• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision MP5 - IR laser setup?

SkyScrapin

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Dallas, TX
strictlyoffensivekit.com
I’m pot committed to the MP5 at this point and I’m looking to see what options are available for IR laser mounting. the weak link seems to be the forend... wonder what the best option is short of scratching the project and getting an AR 9mm.

I ordered a Steiner TOR Mini IR from TNVC.Also have a Mawl and Peq as additional options.

What are the best mounting options for any of these 3? Should I be looking at another laser?

Maybe pass up the laser for a passive aiming option??

Reactions: Eliteuas
I have the B&T tri-rail for my SP5K's. I use the Surefire X400V combo light/laser. Works very well.

No way a MAWL will work (I've tried. It doesn't even fit -- anywhere).

I use the KAC rail and an old PEQ-14
D4959B5E-0846-4885-A4A3-916236D9E338.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hogrider2000
I use several rail systems for a host of HK gear from my ciivy collection. Besides KAC, I really like the CADEX MP5 RAS along with B&T. The B&T stuff always seems to be a bit oversize, I mean built like a tank, but just a tad too large on their profile sizes IMHO.

Present day, I have 3 systems actually on Form 4's. 1 MP5K (S&H Sear from SP89 build) and two MP5SD (Flemming Sears/RDTS Builds from HK 94 platforms). RDTS (Ralph) does some of the best SD barrel porting out there that exceeds the German original design. One of the SD's will stay old school factory with fixed A2 buffered buttstock and the other SD will be tricked out with a RDS, rails light and laser so have many months to decide what I'm going with.

Mlok rail? Idk if the handguard connection point is causing you problems with return to zero or you just need a rail to mount one too
2099FA99-99A6-4CA3-8B9C-7AF0D5BA4DD1.jpeg

What dot is on that bad boy?
Just a plain ol adjustable RMR. Works great, battery lasts forever. Busted my first part on the Pakistani build a couple weeks back, the roller retainer plate snapped in two. Otherwise been a fantastic little blaster at a great price over the past 6yr or so. Now there’s a bunch more affordable options on the market which is awesome.

Like jwramp I also use PEQ-14 but with a QC5.

Not that you will ever find one but if you can find an old Laser Devices MP5 cocking tube IR laser. As I recall Steiner made some but discontinued it.

Now which one of you knows where a guy can get a reasonably priced MP5?

I have seen them from 17k-44k.Willing to hold out for the right deal. What’s fair market and is there a certain brand of internals that trumps all the rest?

I'm still trying to find a knights rail for my sp5 if anyone has a line on one.

I decided to buy the surefire rail to mount the 400V on. Works fantastic. Glad I did it.

Aside from the obvious rail options with peq at 3:00, a passive solution would work well. Low claw mount, scalarworks leap, and red dot of your choice (t1, t2, rmr, sro, etc.). Not sure how much passive shooting you've done, but it works pretty well. The Scalarworks is open in the center too so you can still use your irons.

I've also seen someone use a claw mount with a longer rail and clamp a mawl to it (hanging off the right). Keeps the mawl tucked back closer to the receiver, but looked kinda slick.

Either way, good luck. My mp5s have quickly become my favorite thing to shoot.

- Will

Reactions: NHPiper
So I found a RAS for the MP5 and I’ve got basically everything I need except the gun.
I’m still working through the reality of an auto trigger pack or sticking with the semi auto switch. Who makes the best trigger packs for these suckers? Light pull and quick reset ideally. Something like 3-4lb

Spuhr has a nice fore end too, if you don't like the DT, MI, KNS, PTR, B&T,SF or Cadex options...

Excited to hear what you think of the TOR after using it, I kind of want one for my mp5/10.
The discontinued cocking tube laser from LD/Steiner is pretty sweet but of course negates suppressor mounting without doing something one-off.

The cocky tube laser wouldn't serve me well as I plan to run suppressed as soon as the F4 is approved. Those rail options are good though. I looked at the SPUHR, but impulsed the KAC rail instead.

So I found a RAS for the MP5 and I’ve got basically everything I need except the gun.
I’m still working through the reality of an auto trigger pack or sticking with the semi auto switch. Who makes the best trigger packs for these suckers? Light pull and quick reset ideally. Something like 3-4lb

Ironically, as you were typing this, @TheGerman was discussing this very thing to me over a couple beers...maybe he can contribute to this question....

'great trigger' doesn't really exist for the MP5. I think Geissele was working on one a few years back but I never heard anything since.

Your options are:

- Stick with the stock semi trigger thats ok but nothing special
- Drop 20k+ on a transferable pack
- Get a binary (I have extras I can sell you)

'great trigger' doesn't really exist for the MP5. I think Geissele was working on one a few years back but I never heard anything since.

Your options are:

- Stick with the stock semi trigger thats ok but nothing special
- Drop 20k+ on a transferable pack
- Get a binary (I have extras I can sell you)

Sounds like binary trigger is the best alternative. PM incoming.

Resurrecting this beauty of a thread..

Got my SP5, installed the KAC RAS rail, Binary Pack (thanks @TheGerman), and then tried to install my shitty claw mount....

Prob 1) The claw mount is the absolute worst designed system I've ever seeeeeeeent! So now I have two B&T mounts on the way, one that's universal (medium height) and another that's low pro for an Aimpoint. No idea which will work and I'm growing frustrated tryign to figure out which mount is the right height and actually stays put.

Prob 2) Like a dummy, I planned on getting the SP5K, so went with the SBT5KA, but ended up with an SP5 and need the SBT5A. They're out of stock evvvvverywhere. Go to HK Parts, they have some stuff in stock, but not exactly what I wanted. Went with the B&T Folder Pistol Brace, then read @deersniper 's thread about ATF given ole KB the tip, and decided I might as well get a collapsible stock and F1 this thing.

