• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Moving to Denver area. Looking for ranges and matches

DAVID1989

Minuteman
Sep 22, 2017
Calhan, Colorado
So I'm moving from SC to Colorado in a month and a half or so, around May 20th. Will be working in Aurora so I'll be somewhere within 30 min of there. I've done some research and found a couple places. Plus I've heard about some of the matches from Frank's podcast. So any tips on ranges for long range? One better than the other type of deal? Also trying to figure out the whole shooting on public land deal, particularly the BLM stuff. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Lived in SC my whole life and only been west of Georgia once and that was a trip to Colorado so I'm excited to shoot some real long range and learn how to shoot in wind.
Thanks guys

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
CRC is good to go. One of my favorite places to shoot in the Denver area.

There ain't any BLM near Aurora.......
Yeah I know it's more into the mountains for BLM but meant public land in general. I've read where other guys shoot on public land and was curious as to the laws. As soon as I get out there I plan on talking to a game warden anyways just to verify everything.

There a match every weekend and 2 rimfire matches

1st weekend - Plan on going to Raton NM to the Whittington Center (3 hr ish dr). By far my favorite match ever. Fun and easy going people.
http://sportingriflematch.com/

Also in RIfle, CO there is a great little match. also 3 hrs. beautiful country and fun match stages

2nd weekend - CRC Rimfire match - great time shooting targets from 35-200 yds
Also CO springs has a rifle range match that's part of the PRS CLub match. look it up there I cant find a link

3rd weekend - fun little belly match and they just implemented some barricades.
https://www.ar-15.co/threads/143351-Pueblo-Precision-Field-Rifle-Match

they also have a rimfire match same weekend usually. that's a great time. targets out to 300 iirc

4th weekend - CRC RIfle belly match targets from 220-550 yards. great time to test loads, get screwed by wind, meet people and have a great time.

Good luck hope to see ya out there.

DT

There a match every weekend and 2 rimfire matches

1st weekend - Plan on going to Raton NM to the Whittington Center (3 hr ish dr). By far my favorite match ever. Fun and easy going people.
http://sportingriflematch.com/

Also in RIfle, CO there is a great little match. also 3 hrs. beautiful country and fun match stages

2nd weekend - CRC Rimfire match - great time shooting targets from 35-200 yds
Also CO springs has a rifle range match that's part of the PRS CLub match. look it up there I cant find a link

3rd weekend - fun little belly match and they just implemented some barricades.
https://www.ar-15.co/threads/143351-Pueblo-Precision-Field-Rifle-Match

they also have a rimfire match same weekend usually. that's a great time. targets out to 300 iirc

4th weekend - CRC RIfle belly match targets from 220-550 yards. great time to test loads, get screwed by wind, meet people and have a great time.

Good luck hope to see ya out there.

DT
Thank you! I'll definitely check out the Whittington center match. Been wanting to go there for years lol like Disneyland for adults

CRC is good to go. Shot some service rifle out there and the only thing that kept me from joining was the drive from aurora/centennial.

I used to be a member at CRC great place. The 22 steel dog match is great. Become a member there and you'll meet lots of good people with a lot of knowledge. Pawnee has the Bakers draw public range that can get busy and is far but there is a few spots around bakers draw where you can get to 600-maybe 1000 yards just make sure it's legal using Google maps to see what's national grassland and what's not. Pawnee sportsmens center has steel from 400-1000. There is also national Forrest up in the mountains. Search around the Internet for awhile and you'll find what your looking for. What kind of shooting are you looking to do distance wise? I was born in Co but am in Ohio unfortunately taking care of family. Feel free to PM me if you want to give me a call.
a

There is another range down by Colorado Springs with 1000y I think but the name escapes me at the moment.

I used to be a member at CRC great place. The 22 steel dog match is great. Become a member there and you'll meet lots of good people with a lot of knowledge. Pawnee has the Bakers draw public range that can get busy and is far but there is a few spots around bakers draw where you can get to 600-maybe 1000 yards just make sure it's legal using Google maps to see what's national grassland and what's not. Pawnee sportsmens center has steel from 400-1000. There is also national Forrest up in the mountains. Search around the Internet for awhile and you'll find what your looking for. What kind of shooting are you looking to do distance wise? I was born in Co but am in Ohio unfortunately taking care of family. Feel free to PM me if you want to give me a call.
a
Yeah crc seems to be priced pretty well too. Definitely considering them. I heard of one in Colorado springs called Cheyenne mountain something. Just want to find something close if possible. Shoot mostly prs type stuff. No f-class or anything.

