• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Moving to Alaska caliber/rifle selection

averageshooter

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2006
Helena MT
Hey all had a few questions. I am currently over in Kuwait but my wife and I plan on moving to the fairbanks area when I get out of here. The question I have is I have never hunted there and was trying to figure out what I should focus on buying rifle wise. Currently I do not have anything that is good enough. Had to sell my centerfire here recently so something needs to be purchased. I am looking for a do it all caliber. I know most people are using either the 30-06, 300wm, or 338wm. Not all but a good number and the ammo seems to be available there as well. I was thinking the 300 is a great all around round just by changing the load for the smallest to the largest game. It may not be the best for everything but it can do anything. The problem is I do not want to fall into the trap others do where larger is better. Looking for the info from people that know more about the area and the game. Will a .308 do the job or do you need to step up to the larger calibers? And if you do what are the suggestions?

Thanks for the help I am sure there are things I am not thinking of but thanks for any help.

Matt

Re: Moving to Alaska caliber/rifle selection

Eventually I would like to reload but that will be some time in the future. So for this let's assume no I will not be reloading.

As for the 45-70 I was going to get one of those anyway lol. Looking at the Marlin 1895sbl. But I did not think that would cover the possible ranges I would be able to shoot. Looking for a rifle out to 500-600 meters.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895SBL.asp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">45-70 </div></div>

+1

I live on Kodiak Island and use a 308 for for everything. It does great on deer, goats, caribou and black bear. I get to the mainland to hunt as well.

Not a brown bear caliber, but if you are after them you gun up.

A .22 and a shot gun will be good to have as well.

There are so many different hunting adventures up here its hard to really consider one rifle for me. I also chase small game and predators.

I vote 300 all around one gun. ammo available everywhere and large enough for all game in alaska. load it up and down the range of bullet weights. great alaska gun!

No experience with Alaska, but I wonder how a '94AE and a Vaquero chambered in .44MAg throwing 240gr solids or HP's might fare in wooded areas. I suspect ammo's going to be plentiful, and having ten in the tube of a levergun may be a useful option if one's vista gets hairy.

Cold weather breeds large game, the smaller ones tend to freeze to death because they don't carry enough body mass to maintain body heat. So I'd consider the .44mag to be at or around the lower limit of whallop needed to anchor such beasties.

Think moose and maybe having to argue ownership with a large brown bear. Me, I'd back off and let 'em take it, but they might not be so generous in return.

I wish Ugashik Bob would chime in here. He and his wife live off the land along Ugashik Lake.

Greg

I would think that any of the medium calibers would be fine for anything you'd hunt in Alaska, short of the big brown bears. I've never hunted Alaska so take that for what it's worth.... I'd prefer something in the 7mm family as my do-all gun and then step up to something in the 338 range for brown bear.

I would use a 45/70 for close range, and a 338RUM for long. 300Win should be a good for all around use, but I am not sure about it's 'in your face' defensive capabilities for Large animals.

The 3 most popular hunting cartridges up here have got to be the 30-06, 300WM, and 338WM. That said, there are a whole bunch more that will work just fine. Depends alot on what you want to hunt. Lots of animals have been taken with a plain old vanilla 30-06 over the last 100 or so years. The big belted magnums are great rounds, although hardly necessary. Yes I do own some large magnums myself. What can I say, they're kind of fun.

My heart is with a 338 06. easy to load, accuarte, load a 200 gr for deer, 250 for whatever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AREAONE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My heart is with a 338 06. easy to load, accuarte, load a 200 gr for deer, 250 for whatever.</div></div>

I've been wanting to build one of these for a while. it looks like a great round.

My brother lives in alaska. He has used every rifle under the sun, but loves his trusty 45-70 LA. Yeah most of the other rifles provide longer ranges, but where he hunts, bears are always present and he likes a quicker follow up shot and also a bullet that isn't going to pass right through. He has told me stories of guys shooting bears with a .300winmag 2-3 times to put it down. The one that charged my brother took a 405gr Solid lead round to the chest and it dropped in it's tracks. That's why I said 45-70. Then again, my brother also hunts for his primary food source, so he shoots animals as close as he can, long range is of no importance to him.

