• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MRAD or... Ballista or....

Jcremer24

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2020
Hi everyone! I am considering grabbing a .338 lapua magnum. I’ve narrowed down to the MRAD and the Ballista. I want to take a vote!
1 FOR THE MRAD and 2 for the Ballista! Would love to hear what you guys think too !
thanks all!

Hi everyone! So I am new to long range shooting in general

Hi,

IMO based on your statement above from another thread I would vote neither of them in LM or any LM for that matter.

The LM is just not the cartridge to attempt to learn the basics on.

You will potentially gain more bad habits due to the recoil and muzzle blast from it that make it harder for you to progress.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

IMO based on your statement above from another thread I would vote neither of them in LM or any LM for that matter.

You will potentially gain more bad habits due to the recoil and muzzle blast from it that make it harder for you to progress.

Sincerely,
Theis
Or buy a 6.5 conversion as well and start there

Reactions: Jcremer24
Between those two MRAD all day long. The FN Ballista leaves a lot to be desired IMO and the conversions are absurdly priced and very limited. You will want conversion kits because shooting 338 all the time will get very very old and very expensive. Just make sure you get the version of the MRAD that's convertible because they're doing ones that aren't now too.

But as others said, I'd much rather have an AI AXMC. It's a better rifle than both. And I'd buy it in 300WM or 300NM and add a 6.5 Creedmoor conversion kit with the SFP 308 bolt (currently out of stock but coming back in). 6.5 Creed for shooting inside 1200 yards and 300 with 215 Hybrids for 1200-2000 yards.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
If not an AXMC, then the MRAD. BUT, in addition to the advice above, I'll note that you will probably have difficulty finding ranges that will let you shoot their steel with a 338. Additionally, at ~$5 per factory round, it can be cost prohibitive (not to mention painful and probably impossible) to get proficient with it if you are not already spun up on your fundamentals. But if you must, do yourself a favor and go ahead and order the bolt, barrel, and mag kit for a 308 or smaller.

Having recently spent some some time with an Axmc and Mrad, Imho the Mrad is a solid choice. I will likely be adding one to my safe.

Reactions: amk
MRAD - Made in USA, monolithic upper, easy to change calibers. I am with the others, I would get a 308 barrel kit for practice, and to save cash and have more range options available.

Reactions: secm and amk
Be careful some of the new mrad are neutered with no folding stock and no quick change barell but still $4k

With the AI's on sale you will save money and more important the availability of barrels is way better then the MRAD or the Ballista. If you get the long action AXMC get the other bolts and mag well adapter and you can shoot any thing you want and its easy to get barrels. When i was looking at a multi barrel system i looked at AI,DTA,FN and MRAD. For me the fit finish and end cost of barrels made the AI the one for me. If you are wondering the short action cal's work flawless in in the long action. Good luck with you choice.

If I might offer some advice....

Don’t buy a 338, yet...

Your post sounds a lot like mine about seven years ago. I got the bug so bad I ended up starting my own rifle company in 2017. Coincidentally, I was between a 98 bravo and a Sako TRG 42. I went with the Barrett because I got a great price on a pmII as part of deal, and that it was American made.

At the time, I got a lot of advice from the forum not to do it, too much recoil, you’re not ready, as well as lots of folks trashing Barrett, to which I politely replied by telling them all to get bent lol. Ultimately, I’d recommend you doing whatever floats your boat. I would posit though that for a time you might have more fun out of something a little less serious. I’ve had three 338 lapuas, and I’ve all but abandoned shooting the caliber, even though I have thousands invested just in reloading components.

For a magnum, I’d look hard at 300 PRC. You really have to go to a 338 Improved to have any significant ballistic advantage over the PRC. I’m likely to re-chamber mine in Ackley sooner or later. Also, you can get match grade ammo from Hornady for about the price of Lapua brass in 338. Matches are the most fun I think you can have with a rifle and I don’t know if a 338 Lapua would be welcome at many.

If I could do it over, I’d probably start with a 6 Creedmoor or perhaps a 6.5 (little cheaper factory ammo). There are good factory offerings from Bergara and Tikka as well as Sako. A custom rifle from a reputable builder is always a joy to own. Spend the money on good glass. You’ll need many peripherals as well (chrono, rangefinder, shooting bags, bipod, etc).

Shoot me a PM if you’d like to chat. Maybe I can pass along some of the experiences I’ve had. Best of luck to you regardless. It’s a great sport.

Shep

I'd go Barrett and get a 300 Norma Magnum instead of the 338 Lapua. Adding a 6.5 Creedmoor and possibly a 308 for easy shooting and long barrel life.

