• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Moving to NY...

beretta_man11

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
MS
Hey guys-
I'm moving from CO/WY this week out to Niagara, NY. I'm sure it will be a huge culture shock from shooting where/when I want...
I'd like to get with some fellow hiders for info on shooting/hunting oportunities within an hour from Niagara. Any help would be most appreciated.
Also- Is NY a 50BMG friendly state? I'm hearing I can't take a few of my pistols due to the fact they hold 10+ rnds. (gay...)
Thanks in advance!
Matt

Re: Moving to NY...

Im not sure about the .50 Cal BMG. using a rifle to hunt varies from county to county. As far as your pistols go, I would give NY State police a call and get the run down. Last I knew a citizen needed a pistol permit for any pistol he owned, with the exception of black powder. If you fired the black powder you then need the permit. Each pistol has to be recorded with the sheriff in the county you live in. I would definately call and find out. NY is tough with pistols. I left many years ago because of this. Things may have changed since my departure. Feel free to let me know if I am wrong. I would love to do some shooting with my family that still lives there.

Think it's still as S.W.A.T. Gunner says. I have family still trapped there and hand guns are registered to you pistol permit that can take quite a while to get and you may get turned down for little stuff.Good luck. Upstate is better than L.I. where I'm from and it is pretty country up that way, but it's still N.Y. I miss N.Y. 0% of the time.

Why in the world would you leave CO for NY?? Hard to even consider that one...

DK

Don't bring your handguns into the state until your pistol permit application has been processed (currently around 9 month waiting time for my county). Once your permit is processed you will need to register each gun on your permit. The CCW permit is all part of the same process. You also will not be granted a pistol permit until you are a resident of the state (bring utility bills with you when you apply). The application fee varies by county. I believe I paid around $200 for mine (including fingerprinting, etc.). Your permit is NOT valid in NYC. Yes, you have a NYS pistol permit but you will be breaking state law should you choose to bring a pistol with you to NYC. Get used to it. NYC gets special treatment on everything (you can't even buy a long gun in NYC without a permit).

Other laws to keep in mind:
1) No magazines greater than 10 rounds (unless pre-ban). You cannot hunt with a magazine with more than a 5 round capacity.
2) NYS has an AWB. If your semi-automatic rifle has a pistol grip and the ability to accept high-capacity magazines then you can't have any other "fun" stuff on it (bayonet lug, flash hider, folding or telescoping stock, threaded barrels, etc).
3) If you plan on hunting while here you should be aware most of the counties around Niagara are bow , muzzle-loader, and shotgun only. You will have to drive south or east if you plan on using a rifle. For me, I have to drive an hour east to get into rifle territory and I'm an hour and a half east of you already.
4) NFA restricted items are strictly prohibited. Leave your silencers and machine guns at home.
5) NY has a duty to retreat law. While there is a limited castle doctrine in the home, in any public location if you draw and shoot someone--regardless of whether your life is in danger--you will be charged with manslaughter if the DA can prove that you had the ability to extricate yourself from the situation and chose instead to engage.
6) There is no open carry. Period.
7) If you are carrying concealed with a permit and are pulled over and you inform the police officer that you have a handgun (which you should) expect to be treated like a criminal regardless of the fact you were within the confines of the law.
8) Gun shows tend to suck in NY. The Rochester Gun Show is probably your best bet.
9) There is a good chance you will be the only person on your street with a firearm at your house. I'm not sure what the NYS gun ownership rate is but in NYC, Buffalo, Rochester, and Albany it is incredibly low.
10) Local ordinances can supersede state laws. This is because NYC doesn't like listening to the rest of the state. Therefore, you will need to become familiar with the carry laws for each county that you wish to carry in. Most of Western NY is uniform, however, so it isn't as bad as it sounds.
11) There is no waiting period for long gun purchases nor is there a limit on how many you can purchase at once (we finally got something right).

All that being said, welcome to NY. If you want to get an idea of how bad the laws are in NY, I'm now stationed in CA at Camp Pendleton (although presently deployed to Afghanistan) and I can walk into any gun store in CA and purchase a handgun (minus the 10-day waiting period). It took me until 10 months after I turned 21 to be able to legally own or purchase a handgun in NY... It's sad when the People's Republic of Kalifornia beats out NY.

One more thing, .50BMG is legal in NY but you'll have trouble finding a place to shoot it. If you get really desperate shoot me a pm in a few months when I'm back home (i'm not reenlisting) and I can probably get permission for you to shoot on my grandfather's farm outside Buffalo.The maximum range there is only 350-400 yards though.