+1 on the .338-06. I Love mine. 250gr. Scenars on top of H-4350.

Just get a 338 WM and done with it. 4570 are ok but you would find more ammo in the bush then 45-70. Besides most configurations of 45-70 lend to shorter shooting range. Some times there is no way to cover that distance and a 200 yard shot is required.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will you have to deal with brown bear? </div></div>

Up here you always have to deal with them.

I think I'd be going with the .300 WM since you plan on both general and long range hunting on some big critters.

If you're really worried about bears close up, then how about adding a 12 gauge to your arsenal (if you don't have on already)? Everyone needs a sturdy 12 gauge pump in their arsenal anyway, so why not rely on that for the dirty work? Loaded with slugs and/or buckshot, it does all the damage a person could need and is intuitive for close range work. As much as I like the 45-70, I don't see it as being adequate for both short and long range hunting. Excellent choice if you're willing to sacrifice long-range capability though!

My firearm "basics" list is the same no matter where I am:

Accurate .22 LR rifle.
.30 Cal centerfire of some flavor.
12 gauge pump gun.

If I had to have just one (even in Alaska), it'd probably be the shotgun. Arguably ideal for only specific species, yet adequate for anything.

I'd say start with the very basics...and then save your pennies for the rifles that are tailored to specific applications. What caliber that ends up being is entirely up to you.

-The Kid.

338 WM. Be sure to check out the bullets Speer offers.

Thank you for all the information. Any other posts will be appreciated. Current plan subject to change of course is:
marlin 1895sbl 45-70
Savage .22lr - have
Remington 870 - have
Ruger super redhawk 454
Gap in either .338 or .300

That should cover most needs. Plus the wife has given the go ahead
smile.gif

Now the question is which gap will fit the bill. Gotta look at barrel length rifle weight etc. any suggestions?

Thanks
Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I live on Kodiak Island and use a 308 for for everything. It does great on deer, goats, caribou and black bear. I get to the mainland to hunt as well.

Not a brown bear caliber, but if you are after them you gun up.

A .22 and a shot gun will be good to have as well.

There are so many different hunting adventures up here its hard to really consider one rifle for me. I also chase small game and predators. </div></div>
I'm with Drifter. An accurate 308 will take care of any big game around other than dangerous game. Proper bullet selection is a good idea. 22 is a must, there is so much small game to be had. If you like bird hunting, you may want a shotgun. If you do decide to carry a rifle in big bear country, a 338wm on up is my suggestion. I have a 375 H&H that I hump around. Fairbanks area will get you oppertunities for Moose and caribou. No reason to need a supermag. They die easy with a hole through both lungs.

If .308 will do for most game with bullet selection, would you look at a bolt gun or an ar10 platform? As I have said I have never hunted alaska but I would think if you hunt with a .308 with potential bear run ins wouldn't the ar10 have an edge in defensive situations? Just thinking while typing. Obv if I were to go out for bear I would choose something bigger. Thoughts?

I run bolt guns. You should see my gear after hunting. There is grass and brush in every bit of it. Under grips, bipod springs are all fuzzy with grass and leaves, everywhere there's a corner has shit on and in it. I don't have much experience with semi autos but I don't think they would run good that dirty.
I feel that having an accurate 308, 30-06, etc. is better than having an heavy recoiling rifle that you never shoot. A hole in the head or spine is your only chance if one decides it wants to bite you. However, if I am going after a dangerous animal, I take the 375 with appropriate ammunition. Deer hunting, my 308 or 7mm-08.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TN to Kuwait to Fairbanks? Bundle up my friend! </div></div>