Summary... I have three stocks, three optic mounts, and I'm unsure which if any will actually fit properly. HK's are fucking spendy little beasts.

@jwramp which claw mount do you have on your setup? I really want to run either an RMR/Holosun508t V2 or Eotech. That thing looks like it'd be the ticket for the RDS.

Edit to add: My boy blue, @jb1000br over at EuroOptic, made this thing a reality. Big thanks to you broski.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: deersniper
if they still make those red dot mounts to piggy back off a dbal, that'd be a fun idea to try out with a pressure switch going to the fore end

glad you updated...yes, I think most of us end up with all the mounts? The claw mount works on the 91/93 for the vintage look-or I suppose you could flex on us and run an SB short dot?
I would suggest going the SBR route- the braces I have tried don't help much with getting what you can out of the rifle. I like my factory A2 and B&T's with irons- I am thinking of trying Revolutionary Roller Locks' adapter/ACR stock thing for fun, and perhaps the RMR mount that replaces the rear castle sight with an SRO? I have some that have the welded top pic rail- makes it easy to run an RDS, but then it creates the want to chop the top of the front sight.
Don't worry about the stockpile of mounts/stocks- you will probably end up with an SD or a K or a /10 or an SD/10 or...

glad you updated...yes, I think most of us end up with all the mounts? The claw mount works on the 91/93 for the vintage look-or I suppose you could flex on us and run an SB short dot?
I would suggest going the SBR route- the braces I have tried don't help much with getting what you can out of the rifle. I like my factory A2 and B&T's with irons- I am thinking of trying Revolutionary Roller Locks' adapter/ACR stock thing for fun, and perhaps the RMR mount that replaces the rear castle sight with an SRO? I have some that have the welded top pic rail- makes it easy to run an RDS, but then it creates the want to chop the top of the front sight.
Don't worry about the stockpile of mounts/stocks- you will probably end up with an SD or a K or a /10 or an SD/10 or...

Oh boy... this looks promising : https://revolutionaryrollerlocks.co...-mp5-acr-folding-stock-and-adapter-combo-fde/

Tell me about that castle/rmr mount.. I'm only at 4 at the moment.

Pretty sure mine was something dirt cheap from Amazon or Brownells. Haven’t had any issues with it not clamping or coming loose. Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

no affiliation, I think there are others/similar...

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Whats the story behind the ATF deersniper and the tip?

Business as usual w/ the ATF. Say one thing, pause, then recant. Check out Q's website regarding the HoneyBadger and pistol brace. They like to threaten us lawful and responsible gun owners with being out of compliance and possibly facing penalties depending on the time of the year.

A Form1 would resolve all of this, but further restricts us law abiding folk with fewer options.

Business as usual w/ the ATF. Say one thing, pause, then recant. Check out Q's website regarding the HoneyBadger and pistol brace. They like to threaten us lawful and responsible gun owners with being out of compliance and possibly facing penalties depending on the time of the year.

A Form1 would resolve all of this, but further restricts us law abiding folk with fewer options.
Especially for those of us that live in States where Form 1's are a no-go...

Reactions: jwramp
Resurrecting this beauty of a thread..

Got my SP5, installed the KAC RAS rail, Binary Pack (thanks @TheGerman), and then tried to install my shitty claw mount....

Prob 1) The claw mount is the absolute worst designed system I've ever seeeeeeeent! So now I have two B&T mounts on the way, one that's universal (medium height) and another that's low pro for an Aimpoint. No idea which will work and I'm growing frustrated tryign to figure out which mount is the right height and actually stays put.

Prob 2) Like a dummy, I planned on getting the SP5K, so went with the SBT5KA, but ended up with an SP5 and need the SBT5A. They're out of stock evvvvverywhere. Go to HK Parts, they have some stuff in stock, but not exactly what I wanted. Went with the B&T Folder Pistol Brace, then read @deersniper 's thread about ATF given ole KB the tip, and decided I might as well get a collapsible stock and F1 this thing.

Summary... I have three stocks, three optic mounts, and I'm unsure which if any will actually fit properly. HK's are fucking spendy little beasts.

@jwramp which claw mount do you have on your setup? I really want to run either an RMR/Holosun508t V2 or Eotech. That thing looks like it'd be the ticket for the RDS.

Edit to add: My boy blue, @jb1000br over at EuroOptic, made this thing a reality. Big thanks to you broski.
I think it's inevitable that anyone who has an mp5 ends up with every stock, fore end and optic mount made. The B&T side folder has ended up being my favorite. Feels like an A2 but has the compact factor of an A3.

If I was you I'd throw a peq on the right side with a tape switch over to the left, and run an aimpoint on a Scalarworks mount so you can shoot passively. That mount is also skeletonized so you'd be able to use your irons if you wanted.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
I think it's inevitable that anyone who has an mp5 ends up with every stock, fore end and optic mount made. The B&T side folder has ended up being my favorite. Feels like an A2 but has the compact factor of an A3.

If I was you I'd throw a peq on the right side with a tape switch over to the left, and run an aimpoint on a Scalarworks mount so you can shoot passively. That mount is also skeletonized so you'd be able to use your irons if you wanted.

Which mount would you go with to accomplish this?

I think I've seen most people use the MFI ultra low claw mount, but the B&T universal you have coming will probably work as well. The ultra low B&T really only works with the aimpoint mounts (ask me how I know). And then a standard aimpoint micro Scalarworks mount - probably absolute cowitness.

I'm looking to switch to this setup myself. Currently running the B&T low mount with a T1 but would like to get the dot up over the sight hood to declutter and allow me to shoot with nods.