• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPA vs MDT - Chassis Help

FishDr

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 10, 2014
    West KY
    Hiders,
    I’m a traditional stock lover - have a Manners T4 and a McM A5. Needing to try out a chassis for various reasons - have a switch barrel rig, but also need to switch a couple of B/A in them. Mostly for versatility and weight savings in “backpack” matches.
    I’ve tried the XLR Element and didn’t get comfortable; a friend shoots the Envy - great chassis, but Ergos seem not to fit me around the grip area.
    Tried an MPA - love the grip and that area, but I had the BA lite - forearm too short for great accuracy in prone. Didn’t mess with it enough to get comfy in the cheek riser area, and the LOP seems to start a bit long and get longer from there.

Here are my requirements kinda in order:
    1. Accuracy and repeatability in action mounting
    2. Comfort
    3. Light Weight and folding mechanism
    4. Cost (900 fully decked out)
    5. Future adjustability ??

Interested in an MPA hybrid, MDT ACC, MDT ESS, ????
    What is out there? What is your experience? I’m either crazy, cheap, stupid, blind, all of the above - or just destined to be a stock guy forever. Help a brutha out!
    Thanks.

Last edited:
    Had an MPA, now have MDT ACC. Both are good and have a lot of adjustment, ACC takes it to another level in my opinion. The ability to add weights anywhere for balance is unrivaled I think. Adjustable grip length is great too, as well as the rear stock adjust-ability. It will cost more than $900 though. MPA offers a lot for the price, but I do think ACC is a better chassis overall, but you will spend more. Just my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.

I'll throw in a monkey wrench for you - look at PDC Custom. I've got a Gen5 Competition (you can see pics on the PDC CUstom facebook page, but they're not on the website yet) that I'm very happy with. No issues with consistency when taking action in and out for cleaning, etc, it's got full length RRS-spec Arca rails on the main handguard and spigot (and the spigot is machined in), LOP and cheek adjustable out of the box, and folders available. Weight is pretty reasonable, depending on options selected, too.

I've always been able to get comfortable behind them without problem. The adjustable thumb rest is a nice feature in that department, and it takes standard AR grips (note that he uses a different thread pitch than a standard AR, though) so it's easy to swap in one you like. Combine that with adjustable cheek and LOP, and optional tilt/height adjustment on the butt plate, and you'll probably be able to snug it right it.

If you're going to be at K&M next weekend, you're more than welcome to come check mine out.

Reactions: frost1235
    Hollywood - thanks for the offer. Normally I would be there but have a wedding to attend. I’ll send a shooting buddy over to check it out though. Thanks !!!

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
    Hollywood - thanks for the offer. Normally I would be there but have a wedding to attend. I’ll send a shooting buddy over to check it out though. Thanks !!!

Glad to do it. Shoot me a PM next week so I can tell you how your buddy can find me - he might be someone I know anyway.

I can't get to Facebook from work, otherwise I'd snag a photo of a Gen5 from the FB page, but here's a link to the page itself. if you have any questions on it, let me know. I helped out with some of the design process on the Gen5 and earlier models, so I can probably answer most any questions you have.

I really like my MDT ESS chassis, and MDT in general. BA install and removal has been very repeatable, the chassis is very adjustable and comfortable to get behind, and there are mlok slots out the wazoo for your future needs. I like that there’s an actual grip on the front of the chassis for my offhand, even though I’m usually holding the front down against my bipod. I also like how much of the system is replaceable by carbon fiber.

That said:
    • The ACC doesn’t have a folder yet, and doesn’t start out particularly light (5.9lb)
    • The ESS folder is awesome but hella expensive (almost $600 for the buttstock by itself), and also doesn’t start out particularly light (4lb with carbon forend)

Last edited:
    Reactions: MDT_Josh
    i love my MPA, i have the ba comp chassis

everything feels right, not sure about any of the other chassis, but the mpa feels great

Had an MPA, now have MDT ACC. Both are good and have a lot of adjustment, ACC takes it to another level in my opinion. The ability to add weights anywhere for balance is unrivaled I think. Adjustable grip length is great too, as well as the rear stock adjust-ability. It will cost more than $900 though. MPA offers a lot for the price, but I do think ACC is a better chassis overall, but you will spend more. Just my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.
    I'll second this. I have both the MPA Comp and the MDT ACC. The ACC has quickly become my favorite chassis.

I have both, they’re both super nice.

The MPA has the bubble level built in which I like a lot

The MDT is longer which allows you to run bipod out further.

You can make em borh super heavy if you want.

MPA is cheaper.

Didn’t like the feel of MDT bought MPA comp love it !
    If you can go to a prs match talk to the shooters to see what they think and if you can shoulder the firearm most if not all would be happy to help you out. (Who doesn’t want to show off their firearm.)
    Good luck hope you find one that fits like a glove.

I have a few MDT ESS and ACC. For an all out PRS comp gun, the ACC is pretty unrivalled. The integrated RRS spec dovetail, the ability to add weights, the long forend. So it depends what you're looking for. I still quite like the ESS as well, it just doesn't have all the comp-specific features of the ACC. One thing to keep in mind is that both the ACC and ESS have the same buttstock interface so you can say put an ESS folder on an ACC or if you're trying to cut weight on the ACC, you can replace the steel rear part of the buttstock with the al one from the ESS. I'm sure if you give MDT customer service a call, they can spec out your chassis how you want it.

both the ACC and ESS have the same buttstock interface so you can say put an ESS folder on an ACC or if you're trying to cut weight on the ACC, you can replace the steel rear part of the buttstock with the al one from the ESS.

