• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPA's new "production" class rifle

It seems cosmetic for me. The bolt has been running great when I got it and still now. I'll have it at a match in a little over a week.
I guess that’s good. I honestly wouldn’t expect the finish to wear at all but if it doesn’t hurt anything it’s probably no big deal. Nothing cerakote can’t fix. Good luck at your match. Can’t wait to hear how it does.

Well, I got to attend two local matches this last weekend. However, on Saturday I had my hand loads and I failed to check my cartridge overall length. None of my ammo would fit into my magazine. I had to single feed every round at the match. I'm not sure who won Tactical or Production at the match yet, but I ended up 37th out of 71. I think the max amount of points was 80 and I ended up with 36. The rifle ran with no issues at all.

I re-seated my ammo on Saturday night and fed every round with no issues on Sunday as well.

I have a couple of videos from our stages.

Attachments

• Chris 1.jpg
    Chris 1.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 264
I have noticed the coating on my bolt has started coming off. I'll take a picture of it tonight. I'm guessing here but I've cycled the bolt at least 300-400 times.

Some of the coating was already worn when I picked it up from my FFL as well. I assume from MPA checking the rifle. Did you notice that on yours?
In my conversation with MPA they said they deleted the fluting and the nitride on the Axiom bolt to keep the cost down. It's probably Parkerized or something similar. I'm thinking of ordering one of these soon. How does the bolt run, smooth?
Edit: Axiom bolt is DLC not nitride.

Last edited:
Ah, it is DLC? I wasn't sure. It runs very smooth. I'm coming from an RPR. I'll have some videos up from the match I shot last weekend here soon.

Any more Updates on this rifle in real world experiences? Have money burning a hole in my pocket....

I've run it in two 3 club matches so far and I've had no issues with it at all. It shoots great. The only thing that I wish was different was the cheek riser and butt stock to come with the adjustable wheel. I believe that is the way it comes on the hybrid chassis though.

I would like to dig this thread back up. I was looking at buying a hybrid chassis and was thinking about buying one of these rifles and then selling the ba.

I would like to dig this thread back up. I was looking at buying a hybrid chassis and was thinking about buying one of these rifles and then selling the ba.

The chassis that comes with the rifle is only $750 (or less if you shop around). Action is worth $1000, trigger $100 and pre-fit barrel $500 (at most). So I get your line of thinking that it's a $2300-2400 package for $2000, but once you consider that to sell any items you don't want on the used market even in unfired condition you'll have to undercut those prices by 10-20% (maybe more). That's a pretty thin margin for the time and hassle.

Although it's an appealing "factory rifle" option I would just spend the few extra bucks to get the quick adjust LOP chassis if you're going to go into open class anyways. The more adjustable chassis and saving all that time/hassle is well worth the cost difference imo.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
So just to stir the pot so to speak. I wonder how this rifle and the Snipers hide APO compare. Both are at the 2k price point with triggertech triggers and nice chassis.

I would honestly just buy the chassis by itself if you are going to sell the barreled action off later.

Nice! Do they sell just barreled actions?

I already have a MPA

They do have barreled actions, but I think their caliber choices are limited to 6.5 CM, 6 CM, .308 and maybe 6.5x47 or something of the sort.

I would honestly just buy the chassis by itself if you are going to sell the barreled action off later.

They do have barreled actions, but I think their caliber choices are limited to 6.5 CM, 6 CM, .308 and maybe 6.5x47 or something of the sort.

Or I could buy the BA :)

Here's a short video of the rifle. I forgot to mention in the video the rifle came with an A2 grip which I replaced and it came with the 2 round holder (stage saver).

Thanks for posting. How long did it take to get in your hands from MPA? Also what grip did you replace the stock one with? It looks sweet.

Reactions: JBattles
Thanks for posting. How long did it take to get in your hands from MPA? Also what grip did you replace the stock one with? It looks sweet.

I ordered it in January before SHOT show and I got it around the 3rd week of March. It was right around the 8 week time period I believe.

The Hybrid chassis comes standard with the A2 grip (angled). MPA sells the ehnanced vertical grip which I ordered from them along with the rifle. I believe the enhanced vertical grip is standard on the Comp and BA chassis.

Reactions: BigBC
I ordered it in January before SHOT show and I got it around the 3rd week of March. It was right around the 8 week time period I believe.

The Hybrid chassis comes standard with the A2 grip (angled). MPA sells the ehnanced vertical grip which I ordered from them along with the rifle. I believe the enhanced vertical grip is standard on the Comp and BA chassis.
Excellent thanks. And if anyone is curious I just received an email from Al stating that it is available in Lefty as well ;)

Did it come with the break and 20 moa base?

Just ordered mine. I needed a Left Hand PMR which they will do. I spoke with Lisa over the phone and Al via email. All very great to deal with so far. On the site it does say it comes with a 20 MOA base, I also confirmed this over the phone, but the Muzzle Break is extra. It's an upgrade just like getting the better ergo grip. The MB retails for 140 on their site, however if you do upgrade to the MB they said they would subtract 15 for the thread protector not being needed.

I'm in for the long wait now so once I get the rifle in I can confirm those specs.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
Ok, to answer some questions... I am a platinum dealer with MPA and have spoken directly with Phil so these answers aren't hearsay.

Everything boils down to keeping it under the $2k pricepoint. The A2 grip instead of their vertical grip. They upgraded to the hybrid chassis from the BA Lite chassis so to keep the price from going up, they took off the muzzle brake. Yes they are their own barrel manufacturer, but since they started using the Curtis action (before they used a tried Remington action on their production class rifle), they had to outsource the barrel to keep the price down. For what you are getting, it is an excellent package. I sell other brands both cheaper and more expensive, but for that Phil and MPA produce, in this and other rifles, they are hard to beat at any level.