Yeah got 3 more years here then Alaska bound
smile.gif
. That is my other area I am researching. Camping equipment, hunting clothes, ruck sack etc. gotta buy all new stuff as tn hunting eq just will not work. Have no idea what to get to bring up there. Anyone got a recommended packing list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: averageshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for all the information. Any other posts will be appreciated. Current plan subject to change of course is:
marlin 1895sbl 45-70
Savage .22lr - have
Remington 870 - have
Ruger super redhawk 454
Gap in either .338 or .300

That should cover most needs. Plus the wife has given the go ahead
smile.gif

Now the question is which gap will fit the bill. Gotta look at barrel length rifle weight etc. any suggestions?

Thanks
Matt

</div></div>Spent 19 yrs on Kodiak,Guided on the south end, If I only had one rifle it would be a .300 it will do it all for big game.I had a marlin 45-70 nice bang aroundin bear country but the range is lacking I hunt in Oregon and Idaho now and still love my .300 Ive killed deer,elk,black bear and brown bear with it.Good luck to you!

I've hunted Alaska a bunch. It is a big state and there are many different opportunities. If I was hunting / living in SE AK, I'd get the lightest weight 308 I could afford. You can stomp the Blacktails and Black Bears and not have to pack a heavy rifle around. For the interior and coastal ranges a 300 or 338 would be tough to beat. You can always load them down for deer if you want to. Same goes for the 375H&H. One of these days I'm headed back up there. Love that place.

With a .300wm what is the shortest barrel length you can use? Would like one 20-22 inches so I can suppress it but still be able to shoot 200gr.

On the Marlin 45-70 purchase I would look for an older Marlin made prior to their purchase by Remington. The "Remlins" quality control has not been what it should. Pages of bad reviews over on their forums.

I am a guide/outfitter up here, you can not go wrong with a .338 win mag- I personally use a .375 H&H for just about every thing but Dall sheep. There are more .338's in the field up here than just about anything else for a reason. The all-weather Ruger 77 variants are pretty standard equipment.

What about a 444 marlin?,used one on a big boar in a lever action and wasvery impressed.the only issue is that it kicks too hard for me!

Good thread. I am putting in an application this week for a job in the arctic circle.

It appears some others may agree with me. I especially like the part where they say that the 20ga slug delivers approximately the same effect as a pair of 44mag bullets striking simultaneously. 380+gr exiting the muzzle at 1750fps from the lowly Rem 20ga 7/8oz Slugger.

Greg

I lived in Newfoundland and hunted Moose. You are going to want something bigger than a 30-06. Moose are bigger than horses. Plus, you have very large game of all sorts up there. A .300WM or 7mmRemMag are nice. Going big in Alaska isn't a bad idea. Of course, a slug gun works well too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cast Blast Cast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Montana 308.

Thank me later. </div></div>

Hello Larry....
grin.gif

In 3 years? Gives you time to plan

Are you PCS? If so, the move will be easier, if not and moving up on your own, takes a good amount of nuggets, planning and time to get here. Winter prep your rig there before leaving. Price starts around $8000 for a 2 bedroom house move, prob more now. Its about $2 per pound and that total weight not just household goods. MailBox etc or some company has a pallet flat rate, starting around $600 and then its $150 per 100# I think. You can take firearms including handguns through Canada but its easier to ship them.

Playing in Alaska is not cheap. Toys cost a fortune and most Alaskan's these days have to have toys. Then you have to have the money and the time to play with them. Many cheechakos arrive and go into deep dept trying to get all the toys they think they need. Especially the military. The lemon lot is full of just such toys so if you want toys, I would recommend starting there. Find someone who got extended with money or PCSing with a huge note and you can pick up toys quite cheap Vs new. Most of the time E3, E4, E5 buy a 4x4 with accessories to find out they cannot afford gas and money to go play, so they have to dump it and its like new.