Great idea I hadnt though of. I’ll contact MDT and see if they can hook this up.

Any other options? Any experiences on a Bravo?

Great idea I hadnt though of. I’ll contact MDT and see if they can hook this up.

I have both a bravo and an acc. The bravo is almost as impressive with its value but it does suffer the shorter forearm and lack of quick adjustability. Like someone else said, the acc is basically a pure comp oriented gun it’s overly long, it’s square. If I were shooting it offhand I would hate it, the bravo would be a pleasure to shoot offhand with. I love the acc/mdt adjustable vert grip, can finally scoot it close enough. And it balances well for baricades; if I move the bipod to right up in front of the magwell it will almost balance itself in the air, I think if I played with the amount of rounds in the mag there will be a sweet number that it actually would without teetering over.

Last edited:
    That’s interesting feedback compared to the Bravo. My shooting partner just got the Bravo & I’m impressed thus far, but I want to try out the ACC.

Stick with your traditional stocks if they work for you or try get behind as many chassis as you can.I went through this and chassis just weren’t for me.
    Get yourself a manners mini chassis folder.

Stick with your traditional stocks if they work for you or try get behind as many chassis as you can.I went through this and chassis just weren’t for me.
    Get yourself a manners mini chassis folder.
    That is an option … one that I consider strongly.
    Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words about the ACC friends! To answer your question @FishDr , we can't yet add the ESS folder to the ACC and sell it to you, but that will be an option soon (as well as maybe some other cool stuff ;) )

For your application, the ACC seems to fit the bill, although it is a little on the heavy and long side. The ESS with a 15" or 18" forend may be a better option, or even an LSS-XL Gen2, vertical grip and SRS stock? If you have questions, let me know ;)

Reactions: gnochi and FishDr
    Thanks for the advise! Love the great customer service from MDT (and already have several mags)!!!!

Do yourself a favor and buy a used one of whatever you decide. Lots of guys switch to the new hotness every season and you can buy their cast offs. Lots of used MPA Comp chassis out there for pretty good deals. Go to a local club match and most guys will let you get behind their rifles and see what you think.

Reactions: FishDr
    I tried that one... the grip doesn't work very well for me. Otherwise, a great chassis, I will admit. But not my flavor. Appreciate the input.

The XLR chassis systems will work with any number of grips in addition to the 3-4 options they offer. If you didn’t like the grip, just change the grip. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

The XLR chassis systems will work with any number of grips in addition to the 3-4 options they offer. If you didn’t like the grip, just change the grip. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

That is a good point. I’ll try to explain my dislike of this area. I’ve shot both an envy (old and new) and an element. Tried both with and without the thumb rest. With the thumb rest is better since I generally shoot with thumb alongside unless needed to stabilize the rifle. The way this area is made, I find that it pulls the rear part of my hand AWAY from the centerline of the rifle (I.e. I’m canting my wrist outward to get to the thumb rest or along the chassis). With stocks/chassis that have a machined rest similar to the MPA or MDT, my wrist is more neutral (as on the more traditional stock), therefore more comfortable, therefore I shoot better. Love the XLR and the customer support was great when I owned one. Just didn’t work well for me.

Reviving an older thread. I currently have a KRG Bravo and shoot in PRS/nrl22 matches. I was looking to upgrade to something more adjustable and ARCA. So options were you invest another $300 into the bravo or upgrade to either the mpa comp or mdt acc.

Now that more people are behind the acc what are current users thoughts? I've seen a few postings of acc on the px with users going back to their mpa comp.

I've personally been leaning towards the acc but I haven't used either personally.

Thanks in advance.

I went MDT and love them. I may part with my ACC but not to go to MPA. Shooting more ruck matches so may try to go lighter, so possibly the LSS XL or something light-ish. Buddy shoots MPA and they are good too.

Love my ACC. It’s an amazing piece of equipment. I would not consider it light weight tho. It’s simple, yet so detailed.

I’ve had the mpa comp and just ordered a custom hybrid folder. Considering I like to hunt and might shoot a comp or two here and there. In reality just try out as many as you can and only you can make the right decision. I love mpa and I have shot the acc as well. Acc is awesome but I’m a cheap ass so I went with something I can use for everything. Then again it’s holding an impact 737 and proof carbon fiber barrel lol.

I loved everything about MDT, but starting out with such a longer length of pull was a deal breaker. I called MPA and they made me a custom shorter l.o.p. that still retained it being adjustable. That's what sold me on going MPA... Otherwise, I had a mdt chassis in my cart ready to hit buy.

Reactions: vergil
    I loved everything about MDT, but starting out with such a longer length of pull was a deal breaker. I called MPA and they made me a custom shorter l.o.p. that still retained it being adjustable. That's what sold me on going MPA... Otherwise, I had a mdt chassis in my cart ready to hit buy.
    Thanks. I'm going to measure my current lop on my bravo. I just shortened it recently and like it a lot more. Not sure what it is at right now.

Reactions: Stoweit
    XLR. Now with ultralight options and add on weight. Same chassis as MOS but with better prices and good customer service.

I have 3 MPA chassis and the MDT ACC has really been making ground at matches. I'm not sure I can justify switching over but can see adding to the fleet

I have 3 MPA chassis and the MDT ACC has really been making ground at matches. I'm not sure I can justify switching over but can see adding to the fleet

Thanks for everyone's input. I found a mdt acc with a 13.5 lop and got some weights to play with for balance. One external pair and the buttstock weight.