• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving from tumbling to ultrasonic ! suggestions?

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    I was tumbling and it worked well but would like to go to untrasonics say a 1.5 to 2.5 gallon unit .
    Any suggestions or warnings of what to NOT buy?
    Bill

Re: Moving from tumbling to ultrasonic ! suggestions?

Any particular reason for choosing ultrasonic?
    I think stainless steel rotary tumbling is the way forward,
    I'm in the process of making my own rotary tumbler at the minute for a project, I've tried ultrasonic cleaning and find it a pain in the ass only being able to do small batches (hornady ultrasonic sized machine)
    And also messing about changing the solution from vinegar, to clean water rinse etc etc.

I wish I'd spent the money on a stainless tumbler first time around!!

I agree go stainless. I need to make a larger tumbler though

I had a tumbler that I just sold it was the thumblers model "B" and found it to small . I did find some 6 gallon sealable barrels that I could buy and make my own using bearings rubber rollers and a 1hp electric motor.
    So your all thinking Tumbler????
    Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gfunkUK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any particular reason for choosing ultrasonic?
    I think stainless steel rotary tumbling is the way forward,
    I'm in the process of making my own rotary tumbler at the minute for a project, I've tried ultrasonic cleaning and find it a pain in the ass only being able to do small batches (hornady ultrasonic sized machine)
    And also messing about changing the solution from vinegar, to clean water rinse etc etc.

I wish I'd spent the money on a stainless tumbler first time around!! </div></div>

Around page 32 they talk about using a cement mixer. It seemed to work. I am possibly going to try this myself.

If you have to get your brass wet by going untrasonic, you just might as well go with SS media tumbling. The benefits are astounding. I went from dry to ultrasonic to SS media. I can't see myself ever wanting to switch back from SS media.

I use the Thumler's Model B. 5lbs SS media, a few good squirts of DAWN & a .40 case full of Lemishine in up too about 8 lbs of water. Its plenty for my volumes which isn't huge but I can do up too 100 .308 cases at a time, 200 .223 at a time..... I tumble for up to 3 hours. 2 hours work well. I go 3 usually to get all remaining little specs of crap out of primer pockets.

Results are spectacular.

I agree that the SS media in a Thumlers Model B is the way to go. Awesome results. I have heard nothing but a pita with Ultrasonic with marginal results.

Both ultrasonicand stainless work. My opinion is that stainless works but is overkill for most brass.

I use the same solution in both; tap water, lemishine, and dawn. Rinse with tap water, shake extra water out, and air dry.

Ultrasonic is about three hours to do multiple batches to do 500 rounds. Stainless is about three hours to do a batch of 250.

If the brass has been picked up wet (tarnish spots from rain and storing wet) or muddy (caked dried on heavy tarnish) stainless is the way to go.

I have done both SS tumbling and ultrasonic. The SS is the way to go IMHO. I agree that the Thumler's Tumbler is a bit small, but that can be fixed by buying/building a larger tumbler. I'd build one, as you'll be $$$ ahead.

I tried ultrasonic. Too much of a pain in the ass for me. Went back to tumbling. If I try wet cleaning again it will be SS.

Hm. Hi all,

I have questions similar to Bill Stoffels', so I'd like to ask them here, hoping I'm not threadjacking or anything.

I just picked up the Hornady Magnum ultrasonic cleaner at a really cheap price, thinking this was the way to go. I'd looked at SS for a long time, but a machinist friend of mine said ultrasonic was a better idea because SS media will end up hardening the brass over time, giving me fewer reloads. Was what he told me a buncha hooey?

Yours,

David

Don't do it!
    I don't see the benefits, especially having to dry your brass.
    I won't touch on ss media.

Just ONE suggestion: Don't.

Thanks, guys.

-David

I went from Corn Cob to ultrasonic with Citranox to SS media and the solution of Dawn & Lemishine. The reason to go SS media IMO is consitency. That is the name of the game, and SS media does the best job of getting everything about the cases the most clean--inside the case, primer pockets--everything. I have not noticed any work hardening with the brass, but I anneal about every fourth firing. The only negative I see ocassionally, is peening of the case mouths, but the extent of this I see is easily cleaned up with a few twists of the case chamfer tool.

I see a big improvement over even ultrasonic, especially the primer pockets. I felt if I was gonna get them 'wet' I'd prefer the best method, and that is SS. I actually would recommend it.

