• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPA Lite Hunter needs moderate weight optics

devildawg2531

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2013
USA
I have ordered an MPS Lite Hunter with 18 inch barrel in 6.5 CM that will mostly be used for hunting but also see some time on steel out to 1000 - 1200 yards. I am looking for quality optics and mount. Would like to limit optics and mount to about $3500 (must be FFP). I want quality but but also very weight concious (think I'm at 7.7 pound before optics / mount). I already have an MPA PRS gun that is right at 20 pounds but becomes heavy / long when hiking it. I love the Vortex scopes but don't see an FFP lightish option. Appreciate the guidance.

I went with a 4-16x42 atacr it’s barely heavier than an nx8 I think 30oz and has a button lock elevation which I love and then I used Hawkins unltralight rings because Hawkins is the shit. I use them on my match rifle too and it took a nasty spill off the spare of my Jeep and was dead nuts still.

Is fairly light weight.
Just around your msrp
See the review from glassaholic here:

Last edited:
I have ordered an MPS Lite Hunter with 18 inch barrel in 6.5 CM that will mostly be used for hunting but also see some time on steel out to 1000 - 1200 yards. I am looking for quality optics and mount. Would like to limit optics and mount to about $3500 (must be FFP). I want quality but but also very weight concious (think I'm at 7.7 pound before optics / mount). I already have an MPA PRS gun that is right at 20 pounds but becomes heavy / long when hiking it. I love the Vortex scopes but don't see an FFP lightish option. Appreciate the guidance.

We have some great lighter weight options that we can discuss with you, please call us at 916-670-1103 :)

Reactions: devildawg2531
How does the Tangent Theta 3 - 15 x 50 match up with the Leupold Mk 5 HD 5-25 x 56 vs the Vortex Razor AMG?

In terms of glass quality, tracking and return to zero repeatedly and durability?

All 3 are 28 - 30 oz and all 3 are in my price range. Much appreciated.

How does the Tangent Theta 3 - 15 x 50 match up with the Leupold Mk 5 HD 5-25 x 56 vs the Vortex Razor AMG?

In terms of glass quality, tracking and return to zero repeatedly and durability?

All 3 are 28 - 30 oz and all 3 are in my price range. Much appreciated.
DD, you get what you pay for primarily. TT is going to blow your mind optically and mechanically. If you don’t mind the 15x limit at the top there is simply nothing better.

AMG is awesome and made in the USA, but it’s not a TT; however does have great features. March 4.5-28 weighs an ounce more than AMG but has enormous FOV at 4.5, besting even the Kahles K318i at 3.5x.

If you want even lighter check out the March 3-24x52, it is a scope that flies under the radar a lot but makes for a superb 3-20 crossover option.

If you want even lighter then wait a couple months and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by some new gear.

Oh, forgot the Leupold- Mark 5’s are nice scopes with great turrets

@Glassaholic

“If you want even lighter then wait a couple months and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by some new gear.”

You keep tempting us with this…I hope whatever it is, it’s awesome.

Reactions: Just Macca
ZCO 4-20 doesn’t meet the $3500 criteria but they are also fantastic.

ZCO 4-20 doesn’t meet the $3500 criteria but they are also fantastic.
Used it would. I always think of pricing from the buy and sell forum here when thinking of pricing unless it is specifically defined they want to buy brand new.

Reactions: Mr. Z
The lightest, for now, high quality FFP scope is the March 3-24x42, although I like the 3-24x52 model better.
I have the 3-24x52 March and a 3-15x50 TT315M and they are excellent. I also have the mysterious scope Glassaholic mentioned and it is really good for the money. Both the TT and the mystery scope will some day be pried from my cold dead hands, but no sooner.

ILya

the mystery scope is being released in a couple of months?

My new MPA is about 20 weeks from expected delivery so I have a few months before needing to buy.. but want the scope and mount when the rifle arrives. Its been proven that I'm physically unable to own a firearm and not immediately shoot it lol

• Haha
Reactions: Glassaholic

just saw this.. apparently the Marc scope is discontinued?​

Product Discontinued by Manufacturer​

March Scopes 3-24x52mm FFP Tactical Knob Illuminated Riflescope has been discontinued by March Scopes and is no longer available. Our product experts have helped us select these available replacements below.You can also explore other items in the Riflescopes & Accessories, Riflescopes yourself to try and find the perfect replacement for you!

the mystery scope is being released in a couple of months?

My new MPA is about 20 weeks from expected delivery so I have a few months before needing to buy.. but want the scope and mount when the rifle arrives. Its been proven that I'm physically unable to own a firearm and not immediately shoot it lol
Part of the problem is that new release scopes that offer great features at a decent price are sometimes hard to keep on shelves, so even if you were to wait there's no guarantee you would get one anytime soon. Better to buy something proven now then to wait for something that doesn't even exist...

just saw this.. apparently the Marc scope is discontinued?​

Product Discontinued by Manufacturer​

March Scopes 3-24x52mm FFP Tactical Knob Illuminated Riflescope has been discontinued by March Scopes and is no longer available. Our product experts have helped us select these available replacements below.You can also explore other items in the Riflescopes & Accessories, Riflescopes yourself to try and find the perfect replacement for you!
Where'd you see this? News to me, I'm getting one next month in fact... Oh wait, your link shows Optics Planet, I would not trust their information. Rest assured March is still making the 3-24x52 with tactical knobs and illumination.