I recommend to save up all the nuggets you would drop on toys and use it for bush flights, once you do the math, paying for a bush plane is cheaper than having the toys. Maybe not at first but paying on a note every month for the years Vs a one time drop and most bush flighters will reserve flights all year or even longer. Cost is about $800 per hour for 180, $1200 for a Beaver but more depending on the unit. If you can get there by wheeler so can 100 others from the city.

The credit union has a toy loan where you can lump all toys onto one note; 4x4rig, camper, trailer, etc.

Long range shots, while many confess to shoot them, according to AFG, the average shot taken by Alaskan hunters is 225 yards. And I agree.

Cartridge, according to AFG the 30.06 is used by 36% of all Alaskan hunters. Followed by 338win and 300win. I would recommend one of these 3 due to things happen in Alaska and if you are 75 miles in and dump your ammo (happens every year to the best of us) having one of the above cartridges is easier to find another hunter in a camp or a shop in a village that will have it. A 45.70 is OK for 15 and I hunted 15 a lot with 338 but for the interior, not a chance I would never invest in a 45.70 for hunting.

I would surmise that you will hunt bou and moose every year, sheep and goat who knows once you try it but every year into the mountains and to include moose / bou you may have difficulty with the time and money, that will cut down on just how much hunting you can do. Brownie once and blackie maybe a couple times unless you like the taste of spring blackies. Wolf I hope you tip quite a few over every year. This is not a walk to your stand for an hour a day to tip over a whitetail on the weekend, hunting is work and lots of effort for days.

Game is not behind every tree or behind every roll, it takes time and effort to hunt, they do not come to you you have to find them, baiting blackies is the exception. Do not think you will be alone in the wilderness of Alaska. Those days are long gone. Flying over Alaska the wheeler trails scar large sections of Alaska.

The terrain is very tuff and the weather is worse. Understand they are not forgiving and will chop you without hesitation. Every year, several times a year someone gets chopped. The weather is a killer. Mountain snow is called the white dragon for a reason and breathes its icy breath of death every year. Those of us who are into avalanche awareness programs cannot understand why backcountry users do not learn to read snowpack. We even offered free basic skills class and avy tools at cost, and had little participation.

Rifle, Tikka T3 Lite SS or the SL in what ever cartridge you prefer. Its light to tote and you will tote it. Not too expensive because it will get abused. Its a good light weight tool for Alaska. Top it with a 2-8x 50mm class scope, scope does not have to be the best you can afford but do not scrimp, it will take a beating and must be on zero after all the bashing it will take. If / when you leave, you can sell it real quick and not lose much money. Rugers were very popular 20+ years ago and still are to some extend but the 700 still reigns supreme as the most bought rifle in Alaska like the states too. Christensen, HS Pre, Kimber are quite popular with the mountain hunters but cost and if you can afford one superb but they do take a beating.

I am not a 300 fan, step up to a 338 for better ballistics if you can shoot one accurate. I toted a 340Wby in a light weight rifle for 30 years until I quite hunting mid 90s. 250gr Partition at 3000fps is a good hell bender, wanted a 338-378 but just never did. But then again, 7mm08 tip over 1200# moose every fall too. Moose are not the mythical energy and bullet absorber many report they are. A good designed bullet in the engine room and a moose will tip over, maybe not dead right there but they will tip over. Natives use 243 very often and I sold more 243 ammo to natives than all other cartridges combined. My cousin tipped over a Toklat grizz with a 22.250, it was about 650 on the foot around 75 yards, one shot but he did follow it up.

The WSM are or were becoming popular but their love is fading.

My 338 was topped with a Leupold Alaskan FXII 3x and did the job for 30+ years and was my #1 go to rifle, I had a VXII 3-9 on my 300Wby and 7mmRem mag, couple Bushnells in there too on 06 etc. Some use high power high dollar scopes as a trade off to spotting scopes but its just not the same in my book when glassing for hours days at a time.

