• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Moving from the Bench to Prone sights are off?

Re: Moving from the Bench to Prone sights are off?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those that followed this, here is the video, shooting from the prone, rifle is zeroed... then I move to support side shooting left handed, then to a bench and back to support side from the bench.

Results are demonstrated via unedited video...

I will say, I have the target, in case anyone wants a close up.

</div></div>

LL, what range are you at in the vid?

That video proves dick... Everybody knows AI's are the exception, all other rifles, zeros shift.

That's an interweb FACT.

I asked the question of Jacob: Why does my zero seem to shift a bit over a three-day course?

He said that as I was incorporating things that I learned I was changing my position behind the rifle. In short: the rifle wasn't zero'd precisely to begin with. My rifle hadn't changed, I had learned to use it better.

Really? OK. I Get home. I fold-up the AICS 2.0. I shoot one round resting the pistol grip on a rear bag, without using the stock, concentrating only on sight picture and clarity through the scope. Then I shoot another round, left-handed, still no stock and no cheek weld. Then another round, prone, properly using the stock. I wish I had kept that target to show you the group. It wasn't shot at 400 yards, but it proved the point to me.

Another way that Rifles Only is like an STD: it's the gift that keeps on giving.
laugh.gif

Lowlight,

How DARE you use and provide real world experience and accurate information on the internet, I think that's against the law!
smile.gif

All,

FACT: The bullet always goes in the direction the barrel is pointed.

The only thing to shooting is knowing where the barrel is pointed and maintaning that recognition until the bullet clears the bore.

Accept these two concepts and your shooter/target analysis will lead to you becoming a most extraordinary shooter.

Shooter consistency is the key. Be perfect and shots will go where aimed.

Sterling, you're all over the place, you said this earlier:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some here have stated that they can change position without any need to adjust sights. This implies that their body contact with the rifle in all positions is the same, but, that's very unlikely. It's more likely, the relative inexact precision required for a good hit on their target has not revealed the need for an adjustment of the sight. Shooting at something like the MR-31 target will bring recognition of the need to adjust sights with any change of the position, or positions.</div></div>

We just showed that differences in position don't change the sights of the scopes, what happens is shooters are not maintaining the proper eye relief and sight picture when moving from position to position. Aside from talk about cheek weld, and recoil, contact with the rifle and ground, etc...

As RG said, he shot his rifle with the stock folded focusing on the sight picture, and had the same results as I have been saying, that its the relationship to the scope that matters more, (although clearly, trigger errors will cause issue as I demonstrated) its not the recoil, its aiming, how you aim is key.

If you zero your rifle to your bad shooting and then move your position to another bad angle behind the scope, its not the recoil, its aiming, you're putting your sights off the target. Now recoil may help you blow the shot. But you can properly zero the rifle, and then use edge to edge clarity and focus to over come a bad position, the bullet will go where the sights are, providing your zero is right.

If I had a bunch of shadowing in that scope, I easily would have blown the shot, but all but the one were in the 10 ring of the Shoot N C and I clearly changed a bunch of stuff trying to be cavalier. The point is, if the rifle was properly zeroed, doesn't matter I have 20/400 vision in my right eye, or that I used my left eye, or that I moved to a bench, (A bench I couldn't even reach the ground on) it mattered I maintained the sight picture with edge to edge clarity, and I didn't push a bad shot because of my position. I could see if the reticle was drifting, so I didn't shoot until I was on.

Recoil had nothing to do with it, the fact its' a heavy ass AI AW had nothing to do with it, the fact my LOP is not even set up on that rifle had nothing to do with it, my aim through the scope did, as well as my initial zero. It's why we brought up a handgun... same thing.

People zero to trigger slaps, poor eye relief, inconsistent positions, then when they move in any other way, they change this stuff and magnify their errors...

We say it too, the Bullet Doesn't lie, it gives you 100% of the information you need to hit the target. However shooter's do lie, they lie about their trigger, they lie about the body position, they lie about their sight picture, follow through, and breathing... so if you zero the rifle to a lie you're never gonna hit the target unless you tell the same lie all the time, which is hard for many people.

Not doubting your abilities in your discipline, not by any stretch, but its a different animal when you move into this world, clearly. These are ACOG on a M4, these have a whole lot more to them than that.. plus we don't aim down the barrel, we aim down the sights, relationship to the same is key.

Put some glasses on. We won't see the squint, and when you manage to pierce a primer you'll be a lot happier with the result.

Also, this is the Internet. Truth has no place here!

Ya, I'm supposed to wear glasses and don't it was my bad for sure, but I get lazy on a Wednesday afternoon when I am just supposed to be out enjoying myself.
smile.gif
I opened it for the shot though.. I think the GEN II XR is a little fine for me at times.

The click of Death was admittedly bad, at least I didn't hide it.
smile.gif
I could have done the magical edit, but decided it was a learning experience that it can happen regardless of the system.

but points taken, and next time I will just remember, even though I am supposed to be just out having fun if I bother to turn the camera on, I should take the time to practice what I preach.