Swapping barrels on the Barrett is a breeze. The FN Ballista is a contract gun not even made by FN with a grip safety :confused:

We have 2 MRADs with multiple barrels for testing. The 338 is probably my favorite to shoot. Recoil isn’t that bad as it is not a light rifle and the brake is pretty effective.

Be careful some of the new mrad are neutered with no folding stock and no quick change barell but still $4k
The standard MRADs are all change barrel and folding stock with MSRP $6154....only fluted barrels available.....heavy barrel discontinued. The SMR spin off is fixed stock and non-change barrel...all fluted...at $4995 MSRP. SMR is really newer version of the MRAD's predecessor M98 (now discontinued) fixed stock and fixed barrel/caliber.

Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis

Caliber is far less important than it's intended use.

I'm either going to go with ai or barrett. Still not sure until I get my paws on both.

Hi everyone! I am considering grabbing a .338 lapua magnum. I’ve narrowed down to the MRAD and the Ballista. I want to take a vote!
1 FOR THE MRAD and 2 for the Ballista! Would love to hear what you guys think too !
thanks all!
I went through your decision process several years ago. I looked closely at all the available type rifles....MRAD, Ballista, Sig3000, AXIC, et el. I chose MRAD and have never had buyers remorse. Between the MRAD and Ballista (and all others in this league), the MRAD is the choice. MRAD is $6154; Ballista...what....$7000. Suggest rethinking initial caliber/s, as others have suggested, to 6.5CM (too 1200yds) and 300PRC (out to 2000+yds). MRAD currently has 7 calibers available....7mm Rem Mag and 260 REM have been discontinued. Ballista only has three calibers...338LM, 300WM, and 308Win. MRAD is completely American made in Christianna, TN (south of Murfreesboro). Ask yourself why SOCCOM purchased MRAD over all others...Ballista, AXIC, etc.....in .300PRC. They can afford whatever meets their needs, and bet lives on the choice. GREAT rifle system with great cartridge.......50% first round hit probability at 2000yds criteria. Ronnie and Chris Barrett are perfectionists about their products. But, then, I'm prejudiced as I own several Barrett "rainbows".......MRAD in 5 colors and 8 calibers; the M107A1 (.50BMG semi-auto) in four colors; the REC7 in 5 colors, 3 calibers, several configurations, and the REC10 in both available colors. I'm hooked. Please, Ronnie, don't start making them in Muddy Girl Camo or my GF is going to start wanting them.

Get the Barrett. Welcome to the family. It's kinda like the Harley-Davidson experience in the cycle world. Although you can buy better motorcycles than HD, you can't get the experience with any other bike. However, with the Barrett you get the experience and the best rifle.

Last edited:
I had a Sako TRG42 (it was great).
3 of my shooting buddies have MRADS. All three shoot great, easy barrel change with no noticeable change in POI, after barrel change.

“IF” I buy another ELR rifle, it will be a MRAD.
I have no experience with Ballista

Reactions: secm and Jcremer24
Caliber is far less important than it's intended use.

Hi,

Well being his intended use is to "learn" precision rifle shooting since he is new to it per his own words then the cartridge selection is very important.
That is why you see pretty much everyone advising him to go with a smaller cartridge than the 338LM. There is a reason for that!!

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
I'm either going to go with ai or barrett. Still not sure until I get my paws on both.

Pretty good idea to get hands on both, maybe sooner rather than later before the inexpensive AXMCs start to disappear. Personal preference is pretty big here, as the the guns perform the same but the AI is a bit more refined in feel and more adjustable.

I have a Sako TRG42 in 338 LM. I have compeated against both of your choices and have never been out shot! And all for a mear $3400. To each his own.

Where are you finding a new TRG42s in .338lm for $3400? ~$4000-4200 is more likely. I have seen new MRADs from the same retailers for $500 more. I love TRG 42s, and still have one, but an MRAD is a lot more capability and features for a little bit more money.

Pretty good idea to get hands on both, maybe sooner rather than later before the inexpensive AXMCs start to disappear. Personal preference is pretty big here, as the the guns perform the same but the AI is a bit more refined in feel and more adjustable.

Where are you finding a new TRG42s in .338lm for $3400? ~$4000-4200 is more likely. I have seen new MRADs from the same retailers for $500 more. I love TRG 42s, and still have one, but an MRAD is a lot more capability and features for a little bit more money.

Bought my TRG 42 in 2016 from Europtics.com Back then. The 42 was $3650 and the 22 was $3200 They have come down for good reason, Both Sako and Tikka are redoing there lines. The Sako has was introduced the new S20 in 6.6prc, Tikka is evpected to do the same in the fall. You can buy a TRG22 now for $2750. Pisses me off

Way more product support for the AXMC more calibers more barrels and more different barrel lengths and all are available from multiple manufacturers. Also 300PRC is 338 Lapua performance but at 50% the cost.