Part of the problem is that new release scopes that offer great features at a decent price are sometimes hard to keep on shelves, so even if you were to wait there's no guarantee you would get one anytime soon. Better to buy something proven now then to wait for something that doesn't even exist...
Are you able to give us a more definitive time frame on mystery scope?? Any other details you are allowed to say?

Or even further to that... I’m in Australia and really hoping Mystery Scope will be available down under. A significant proportion of niche shooting equipment is unobtainable in Oz without great effort or great cost.

whereas mainstream stuff from the likes of Vortex is released globally effectively on the same day.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Or even further to that... I’m in Australia and really hoping Mystery Scope will be available down under. A significant proportion of niche shooting equipment is unobtainable in Oz without great effort or great cost.

whereas mainstream stuff from the likes of Vortex is released globally effectively on the same day.

I think the backlog will be so long that it will be hard to get everywhere. On the other hand, since I really like it and I am kinda odd, it might very well be a commercial failure.

ILya

I think most definitely the former and not the latter. Are there better scopes out there? Certainly. Are there better mag ranges, I think so. This is not the perfect scope, and many will be naysayers I’m sure. But find me a better scope that covers the mag range, is as short and light, you will not because they simply do not exist. For that reason alone I agree, backlog will be quite long.

I think most definitely the former and not the latter. Are there better scopes out there? Certainly. Are there better mag ranges, I think so. This is not the perfect scope, and many will be naysayers I’m sure. But find me a better scope that covers the mag range, is as short and light, you will not because they simply do not exist. For that reason alone I agree, backlog will be quite long.

I have now spend the better part of six months with that scope. Most of it was spent shooting plates out to a few hundred yards. I took it out beyond 1k a couple of times, but most was within 800 yards. I also spend a significant amount of time shooting with it offhand and off the baricade at moderate distances. Given the price and the weight, I do not think there is anything better on the market right now.

ILya

I have now spend the better part of six months with that scope. Most of it was spent shooting plates out to a few hundred yards. I took it out beyond 1k a couple of times, but most was within 800 yards. I also spend a significant amount of time shooting with it offhand and off the baricade at moderate distances. Given the price and the weight, I do not think there is anything better on the market right now.

ILya
Edit: Reread and found my answer.

ILya
Any chance we can get teaser specs? Obviously leave out the brand.

Lighter than the aforementioned March 3-24x42?

I was told that Vortex will be releasing a lighter FFP than the Razor around August / September. 3 - 24 and around 22 oz. So about 6 oz lighter than the Razor AMG. So depending on if this comes to fruition may wait on this as my MPA Lite Hunter is still about 20 weeks out.

I was told that Vortex will be releasing a lighter FFP than the Razor around August / September. 3 - 24 and around 22 oz. So about 6 oz lighter than the Razor AMG. So depending on if this comes to fruition may wait on this as my MPA Lite Hunter is still about 20 weeks out.
I would be ecstatic if this is the next evolution of the AMG....

Well that sounds exciting, where did you hear that?

Can I pretend I didn't read that and keep up hope that Vortex has heard my wishes for the past 4+ years for a lower min magnification AMG?
Yes, absolutely, and I'm right there with you (y), I may be wrong and will be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: jda2631
yes I have 2 Vortex PST Gen 2 and the Vortex Razor on my PRS gun. Have been very happy with the quality of all 3. An interesting from the Vortex guy that may be common knowledge but was new to me was that many scope manufacturers use the same manufacturing facilities in different countries. I took this to mean contract manufacturers or private label agreements but didn't dig into the details.

yes I have 2 Vortex PST Gen 2 and the Vortex Razor on my PRS gun. Have been very happy with the quality of all 3. An interesting from the Vortex guy that may be common knowledge but was new to me was that many scope manufacturers use the same manufacturing facilities in different countries. I took this to mean contract manufacturers or private label agreements but didn't dig into the details.
That is correct, this is what I call OEM's. In Japan one of the largest OEM's is LOW (Light Optical Works) - Nightforce, Bushnell, Vortex, Sig Sauer and many others all use LOW as the manufacturer of their scopes. I am not certain if the Razor LHT line comes from LOW but I do know the ever popular Razor Gen II scopes come from LOW. Vortex AMG does not come from LOW but are designed and manufactured exclusively in the USA. PST series scopes are manufactured in the Philippines.

That is correct, this is what I call OEM's. In Japan one of the largest OEM's is LOW (Light Optical Works) - Nightforce, Bushnell, Vortex, Sig Sauer and many others all use LOW as the manufacturer of their scopes. I am not certain if the Razor LHT line comes from LOW but I do know the ever popular Razor Gen II scopes come from LOW. Vortex AMG does not come from LOW but are designed and manufactured exclusively in the USA. PST series scopes are manufactured in the Philippines.
yes he mentioned NightForce .. good to know. Thanks for confirming Glassaholic!

Some of the first AMG had every single part USA manufactured, but they did switch the reticle to Germany fairly early on. Mine is marked as such.

Has that changed?

Some of the first AMG had every single part USA manufactured, but they did switch the reticle to Germany fairly early on. Mine is marked as such.

Has that changed?
That has not changed. The glass is still made in the USA, but shipped to Germany for the etching only, that is my understanding.

Looking at the Vortex website it looks like the Vortex employee was right. The new Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 FFP MRAD at 21.7 oz. Looks like it may be a perfect fit for the lightweight hunting rig I want. Anyone gotten the chance to look through it?