Yeah crc seems to be priced pretty well too. Definitely considering them. I heard of one in Colorado springs called Cheyenne mountain something. Just want to find something close if possible. Shoot mostly prs type stuff. No f-class or anything.
Crc is definitely worth the membership. It's rarely busy unless there's a match. There's a metallic silloute range with berms from 50m out to 500m with some steel gongs and you can bring your own steel, the 1000 range has an f class like trap I think and on certain days they move the firing line to 600y, also some good 25 and 50y pistol ranges, rifle range with 100 and 200 yards, and another 100y range and 200y range. Lots of pavilions all throughout a dry river bed with clay throwers also. It shouldn't be too bad of a drive if you go east on i70. To shoot long range your gonna have to drive that's just how it is unless you know someone with land. Cheyenne is the one I was thinking of, heard good things but never been there myself. Look into the boulder county shooting project, they're looking at building a public range in the foothills. They've closed a bunch of good spots because of idiots doing dumb stuff and want to build 1 to consolidate everyone in one spot. They have city council meetings taking input and we need every voice we can get. There's also the Boulder rifle club that have some public days but only 200y and I've been on their membership waiting list for a good 10 years lol.

I can't help you with the Denver area, but some weekend, take an overnight trip South and check out Whittington Center in Raton, NM.

I think you'll like it and return many times. Research the facility and its events. It's world class.

Greg

Crc is definitely worth the membership. It's rarely busy unless there's a match. There's a metallic silloute range with berms from 50m out to 500m with some steel gongs and you can bring your own steel, the 1000 range has an f class like trap I think and on certain days they move the firing line to 600y, also some good 25 and 50y pistol ranges, rifle range with 100 and 200 yards, and another 100y range and 200y range. Lots of pavilions all throughout a dry river bed with clay throwers also. It shouldn't be too bad of a drive if you go east on i70. To shoot long range your gonna have to drive that's just how it is unless you know someone with land. Cheyenne is the one I was thinking of, heard good things but never been there myself. Look into the boulder county shooting project, they're looking at building a public range in the foothills. They've closed a bunch of good spots because of idiots doing dumb stuff and want to build 1 to consolidate everyone in one spot. They have city council meetings taking input and we need every voice we can get. There's also the Boulder rifle club that have some public days but only 200y and I've been on their membership waiting list for a good 10 years lol.
Sounds like crc it is lol
I can't help you with the Denver area, but some weekend, take an overnight trip South and check out Whittington Center in Raton, NM.

I think you'll like it and return many times. Research the facility and its events. It's world class.

Greg
Oh I've already let the wife know we'd be going there! That's been on the list for a long time.

CRC is best bang for buck at $65/yr. Multiple ranges, 550yd steel range, 1000yd HP range. Golden gun club is closer but it's about $250/yr +$100 if you don't do the work bond. GGC goes to 550yds.

GGC is 20 minutes from my door, CRC is closer to an hour. I'm in NE Centennial.

CRC is best bang for buck at $65/yr. Multiple ranges, 550yd steel range, 1000yd HP range. Golden gun club is closer but it's about $250/yr +$100 if you don't do the work bond. GGC goes to 550yds.

GGC is 20 minutes from my door, CRC is closer to an hour. I'm in NE Centennial.
Sorry for the late reply, was out of town. Usually for me it’s a little over an hour away. I’m almost to the point of joining there despite the drive.
Ggc may be an option as well since it's closer. Sucks it only goes out to 500. But at least there's a couple different ranges within an hour to choose from. I have to drive almost an hour now to shoot so I'm used to that.

Boulder will probably have some openings on their ten year waiting list soon with their new initiation fee : https://www.boulderrifleclub.com/member.html
Note that the recent dues increase for 2018 includes an increase in the initiation fee for new members from $100 to $1000.

I use the Colorado Rifle Club in byers, but most matches at most ranges are open to the public for the day.

Reactions: jLorenzo
I'm also new here to Denver and the forum. Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just jump in this one.

It's been a few years and need to knock the rust off of me. My .308 hasn't made a gong ring in a while, but she's hungry for some 175g SMK meals!

Do any of the Denver area members have a meetup group?

Go out to Pawnee Sportsman's center and join Colorado Rifle Club. Beat way to get started. I'm stuck out in Ohio for awhile taking care of family business but would be open to meeting up when I get back.

Reactions: Jasonlikes2shoot
Both of those ranges look great and have everything I'd want at this point. They're both about the same distance from my house - give or take 15 min.

jLorenzo - let me know when you're back in town and want to meet up.
It's funny because it's the same case for me, Pawnee or CRC are almost the exact same distance. About an hour and change. I'm just north of Boulder. I will let you know. I need to renew my CRC membership when I get back.

