen, a huge let down in the movie and casting.

This is absolutely true. When I was still in California, and working for Sierra Bullets (then in Santa Fe Springs), I drove past the La Puente Hills mall on the way to work every day. The same mall, incidentally where the scene with Doc Brown, the DeLorean time machine and the Libyan terrorists was filmed for "Back to the Future", but I digress. Anyway, there was (naturally) a multi-plex cinema in the mall, something like 16 different theatres. As I was driving in one morning, I glanced at the theater's sign and saw the listing of all the films that were currently playing. I damn near ran off the freeway laughing, and should have taken a picture of the thing. ALL 16 theatres were playing movies that were "Part 2," "Part 3", or some other sequel to a long-gone original film. Seriously. All 16 of them . . . every damned one of them!

Amazes me that people refer to this community as being so "creative"!

Amazes me that people refer to this community as being so "creative"!

It is, but movies have become very expensive gambles and in the last 10 years the movie studios are doing everything in their power to hedge their bets. It's a business decision on their part in that they feel they have a better chance of packing theaters with sequels and remakes of things that are already established and well proven. And audiences tend to respond more positively to that unfortunately. Bottom line, they have become very risk averse, more so than in previous decades. That is why the more inventive risk taking is happening on the premium networks like Showtime and HBO as well as the smaller indie films that don't have such crazy budgets to gamble with.

But this is a point I've made here repeatedly...

Lot's of folks have put up Mr. Wayne as off limits, I agree (though I did like J. Bridges' performance). My addition to the off limits list is... everything already made, but especially Steve McQueen. Pappillon, The Great Escape, The Blob, The Magnificent Seven, Bullitt. Sadly that pole smoker Pierce Brosnan remade The Thomas Crown Affair.

I don't know that they shouldn't have been remade, but the remakes that were made sucked.
-Vanishing Point
-The Italian Job
-Gone In 60 Seconds
Please quit totally rewriting the plot when you remake movies. I mean Kowalski has a first name in the remake for God's sake. It just ain't right.

Thief
The Odessa File
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Major Payne
Planet of the Apes
The Fly
Spaceballs

Some of these have already been remade, and it is disgusting. Remaking Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory!!!???? One does not screw with perfection, like with the Planet of the Apes.

On a side note, since marijuana has been legalized here in Colorado, there is a guy selling doobage while wearing a Willy Wonka outfit, right on Colfax Ave., and his buddy is dressed up like an Oompa Loompa. Pretty damn cool, actually.

Actually, I kind of would like to see a remake of Dr. Strangelove. I mean, they're gonna be turning out crap anyway, might as well include the original film in the box set.

Back when I worked in Hollywood we would get scripts pouring into our studio. Yup, a remake of Casablanca staring Ben Afleck was circulating, it's not a myth. Sacrilege!!

I agree with most of you, you have some good movies on your list. Don't know what asshole remade The Thing or Conan The Barbarian. How can anyone replace Arnie!

My list:

Alien
Aliens
Bladerunner
Casablanca
Terminator
Deer Hunter
Cramer Vs. Cramer
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Thing
Three Days of the Condor
THe Great Waldo Pepper
The Great Santini
Robocop
Conan The Barbarian
American Gigolo
Scarface
Gladiator
Heat

The Godfather!!!!! No way in hell!

Back when I worked in Hollywood we would get scripts pouring into our studio. Yup, a remake of Casablanca staring Ben Afleck was circulating, it's not a myth. Sacrilege!!

I agree with most of you, you have some good movies on your list. Don't know what asshole remade The Thing or Conan The Barbarian. How can anyone replace Arnie!

My list:

Alien
Aliens
Bladerunner
Casablanca
Terminator
Deer Hunter
Cramer Vs. Cramer
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Thing
Three Days of the Condor
THe Great Waldo Pepper
The Great Santini
Robocop
Conan The Barbarian
American Gigolo
Scarface
Gladiator
Heat

The Godfather!!!!! No way in hell!

I liked the new “The Thing”. It wasn’t a re-make though, it was a prequel.

My list of movies that should never be remade.

Kelly' s Heros
Big Jake
The Man from Snowy River
Von Ryan's Express
Animal House
Uncommon Valor

This is all I can think of that have not already been mentioned.

Definitely Kelley's Heroes.

Telly Savalis, Clint Eastwood, Don Rickles, Carroll O'Connor...you could never cast that movie as perfectly today

Watching "Big Bang Theory" reruns, I'd like to see a remake of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" without the Indiana Jones character.