Reactions: 6brshooter
Way more product support for the AXMC more calibers more barrels and more different barrel lengths and all are available from multiple manufacturers. Also 300PRC is 338 Lapua performance but at 50% the cost.
300PRC is 338L performance? Are you high?

Its slightly faster than 300WM without the belted case making reloading much easier.

300NM is the 338L killer at half the cost.

And guess what the primary caliber for the MRAD is...……...The one SOCOM just adopted...……………..you can do it...………..

Definitely MRAD out of the two because Barrett supports it, but I wouldn't want to learn on either in .338LM like the rest of the gang said. Not saying the Ballista isn't neat, but FN doesn't care about it because it doesn't have any US contracts. Product support is going to be zero. Sako M10 is good option too, but the caliber conversions are a big chunk of change.

I had an AXSA and AXMC, sold the MC, and just bought another one. I also have an MRAD, a 98B in .338LM, and a TRG22 in .338LM.

If you are dead set on a large magnum at some point and want it all out of a single gun nothing is going to beat the AXMC. Plus barrels can be had for cheap in any caliber you have a bolt body for. Barely used and even new barrels go from $400-600 on here every day. Mile High's support of the AI in terms of parts and service is far beyond the factory support you'll get from the others as well (Mile High is better than everyone at pretty much everything they do).

The guys saying to start with a 6.5CM or something smaller and going up if you feel the need once you're a competent shooter are giving some wise advice.

Last edited:
Bought my TRG 42 in 2016 from Europtics.com Back then. The 42 was $3650 and the 22 was $3200 They have come down for good reason, Both Sako and Tikka are redoing there lines. The Sako has was introduced the new S20 in 6.6prc, Tikka is evpected to do the same in the fall. You can buy a TRG22 now for $2750. Pisses me off

I looked a EO prices after I posted, and I was wrong. .338 TRGs are now on sale closer to $3500 and MRADs have gone up across the board. Not that a .338 makes any sense as a first rifle, I just wanted to correct that post.

If MRADs are around $6000 and AXMCs are around $6750, I think the AXMC is the better buy at those prices and would be worth pursuing. The chassis adjustability over the MRAD is worth it.

Unless I am misunderstanding AI's product line, the AXMC will be phased out in favor of the AXSR, which is much more expensive.

Bought my first MRAD locally here for $5500, could have gotten it for $5400 from EuroOptic but just went with the local guy to give him some business.

I LOVE (LOVE LOVE) my MRAD. I have barrels in 6.5-CM, 300-WM, and 338-Lapua. Best long range rifle in my arsenal (by far).

I realize that this conversation as turned away from choosing between a MRAD or Ballista.

I do agree with learning on a small caliber.

I stretched my .223 out to 1000 yards for my first year or two. Admittedly, this was not by design. It was just the way things worked out. I couldn’t wait to get a “big gun”.

if you want to learn to read wind, try shooting a 69 grain 223 at 1k! I learned wind...
-Like wind at 12:00 effects POI long before I saw a chart that showed it.

I have spent some time spotting 6.5CM out to 2,000 too. Not easy past 1,000 yards. Depending on conditions.

But, the draw back to small caliber long range is spotting your misses! Hell, it’s hard to call your hits... Sometimes, the strike indicator (if you are lucky enough to have them or a camera) doesn’t activate with light impacts.
-You can’t make a correction, if you can’t see your miss!

Very frustrating

My point is, it is a balance!
-Especially, for someone working on their basics.

Learning on a 338LM is like learning to drive with an 18-wheeler. Not only is it wrong while you're learning...you might just find you NEVER need one.

Lastly, if you end up w/ anything other than an AI or MRAD (based on your starting list desires), you're wrong. With current AXMC prices, it's a no-brainer.

But, the draw back to small caliber long range is spotting your misses! Hell, it’s hard to call your hits... Sometimes, the strike indicator (if you are lucky enough to have them or a camera) doesn’t activate with light impacts.
-You can’t make a correction, if you can’t see your miss!
I struggle to spot my misses ... irrespective of caliber, but that's just me.

I have a Ballista. I posted a picture of it a while back, in another Ballista thread. I have not yet shot it. Most owners seem to like them and the reviews are positive. Unique Alpine builds hi-quality rifles and the Ballista does not disappoint. A .308 WIN conversion kit is available. No doubt the MRAD is also a good system. Good luck with your choice.

Best option is for FN to sell their share back, to U.A. Unfortunately U.A. does not have liability insurance to sell rifles in the USA.