You can also shoot most of the Matches at CRC without being a member, but at 100$ a year it's worth it. The .22 steel dogs match is great, steel Prarie dog targets from 35-200y. Great fun. Cy Soto runs the match every sat or Sunday once a month.

Under $100 is a great membership rate! It reminds me of this range I used to go to back in New Braunfels. It was off the beaten path on a family's land and, for the most part, shooter run. We'd call cease fires and address any safety issues ourselves so everybody could enjoy shooting (and living).

I don't think I've taken my .22lr past 100y, but those dog matches sound great! I'd love to get out there for those jLorenzo!

Crc is also basically shooter run. Whoever is first on the range is the RO but everyone there mostly has their shirts together and it goes very smoothley.

That's the type of range I enjoy the most and where you find the best people - for the most part. As long as there aren't idiots that have poor range and safety etiquette, it sounds like the ideal range for me. Can't wait to get out there!

The type of range I enjoy most and where I find NO people, and no idiots, is the one I set up on the ranch I work on. It only has steel to 700, tho....

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Views like that make me wish I was a ranch hand. That'd be sweet to have access to somebody else's land like you, but I'm happy interacting with other shooters and making friends at ranges. Are you allowed to change the targets to challenge yourself?

I leave the gongs stationary and move to different positions/ranges to switch stuff up. I can get the 700 yarder to just under 1000 from the hill behind the trap deck. or 850 from my porch...

I haven’t shot with anyone from here yet. I’ve only been out for some trigger time with a coworker and a guy from another forum but I’m always up for range days with new people.

I've been nailing down some work and should have some dinero to start shooting soon. One of my jobs will take me to Fort Collins at least 2 or 3 days each week. I'll post the days/times and ranges where I'll be shooting. Anybody from the Hide will be welcome to join.

I'm further south than Denver, so I spend most of my time at Cheyenne Mountain Shooting Complex in the Springs, or Pueblo West Sportsman's Association, where I'm a member. Cheyenne Mountain is located west of I-25 at exit 132. Take the exit for Ft. Carson and turn left about 500' away from the gate. It's run by Ft. Carson and the El Paso County Sheriff's Office, so you'll only get on Range 1 on the weekends, since that's EPSO's primary range. Range 1 has target stands at 25, 50, 100, 200, and 300 yards, then there's steel targets at 500, 675, 800ish, and 1080 (don't hold me to those yardages). We shoot PRS club matches the second Saturday of every month. If you go during the week to shoot your rifle, you'll likely end up on range 3, which has target stands out to 300 yards and a few steel targets on the hill out to 420ish.

Pueblo West has a few rifle ranges, like 100 yards, 100 meters, 200 yards with a target hanger at 100 yards, 300 yards, 425, and 600 (it's actually 618 from the bench to the steel targets). Good thing is in all the time I've spent at the 600 yard range, aside from one time, I've been by myself. Downside is we're limited to 600 and if you're not a member, you have to find a member who will take you in as their guest. We do have a monthly rifle match at the 300 yard range on the third Saturday. You have 4 stages; prone, off a pack or bag from the bench with no rear support, off tripod/sticks, and the position of the day, which is usually a barricade of some sort. @Hoser runs the matches, so if you're interested, hit him up

Last edited:
welcome to Colorado David, i was born and raised here in Colorado, but i too just moved back from living in Charleston SC, was there for three years. i know your probably thinking people aren't too friendly out here . its not that so much , its there just isn't anywhere like Charleston when it comes to friendly decent people. Great place! Hope you found a place shoot out here. i'm currently using CRC.

I'll get this thread re-booted as I just moved to Colorado (from Maryland) this week. Currently living in Golden and will be working in Denver. I am mainly a PRS shooter, but also enjoy pistols and ARs. So, it seems that the best bet is the CRC for long range and positional practice (looks like it will be about a 90 minute drive for me, but I'm used to that - unless there's a range closer to me?). Can members setup their own steel? Bison Tactical has some info on local PRS club matches which I'll check out - and I'll check the official PRS calendar for 2-day matches within driving distance. Any good ranges (or better yet, private clubs - I do not respond well to morons who do not follow basic safety principles and I end up being "that guy" who reprimands people (and I don't care, it's for the greater good) - I generally try to sniff out the clubs where members know what they're doing) with pistol/3-gun bays? I'd like to find a spot where I can setup steel to shoot pistols and ARs within 25yds. What's the story with shooting on public land? This is a foreign concept on the East Coast. Educate me...

Also, would love to meet some like-minded shooters if anyone wants to meet up to send some copper.

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to meeting some of you!