Interestingly, if I'm not mistaken, you can legally hunt deer with a .50BMG in NY (in counties which permit rifle hunting) since the law states centerfire rifles are permitted without caliber restrictions. Speaking of restrictions, if you bowhunt, I believe the minimum legal draw weight for deer is 35lbs. I believe for all hunting the minimum "projectile" size is .17. I would have to look that last part up to be certain however.

wow- Thanks for all the info guys.

I wish I didn't have to go to NY but the boss called and said he needs me out there for 12-18mo.

I guess I'll leave all the pistols at home...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JupiterGroup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't bring your handguns into the state until your pistol permit application has been processed (currently around 9 month waiting time for my county). Once your permit is processed you will need to register each gun on your permit. The CCW permit is all part of the same process. You also will not be granted a pistol permit until you are a resident of the state (bring utility bills with you when you apply). The application fee varies by county. I believe I paid around $200 for mine (including fingerprinting, etc.). Your permit is NOT valid in NYC. Yes, you have a NYS pistol permit but you will be breaking state law should you choose to bring a pistol with you to NYC. Get used to it. NYC gets special treatment on everything (you can't even buy a long gun in NYC without a permit).

Other laws to keep in mind:
1) No magazines greater than 10 rounds (unless pre-ban). You cannot hunt with a magazine with more than a 5 round capacity.
2) NYS has an AWB. If your semi-automatic rifle has a pistol grip and the ability to accept high-capacity magazines then you can't have any other "fun" stuff on it (bayonet lug, flash hider, folding or telescoping stock, threaded barrels, etc).
3) If you plan on hunting while here you should be aware most of the counties around Niagara are bow , muzzle-loader, and shotgun only. You will have to drive south or east if you plan on using a rifle. For me, I have to drive an hour east to get into rifle territory and I'm an hour and a half east of you already.
4) NFA restricted items are strictly prohibited. Leave your silencers and machine guns at home.
5) NY has a duty to retreat law. While there is a limited castle doctrine in the home, in any public location if you draw and shoot someone--regardless of whether your life is in danger--you will be charged with manslaughter if the DA can prove that you had the ability to extricate yourself from the situation and chose instead to engage.
6) There is no open carry. Period.
7) If you are carrying concealed with a permit and are pulled over and you inform the police officer that you have a handgun (which you should) expect to be treated like a criminal regardless of the fact you were within the confines of the law.
8) Gun shows tend to suck in NY. The Rochester Gun Show is probably your best bet.
9) There is a good chance you will be the only person on your street with a firearm at your house. I'm not sure what the NYS gun ownership rate is but in NYC, Buffalo, Rochester, and Albany it is incredibly low.
10) Local ordinances can supersede state laws. This is because NYC doesn't like listening to the rest of the state. Therefore, you will need to become familiar with the carry laws for each county that you wish to carry in. Most of Western NY is uniform, however, so it isn't as bad as it sounds.
11) There is no waiting period for long gun purchases nor is there a limit on how many you can purchase at once (we finally got something right).

All that being said, welcome to NY. If you want to get an idea of how bad the laws are in NY, I'm now stationed in CA at Camp Pendleton (although presently deployed to Afghanistan) and I can walk into any gun store in CA and purchase a handgun (minus the 10-day waiting period). It took me until 10 months after I turned 21 to be able to legally own or purchase a handgun in NY... It's sad when the People's Republic of Kalifornia beats out NY. </div></div>

Holy shit that all blows... I thought CA was bad...

It would take ALOT of cash to get me there.
A whole hell of a lot.
The price of freedom doesn't come cheap for me.
Good Luck anyway!

I got out of NY (westchester) when I enlisted, and realized how much it sucked in NY. I haven't been back since, and don't plan on ever going back, except for family stuff...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy shit that all blows... I thought CA was bad... </div></div>

You wouldn't believe it until you've lived it.

No collapsible stocks, no flash suppressor but muzzle brakes are ok, no "hi-capacity" mags or firearms, no suppressors.

Just about NO to everything you can imagine.

Pistol Permits are running 6 months on average, and Albany has ONE woman handling the permits for all 62 Counties.

Beretta man should leave his pistols home, taking them with him to NY w/o a Permit is HUGE disaster just waiting to happen.

If you want to shoot XLR, you'd better buy 200 acres, or planning on driving a LONG way to shoot it.

There's a good reason why so many of us back East shoot .308

There is a 50 bmg friendly range in rochester about 45 mins from buffalo but only a 200 yd max range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JupiterGroup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
5) NY has a duty to retreat law. While there is a limited castle doctrine in the home, in any public location if you draw and shoot someone--regardless of whether your life is in danger--you will be charged with manslaughter if the DA can prove that you had the ability to extricate yourself from the situation and chose instead to engage.</div></div>

When did this come about?