• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moving Targets - Dry Firing in Workshop or Rimfire, HELP!

Blazin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2008
Maryland
I lost beaucoup points this past year on movers and we are never shown where our hits are, so it difficult for me to diagnose what I'm doing wrong (pretty sure I'm not estimating target speed correctly, and yes, I've seen the recent threads here and am committing them to memory). Meanwhile others just get it, and cream me (yeah, you know who you are!). So I am determined to dry fire moving targets in the comfort of my shop this winter. Problem I am having is developing a video or animation. I searched YouTube for appropriate videos but came up empty handed. I tried developing a PowerPoint animation, and taught myself how, with the thought I could set it at different speeds and teach myself what a 2 versus a 3 mph target looks like, but even at the slowest speed setting it's way too fast to simulate say a 3 mph moving target at 300 yards. Does anyone have any ideas?

As an alternate thought: if there was some way I could cheaply shoot 22 LR movers in my backyard I'd do that, but I've killed many brain cells trying to figure that one out, don't forget I'm on a budget. I have 200 yards at my disposal.

I appreciate any outside the box thinking.

Most moving targets are typically set between 2 and 3 MPH. I find that the most common reasons for shooters missing moving targets is anticipation and focusing on the target. The shot needs to brake when you want it to - instantly. This causes many people to rush and be more aggressive on the trigger, leading to anticipation. It's hard to identify whether or not you are doing it because it occurs simultaneously with recoil, but definitely be conscious of it. I like to run a super lightweight trigger which definitely helps. Lastly, if you're staring at the target, it's much easier to break the shot during an inappropriate time. Focusing on the reticle with the target edge in the peripherals is ideal. You very well may be doing these well already! I'm just sharing what related issues I often see.

As far as building a close-up mover, I can't really help you out there! I would be interested in one myself.

Once you get the right lead number then it's just a question of timing the trigger break. I use the trap method so it's reposition, let the target come to me, break the shot, repeat. You could do that drill with a row of 4-5 stationary dots and a metronome app for your phone. You have to fire on the downbeat. The app might play a cycle of beep-boop-boop-boop and you could increase or decrease the tempo to where you could fire on every 4th "beep" and you have the remaining 3 tones to reposition for the next dot. Shoot with a 1.1 mil lead going one way, then the other lead going the other way. Mentally practice what you'd do if you started missing left or right due to wind.

But if you have 200 yards and a 22LR, a mover in your back yard sounds a lot more fun. Maybe some sort of motor/cable/pulley system with a hanging steel plate?