I have seen broken rifle stocks and smashed scopes from falls during sheep / goat hunts just about every year. Scree is tuff, wet scree is worse, snow scree is just pure fun and with a pack on, tired legs, tired mind, it happens to best of us. Up north, its like walking on wet greased up bowling balls, its tuff and a mile can seem like 10. Many a hunters have started out thinking they can walk the tundra for miles for early season bou until they realize just how much fun walking can be.

SS does corrode, its not impervious to Alaskan.

Get as good a pair of binos as you can afford, your eyes will appreciate this.

Get as good a spotting scope as you can afford, your eyes will appreciate this.

Get the lightest tripod you can afford your legs will appreciate this.

Get good fitting high quality boots, more about the fit than the dollar. While I know a few sheep hunters who use running shoes, I did too, its not for everyone. Scree in Alaska will eat through cheap boots sometimes in a day or two, may last the whole hunt but they will get ate up. Until you ascend 3000 feet of scree up a mountain gully, you will not know why good boots are a must, and this is done every day for as long as you hunt. Plastic boots are very common with high angle sheep and goat hunters, they offer a platform for the feet and legs due to their rigid sole on steep terrain, protect the toes against bashing on scree all day. Plus they are very warm, can pull damp liners out in camp to dry, single leather boots can stamp damp the entire trip. Steam crossings, pull off boots and use sandals or water socks. Plastic boot shells are good too, pour the water out, install liner and down the trail you go.

Good hip waders.

3 good knives with a stone or steel, I like a folder, drop point and a detailer.

Med length axe, some like saws but axe is faster but a good bow saw can double in camp that is faster than as axe too, a trade off. Weight is a concern.

Learn to field dress as the animal lays, this is not TN deer. Many Alaskan hunters waste more time and effort trying to position a moose than to just dress it as it lays. Always always take the meat first. Do not learn this lesson.

50/50 wool synth socks, I use Bridgedale.
Patagonia Capilene mid / lgt wgt base layer.
Patagonia fleece mid layer.
Primaloft sweater, I use Integral Designs.
A super light nylon wind shell I use WildThings.
Softshell jacket and pants, I use Schoeller Dynamic.
Coated nylon rain jacket and pants, you wont use these much but good to have for skinning and then toss them, bear stinks and the smell will get into everything and hard to wash out.
Primaloft parka, I use ID Dolomitti and WildThings EP.
Cheap fleece gloves, camp use etc.
Intregral Designs Primaloft sleeping bag.
Black Diamond Firstlight tent.
ID SilShelter.
MSR stove, I use SuperFly with a hanging kit but the Exp will burn anything so get both.
Head lamp or two or three.
Light weight 3 section trekking poles.
12" piece of garden hose that your penis will fit into and an odd shaped water bottle, its for relieving at night, can stay wrapped up in your sleeping bag and inside the tent and pee, good especially in a mtn blow when its 0-15f outside, will save you from being cold all night.
Waxless short fat backcountry skis, I use Fischer.
3500 - 4000ci backpack, too many too list but I used WildThings Andinista. A freighter pack is good too for flat land.

Learn to make and eat Logan bread.
Learn to make your own freeze dried meals.
Take an avalanche course.
Learn to read and understand Alaskan weather, its not the same as anywhere else.
Learn the difference between blackies and brownies, its not the same when it comes to dealing with them in the backcountry nose to nose.
Learn to cross dark cold fast moving streams.
Learn the regs, do not think you know you must know and they can be confusing at best.
Please do not hunt Chicken.