But on the plus side, 20 for 20 at 550, not bad in a 10MPH wind.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sterling, you're all over the place, you said this earlier:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some here have stated that they can change position without any need to adjust sights. This implies that their body contact with the rifle in all positions is the same, but, that's very unlikely. It's more likely, the relative inexact precision required for a good hit on their target has not revealed the need for an adjustment of the sight. Shooting at something like the MR-31 target will bring recognition of the need to adjust sights with any change of the position, or positions.</div></div>

We just showed that differences in position don't change the sights of the scopes, what happens is shooters are not maintaining the proper eye relief and sight picture when moving from position to position. Aside from talk about cheek weld, and recoil, contact with the rifle and ground, etc...

As RG said, he shot his rifle with the stock folded focusing on the sight picture, and had the same results as I have been saying, that its the relationship to the scope that matters more, (although clearly, trigger errors will cause issue as I demonstrated) its not the recoil, its aiming, how you aim is key.

If you zero your rifle to your bad shooting and then move your position to another bad angle behind the scope, its not the recoil, its aiming, you're putting your sights off the target. Now recoil may help you blow the shot. But you can properly zero the rifle, and then use edge to edge clarity and focus to over come a bad position, the bullet will go where the sights are, providing your zero is right.

If I had a bunch of shadowing in that scope, I easily would have blown the shot, but all but the one were in the 10 ring of the Shoot N C and I clearly changed a bunch of stuff trying to be cavalier. The point is, if the rifle was properly zeroed, doesn't matter I have 20/400 vision in my right eye, or that I used my left eye, or that I moved to a bench, (A bench I couldn't even reach the ground on) it mattered I maintained the sight picture with edge to edge clarity, and I didn't push a bad shot because of my position. I could see if the reticle was drifting, so I didn't shoot until I was on.

Recoil had nothing to do with it, the fact its' a heavy ass AI AW had nothing to do with it, the fact my LOP is not even set up on that rifle had nothing to do with it, my aim through the scope did, as well as my initial zero. It's why we brought up a handgun... same thing.

People zero to trigger slaps, poor eye relief, inconsistent positions, then when they move in any other way, they change this stuff and magnify their errors...

We say it too, the Bullet Doesn't lie, it gives you 100% of the information you need to hit the target. However shooter's do lie, they lie about their trigger, they lie about the body position, they lie about their sight picture, follow through, and breathing... so if you zero the rifle to a lie you're never gonna hit the target unless you tell the same lie all the time, which is hard for many people.

Not doubting your abilities in your discipline, not by any stretch, but its a different animal when you move into this world, clearly. These are ACOG on a M4, these have a whole lot more to them than that.. plus we don't aim down the barrel, we aim down the sights, relationship to the same is key. </div></div>

No, not all over the place-we've already done that, just getting to the heart of the matter. Be consistent and bullets will go where desired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, if your stock is set up for prone shooting, chances are you're gonna have an eye relief issue while shooting positional. Me, I have my stocks adjusted to be 1/2" shorter than it should be speficially to compensation for my eye relief when shooting from a position other than prone. I understand it will change where my head is, so my stock is set so I can maintain a full field of view regardless of my position. Its pretty simple really, and i got that little nugget from Terry Cross.</div></div>

LL, if you wouldn't mind answering a follow up question.

If I'm reading that correctly, your set your stock 1/2" shorter than optimal when in the prone position, and then when you go to kneeling/sitting/offhand it winds up being on?

I just wanted to clarify that because after dealing with rifles for years now that are way to short of LOP for a dude my size, I finally decided to get a custom stock with a spacer system. So, advice you have about setting up the stock in an optimal fashion would be most useful.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: natesfitness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Today I brought out my new Savage 10FP in 308 to play with the snipershide tactical targets at 100yards. I got my scope sighted in for 100 yards dead nuts right off the bench. I moved to shoot prone and I was 1-2 inches low on all my shots, I went back to the bench and again was dead on. I'm guessing it has something to do with my natural point of aim??? I'm shooting off a 6-9 Bipod and its a little high of the bench and a little low from a prone position (I didn't adjust the legs)

Why am I shooting low when I move to prone?

Thanks in advance. </div></div>

I shot the 10FP in .308 for a long time so I had to wonder if another variable entered into it. You said the rifle was new. Did you clean the bore at any time during this experiment?

Did you check the action bolts? Were they tight? I used to torque mine with an inch pound torque wrench before every match. Guaranteed, loose action bolts will turn that Savage into the rifle from Hell.

My AR-15 at 600 yards will shoot 5 minutes low with a clean barrel. After 4-5 rounds, it settles in to my regular zero. For sure, I foul a clean barrel before a 600 yard match! What was the condition of your bore?

I never found the Savage 10FP to be sensitive to minor changes in position, hold etc. Some rifles are VERY sensitive to those changes. The M1 Garand is the worst I've ever fired! I competed for several years with Garands and they drove me nuts! Tight sling, loose sling, left hand position, right hand position, cheek weld, it all made a huge difference in POI.

More forgiving rifles are the 1903A3 and the AR-15. I'd place the Savage in the slightly less than forgiving category but pretty easy to get along with.

Is your bipod installed correctly? Please make sure. Snicker....it has happened to all of us.

The bipod legs will roll on a smooth surface but won't do that on grass. That's a major factor in shooting from a bipod. Load the bipod for recoil before firing your shot but don't lay on the rifle stock.

Hope some of this helps! Good luck!

Flash