• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Moving to Chesapeake/VA Beach area

Brosome

Machinist
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Took a job at Norfolk Naval Shipyard and relocating pretty soon, hopefully finding a place around Chesapeake. Where do you long-range folks down in that area go shoot? Frontline Defense looks really nice, is it worth the 2+ hour drive?

I recently moved away from the HR area. Frontline is where I shot at '15-'16, and is certainly worth the drive as it's the only place inside four hours where you can shoot to 1k. If you go there during the week, you will often have the entire range to yourself. You will need to prove yourself competent to use the 1k yd range, the owner doesn't let just any schmuck on there that thinks "I just aim a good ways higher with my 30-30" to shoot at a grand, if you can dial or accurately hold off to hit that far, you will be fine.

They made a lot of improvements to the range since I stopped going there, I was neck deep in college classes and went back to working overseas so I let my membership lapse. I regretted that as it's a great range and is better than 90% of ranges east of the Mississippi, only Woody's or Peacemaker in the region are better but in my opinion exceed the acceptable day's out, shoot and back drive requirement. If you're a vet, you will get a discount.

Reactions: aljones_315
Thanks for the reply, I mostly shoot at Peacemaker now, Frontline looked similar but less spread out. I do like the sound of being able to actually use a 1000 yard range instead of it just being open on Wednesdays when I'm stuck at work and 500 yards on the weekend, unless theres a match going on. I've heard they run some pretty fun long range matches down there too.

Yea frontline is probably closest to you. Paul is a good guy and is constantly dumping money into improvements. Currently hes got pistol pits (steel and paper) 25-100yrd paper range, 300yrd rimfire steel range, 500yrd steel deck range open to public on sat/sunday only. Range members also get 1000yrd unknown prs range and 1000yrd steel deck range to qualified members only any day of the week.

All shooting areas are covered except the 1000yrd unknown.

Hes just about done building his conditioned club house that he teaches out of, will have a small kitchen for members, pool table and a pro shop inside. After that its legit bathrooms and covered shooting huts for his stages at matches.

Hes got the big NRL match coming up june 1-3 you can either come shoot or spectate. I drive 1.5hrs about twice a month...certainly worth it.

Feel free to reach out bud.

Reactions: Brosome