12ga shotgun with 18.5" barrel, Rem #5077 #1 bear preferred stopper with slugs
454 Cas, 460sw or 500sw revolver, I like the 460
22 rifle
22 handgun
Rossi Trifeccta kept in your rigs; wheeler, plane, boat, etc with some ammo in a dry box. Throw some energy bars and fire starter etc in with the ammo.
Pepper spray

Bears in the interior, squarbanks are not that big, 600-850 on the foot. Learn the signs of bears in the area, camp raiders will let you know, some times the smell if you are acute to it. The terrain is open and easier to spot bears. Head to the southern coast and they get real big, the terrain is dead falls, head high grass and brush. Standing by the big ole booboo in the federal building, record book man attacker, you will understand just how much animal you may have to deal with. But, being afraid is not good either, just respect. Actually. moose are more dangerous in the backcountry than bears. I have been charged way many more times by moose than bears, moose charge and bears slither off, bluff, moose charge 100% of the time they decide to go. Pepper spray is best for unwanted curious bears. And yes I have been charged by a bear but most have been bluffs.

I was a guide and taught backcountry skills and survival for years in Alaska, need to know anything just ask. I do not know everything but at least I lived my life here and played most of it so I can help better than most. I made many mistakes, have seen many mistakes and investigated them or got the data afterward to understand what went wrong. I PCS out and then back. I helped many troops get here and civilians too.

Yep, I know a few isolated holes but sorry its a family secret. You will find this out real quick, once you find a hole you will keep it a secret or do your best too.

Good luck

I'm not even moving to Alaska and enjoyed reading your post, thanks for taking the time and effort to compose it!

Wow thank you so much for the information. I read through that once but plan on going back over that multiple times. Thank you for putting the time into that post.

I am not going to pcs just going to make the move. I am not a big toy guy. Hoping the Tahoe and the dakota 4 door both 4x4s and v8s will get it done. Will deffinetly have to figure out what is needed for the vehicles, chains, survival boxes and what should be in them. I will be looking into classes for survival as well. I know the places I have hunted are nothing compared to the conditions I will face there. However I do look forward to it. I want to make sure that I have the proper gear as well as the knowledge on how to use it. Any recommendations on classes or material that can assist in the preparation?
Thanks again to everyone.
Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: w-3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a guide/outfitter up here, you can not go wrong with a .338 win mag- I personally use a .375 H&H for just about every thing but Dall sheep. </div></div>

I thought I was going to be the first one to suggest .375 H&H. It's an excellent all around cartridge for anything in North America including big brown bears. I wouldn't be afraid to use it on Dall sheep out to 350 yards.

Winchester used to make an awesome pre-64 style M-70 in stainless. I used one with a 3x12 Steiner Penetrator scope. The 30 mm tube made all the difference in low light conditions which can be very common in Alaska.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Practice is the key of course.

Cheers,
Richard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: averageshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow thank you so much for the information. I read through that once but plan on going back over that multiple times. Thank you for putting the time into that post.

I am not going to pcs just going to make the move. I am not a big toy guy. Hoping the Tahoe and the dakota 4 door both 4x4s and v8s will get it done. Will deffinetly have to figure out what is needed for the vehicles, chains, survival boxes and what should be in them. I will be looking into classes for survival as well. I know the places I have hunted are nothing compared to the conditions I will face there. However I do look forward to it. I want to make sure that I have the proper gear as well as the knowledge on how to use it. Any recommendations on classes or material that can assist in the preparation?
Thanks again to everyone.
Matt </div></div>

Buy a Milepost.

Mountaineering Freedom of the Hills has loads so good basic information, Snow Sense is the #1 avalanche book in the country. The university runs outdoor based classes at a cost less than a guide. I instructed for awhile at UAA and the classes are good to get started but most of the students are young with no outdoor experience at all and most of them from outside. They take the course for an easy grade to boost their GPA and they admit it upfront and have no real interest in the backcoutry of Alaska. But the basic information is good. My course had classroom instruction 2 evenings a week and then out on the weekend to apply the lessons in the backcountry for hands on learning. I am thinking the course was $300. I haven't instructed there since 1999 and the students did not pay me.

Driving 2 rigs 4500 miles will cost a small fortune. Buy camping gear in Tenn, you will need it anyway and camp along the way to save lots of money. Hotel every third or so day to clean up. Gas along the highway is not cheap! Food along the highway is not cheap!