If you need more information on the rifle or good pricing, let me know.

I've run it in two 3 club matches so far and I've had no issues with it at all. It shoots great. The only thing that I wish was different was the cheek riser and butt stock to come with the adjustable wheel. I believe that is the way it comes on the hybrid chassis though.

What's the OAL on the PMR? I'm looking buy a case for it.

If you want to stay in production I really think the MPA is the most well rounded offering for the $ right now. With the MPA you are getting a trigger tech trigger, MPA Hybrid chassis that can take the weight/balance system, arca rail accessories, bag rider, and custom action/barrel with 60 deg bolt throw and a oversized bolt knob and any number of smiths can spin you up a pre-fit barrel. The only ding against it is no muzzle brake, and most will replace the grip.

Too much emphasis is put on upgrading these $1999 "production" models to grow with the shooter. The reality is almost everyone using Production class to enter into the sport, if they advance they are going to want an entire new rifle. Not many that stay in PRS are going to keep a Bravo stock, or an untrued Rem 700 action by choice.

If you want to stay in production I really think the MPA is the most well rounded offering for the $ right now. With the MPA you are getting a trigger tech trigger, MPA Hybrid chassis that can take the weight/balance system, arca rail accessories, bag rider, and custom action/barrel with 60 deg bolt throw and a oversized bolt knob and any number of smiths can spin you up a pre-fit barrel. The only ding against it is no muzzle brake, and most will replace the grip.

Too much emphasis is put on upgrading these $1999 "production" models to grow with the shooter. The reality is almost everyone using Production class to enter into the sport, if they advance they are going to want an entire new rifle. Not many that stay in PRS are going to keep a Bravo stock, or an untrued Rem 700 action by choice.

I also think it's a great deal for the gun and in my opinion it really doesn't "need" anything else besides a new grip and MB. Both of which can be done at MPA before you even get the rifle. I also like the fact that it can be run in production and open and be competitive in both.

I just purchased a pmr in 6.5 Creed and will pick it up next week. I currently have a origin and a TL3 but wanted to try a 3 lug Curtis. The price is a insane value. It would cost $2400 plus To assemble a like rifle. I am expecting 1/2 Moa out of this rifle so I guess we will see.

I did notice the balance point is a little more forward of the magwell than I prefer. It is in their hybrid chassis, so I know you can add more weight to it. I will probably do a bit of a video on it once I get a little time. I do have a club match coming up in 2 weeks. I will definitely get some video then on it.

Did you have to buy the adapter for your (what looks like) Harris Bi-pod? If so what did you go with? I also am running Harris.

Welp! MPA so far has done good. Lead time was much less and I got the rifle in the shop yesterday. Everything looks good so far. Once it gets out of jail and fully kitted, the pics will follow.

Also I did end up getting the RATs mount for the Harris. It definitely will have an advantage being able to adjust it quickly.

There was however a picatinny rail section included so if you already have a bi-pod that can mount you don't need the RATs mount. It will save you a little money however it will cost you in adjustability on the range/COF.

Excited to start hammering with this thing.

Nice to see the LH version hitting the consumers hands.

Yeah it's a nice action. A couple little things that I might mention to MPA are that the level has the black indicator but also another small air bubble inside the tube. I don't think it affects the accuracy of the level but it's annoying.

Also it would be nice to include a match saver. I get that it's a "budget" minded/ production build, but I feel that it wouldn't cost MPA much to throw it in.

I ran the action with the PMAG AI that it came with. I used Snap Caps in 6mm CM. I was able to cycle them really well and all extracted as expected. Some people have said that LH actions come out rougher than RH. This one seemed to be GTG with the Snap Caps.

I think it's hilarious how MPA strips the PMR down to get sub 2k, but you can buy all stuff afterwards and still be production legal. NICE. (Unless Im completely reading the rules wrong... which is totally possible.)

Well, you can add anything you really want to it as long as it doesn't increase the accuracy of the rifle from it's factory condition. At least that's how I understand it. Adding a grip, changing a handguard on an RPR, changing butt stocks, etc. I think that is more cosmetic and to allow people to make their rifles fit better.

It's a market niche and even better to try and get someone tied to their brand when they wish to upgrade.

Reactions: JBattles
That's how I understood it. And ultimately the ergonomics of the rifle are more for convenience and consistency. I keep looking at adding the adjustment wheels, weight system and side folder haha

This PMR also seems to be a foundation model for non-competitors who don't have to succumb to the $2k limit.
ON the web, there are a number of the Comp chassis for selling a variety of configurations. eg. with a proper adjustable stock, with an upgraded acton/bolt heads for magnum/PRC rounds, upgraded triggers, etc.

Im probably going to get one in PRC, and some vendors/shops have them in stock, no waiting!!

Reactions: BigBC
So far the first range trip went well. Got a decent zero. I ain't the greatest shot but was still able to get sub-moa at 100m with Prime 6CM. The wind and 100 degree heat cut our day short, but even with that said we were able to get some good data.

Hitting head shots on c zone steel at 300 was hilariously fun. This thing is a laser so far.

Here is a 8 round group shot in about 45 seconds from my 6.5 PMR ( I pulled one ).

Attachments

• PMR Group.jpg
    PMR Group.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 61
Here is a 8 round group shot in about 45 seconds from my 6.5 PMR ( I pulled one ).

My MPA BA 6.5 competition won't shoot groups like that. :cry: Did you spend a lot of time working up loads for it? Maybe I just have not found the "magic: load for mine yet..... or worse I god a dud. So far my Howa 6.5 shoots tighter groups and was 1/3rd the cost. So far I'm not real happy with my purchase.

Last edited: