• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Mr. Brooks

Arch

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2007
fake
www.chinesefortunecalendar.com
I kind of liked it. I have mixed feelings about this film primarily due to it's predictability, but I must say that I enjoyed it, somewhat. Unlike the majority of film critics, I think I like all of Kevin Costner's movies. Not that they would rank up there in any of my top 100 lists, but I'd watch most of them several times. (Oh, wait a moment, my memory just told me that he once acted as Crash Davis, placing him on one of my top 10 lists.) Even Waterworld and the Postman (which was a decent read) were fairly good to watch, especially while resting in the top rack as the bells and whistles sound, the sailors run amok, and the ship gets underway. (I fear that most of the younger guys have not experinced the shipboard life, some having spent their entire tour in the desert.)

Nevertheless, Mr. Brooks is about a serial killer. Beside him (Costner, the killer that is) throughout most of the movie is another actor (Bill Hurt) who plays the deep, dark thoughts of the killer. A couple of times they share a real good laugh about a killing, or death, which some people will laugh at and others frown. I laughed, and these made the movie for me. Costner plays this part well but I would not want to ruin the film by saying much more. Demi Moore plays a good detective as well; she can work some judo on me if she wants - she needs only to call.

That guy that was the comedy rage for a short while whose name I cannot remember, something like "Clair Danes Cook," is in the movie as well, playing an idiot, which I do not think was difficult for him to do.

A question lingers about a small piece of plastic that is found by CSI at a crime scene. It would seem that firing a pistol from a plastic bag produced a very small piece of plastic at the crime scene. Now, I have watched CSI (the Vegas strip edition not the Florida edition that apparently features that over-acting redhead guy that the midget Stallone whipped up on when he acted as a deputy in Rambo Uno) and I have never seen an example of a small piece of plastic bag falling free in front of a speeding bullet, not to mention not changing its disposition chemically when held tight against a barrel expending energy.

Re: Mr. Brooks

you know sled i think it was split into your area...very well could have been...after katrina in new orleans we had several movies take place up here, The Guardian was another costner one partially done here...the training pool was where i went to college

If I remember correctly the plastic was found in the wound of the victim. Been a while since I have watched it.

I also like much of Costner's work, but the trailers for this one just turned me off. Just altogether too dark for me. i think I can let this one get away and come out of it with a better view of Costner's body of work than had I not.

G.L. I often ask of things whether they [IT] are a sign of the man or a sign of the times. I sometimes think (darkly) that the modern man wears a mask, but to be open and fair, I borrowed this idea/mindset/guestion from an author I once had the chance to meet, speaking about his newly released "Mask of Command."

He did not ask this question in the book, but it was the crux that I had gathered from it. Upon my asking, he laughed, knowingly...

liked it very much
grin.gif

I really enjoy a good dark movie now and then. It reminds me of the evil that walks among us.

I thought it was cast pretty well and the alter ego was a great addition.

I seen this movie about a week and a half ago.

I thought it was an excellent movie. Has a twisted ending.

What's not to love about Dane Cook getting off'd with a shovel? The movie only let me down when Costner didn't really get the scissors - other than that it would have been awesome like Waterworld.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I seen this movie about a week and a half ago.

I thought it was an excellent movie. Has a twisted ending.</div></div>

I would have LOVED the ending if it had ended just a few minutes earlier (as I recall -- I watched the movie some time ago). Holywood does that a lot, take a great ending and then tone it down because people like to believe in happily ever after. I bet that was the original idea but some focus group couldn't handle it.

I say, a movie like that should just creep the shit out of you and leave you totally horrified.

Watched online last night, awesome movie, and I unfortunately read the whole thread and had the ending spoiled for me, but it was a great movie none-the-less.

Branden

The screenwriter obviously watched Dexter, especially the 3rd season.
I'd give it a 50%.
I'm generally a sucker for Costner movies but this one was a bit disappointing.
Hurt was great but Moore was so so.
Dane Cook, an acquired taste that is not for me.

Seeing as how Mr. Brooks came out in 2007 and Dexter's first season aired in 2006, I doubt that the writer of Mr. Brooks borrowed from Dexter. He may, however, read the book that the Dexter show was based on, "Darkly Dreaming Dexter."