Driving the highway in winter is best but its dark and cold. The highway is no where near what it use to be but its a long way, services are spread out but not like the old days. Some of the frost heaves can swallow a small car! Exchange for Canadian money, while the bush will take it they give their exchange rate and its not good. I would take two spares, ties are better these days but....be extra careful pulling a trailer, we made the drive out many times and every trip we saw a trailer on its side in a ditch. Animals do stand and walk down the highway, always be alert and camera ready. Take your time. Drive up through the Parkway in Canada.

Rig prep: freeze plug heater, battery heater, oil pan heater, and I like a small space heater inside my rig sitting on a cookie sheet. I ran all the cords to the fender well, screwed on a 4 plug outlet box, plugged in the heaters cord into the box and then ran just one cord out the grill to plug in. I like a switched outlet too so I can turn them on and off, and not just plug them in and let them burn. A timer is good too. A temperate sensitive self starter, you set it and when the engine hits that setting the engine will start and run, then turn off. When its -52 they have been known to run your rig all night.

Buy an extra set of wheels, nothing fancy but they will pay for themselves with two change overs = one year. Do not buy into the alloy studs, pay the extra and get steel. 4x4 does little good for stopping, turning and help with control of your vehicle but many Alaskans think they do. My wifes front wheel drive van with steel studs got around better in the winter than my beefed up bronco with mud tires and no studs 4x4. Squarebanks does not get a load of snow but the roads can be icy from Oct - Apr.

Once again good luck and just ask

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome post. Should be a magazine article. </div></div>

+100!

now afew photos for you're viewing pleasure.

A ok size bull, takes with a 338 Lapua
DSCN0686.jpg

DSCN1398.jpg
A nice September day

DSCN1443.jpg
The Very next day!

DSCN1449.jpg
Weathered in for a week!

DSCN1456.jpg
Thank God, the bird Home!

DSCN0660.jpg
A small Bull out looking for girls!

338 Win Mag. The Winchester 70 Extreme Weather is great. Light weight, accurate (a relative statement), reliable.

What 45.308 said about not getting bogged down by toys made a lot of sense. Hunting toys are like gym memberships. After the novelty wears off, they usually see little use. There's a lot of horse sense in that post.

45.308... how do you freeze dry your own food?

Great post!

Myself I think the most balanced (all around) hunting round is the 340Wby.
Faster and easier to please (accuracy wise) than the 338Win, but not so much recoil it hurts. The 225gr TTSX at 3000fps is a force to be reckoned with.
That said I would not live north without a 30-06...I always have it with as a backup and it gets used often.
375 components would be ugly expensive in Alaska!

The 45/70 is great up close, but in the open it is useless.

Scopes,
This ain't no place for Bushnell.
Weather conditions will find weakness in all but the best scopes. Leupold builds what you need and they stand behind their product. Other than Nightforce I will not put anything else on my hunting rifles.

Boots, Gortex, and binoculars.
Buy the best you can afford on all fronts.

Peace

30-06 for EVERYTHING if you reload, my family has taken anywhere from deer to coastal brownies and cape buffalo. My great grand father says a 200-220 gr nosler partition with do the trick or you could try woodleigh fmj- and ppsns

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seabass1858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30-06 for EVERYTHING if you reload, my family has taken anywhere from deer to coastal brownies and cape buffalo. My great grand father says a 200-220 gr nosler partition with do the trick or you could try woodleigh fmj- and ppsns </div></div>

Good Luck on finding a guide that would let you anywhere near a Brown Bear or a PH that would let you even look at a Cape, with a 3006. Can you kill a Cape or a Brown with your said cartridge? Yes, yes you can. Is the chance you going into the Alders looking for a wounded Brown very much higher? Yes! Use the right tool for the job. To be honest, you sound alot like a guy that worked at Sportsman up here, give out absurd advice afew years back. Please don't help getting a member hurt or in a situation that could get him hurt. *RANT OVER*