I use an ultrasonic and have tried a couple techniques. I like it. Below is my process.

About a 40 case of lemishine.
    A couple drops of dish soap.
    Tap water.

After I run the ultrasonic I pull the cases out and just roll them in a rag to get semi dry then I tumble. I use lizard bedding from the pet store (walnut I think) with a little bit of NuFinish every now and then. It does not take very long in the tumbler, just puts a little shine on the cases. I am happy with the results.

I tried some of the internet concoctions and ended up adding Borax and dishsoap to clean the brass in an ultrasonic.

Ultrasonic was too operator intensive for me. Messing with concoctions and drying brass were my main issues. Throwing the brass in the tumbler and walking away is more my speed.

My cleaning solution mixes 2 tablespoons of anhydrous (powdered) citric acid in 1 gallon of tap water, with a splash of dishwashing detergent (such as Dawn).

1. Fill the ultrasonic cleaner tank with tap water, to 1" below the maximum fill line.
    2. Fill a 600ml Pyrex or Kimax laboratory beaker about half-way with cleaning solution.
    3. Place the beaker in the tank and allow the cleaning solution to go through 3 or 4 8-minute cycles. This will remove the bubbles from the solution and enhance its cleaning ability.
    4. Place 25-30 de-primed cases in the beaker and run for 3 8-minute cycles.
    5. 1 8-minute bath using hot tap water.
    6. 1 8-minute bath using distilled water.
    7. Place cases (mouth up) in a loading block and permit to dry (air dry or hair blow dryer).

Works great for me.

I have great results using citranox in the ultrsonic, It comes in a concentrated solution from Alconox. I use it heated. lasts for quite a few batches, about 15 min / run,then rinse well and let dry. the pockets are clean and the brass oxidation is removed

<span style="font-style: italic">People say dont do it etc but why?</span>

The end results aren't worth the hassle or cost. My small handguns and some machine parts go into my US for cleaning but my fired cases go into my vib tumbler.

1. Surgically clean cases mean absolutely nothing unless you're going to use them in surgery. They will instantly return to where they were when the primer goes off so what's the point of doing "better" than a vib tumbler will do <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">much</span></span> easier?

2. Reloading grade US units are weak and can only clean a handuful of cases no matter how large the tank is. And they over heat the electronics so they have to be manually restarted several times for each small batch of cases they do. A general PITA compared to a common tumbler which sells for much less and will typically last longer.

3. US is a wet mess to fool with. And, after you're finished, you have to drain the tank and clean up where you worked. (I have the same view of wet tumbling with steel pins too.)

4. The 'finished' cases aren't finished, they have to be totally dried before use and that can easily take over night unless you fool with baking them in an oven. PITA time again.

On the other hand, I toss a few dozen or few hundred cases into a tumbler and turn it on, letting it run an hour or four or more with no further attention. When I get back or they look the way I want, I sift out the cases and in maybe 3-4 minutes they're ready to load.

But, other than that, there's not much difference.

<span style="font-style: italic">"..would like to go to untrasonics say a 1.5 to 2.5 gallon unit."</span>

Wonder if you've checked the cost of such a unit?

Remember that the size of the tank for any of them matters for how many cases you can put in and get wet but that's NOT how many cases you can really expect them to clean.

Hmmm, i do both. I leave the spent primer in and throw them in the tumbler for a couple hours just to shine the brass up. Then i do all my sizing/prep and put them in the US unit using plain ol Lyman US solution as directed for 6 minutes. Then i have a second US unit with distilled water that i throw then in for 3-5 minutes. Pull them out, dry overnight done. IMO, tumbling is more for cosmetic. The water is pretty grey in the ultrasonic unit after removing the tumbled brass. I also don't like the idea of punching the primers out before tumbling as the pockets tend to wear prematurely and they get plugged up with tumbling media win is just as much a pita as having to dry the brass.

"I also don't like the idea of punching the primers out before tumbling as the pockets tend to wear prematurely and they get plugged up with tumbling media win is just as much a pita as having to dry the brass."

Use a universal decapper, tumble and size, any media will be punched out and you're ready to load immediately. Use 20/40 grit media and it won't plug the holes anyway. I've never even heard of anyone 'wearing' primer pockets in a tumbler!